HED Jet Black Brake Pad Recommendations

For those that are running HED Black wheels what are you using for brake pads? Coming from full carbon rims and looking for improved braking performance, ideally in dry and wet.

Thanks

I’m a big fan of SwissStop BXP compound pads for alloy wheels. Such good modulation.

Wasn’t sure where to post this but hoping someone can help.

I just bought a set of new HED Jet 6 black wheels and the quality control stickers are dated 2017 for one wheel and 2018 for the other. Seems very odd to me. Should I be concerned that they’ve been sitting in a warehouse for 2-3 years? Also, the front wheel is out of true.

Kind of disappointing after spending so much money.

Did you get them direct from HED?

No, purchased from MBS.

Curious - did you follow up with MBS and if so what was their reply?

Yes I called them and spoke to a women (don’t remember her name) who gave me a pretty snarky response that the wheels were fine and that everything was normal - the general attitude I got from them was that they were annoyed I was questioning anything. I then called HED directly who were much more friendly, they said it was strange that they would be dated that old but that there had been no design changes and that the warranty would apply should there be any defects. I’ve run them on just about every ride since May and have had zero issues, love the wheels.

Following up on brake pads - I started with Kool Stop blacks which had good modulation but seemed to leave faint streak marks on the brake track no matter how clean I tried to keep them. I switched to standard Shimano black pads (HED rep recommended) and there’s much less modulation but no streaking.

Oh and the braking is crazy good, I can’t imagine needing any more stopping power.

2 Likes

What is the warranty? I’m considering getting a set, but wasn’t sure what the warranty was. Also, what do you mean with reference to modulation?

The HED manufacturer’s warrantee is five years from the date of purchase, non transferable.

When I had a pair of blacks I also used the standard Shimano pads. Anything softer will probably get eaten up by the rims, but if the pads are too hard the textured surface wont do much. I’m sure there is a better pad out there but you cant beat the price and availability of Shimano.

Warranty: Warranty Policy - HED Cycling

Brake modulation is how much finesse or control you have over the braking power. With the kool stops I could brake very softly or come to a near complete stop and everything in between based on how much pressure I applied to the brake levers. The Shimano pads have a lot of bite as soon as they contact the brake surface, it’s harder to control the braking power with them.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve been looking at getting a set of either 6 black or 6/9 black and at getting them through MBS so this is good to know. So far I’ve generally only read good things. Glad you are liking your wheels.

1 Like