Haute Route participants thread

So how are you all training for either of the longer Haute Routes (5 or 7 day)? I understand doing multi-day blocks of intensity is the recommended way to go (followed by a couple off/easy recovery days). Just not sure of the intensity. All sweetspot? First day threshold, 2nd sweetspot, , third tempo? I have the fascat HR plan and dont really like its layout. What do you all think is the best plan, for say the last month and a half, leading up to the event?

Since the start of the year, I did

SS Base Mid Volume
Sustained Power Mid Volume
SS Base High Volume

The next few weeks will be 3 times a week on TR (some Vo2, low cadence) with one 5 hr outdoor ride on the weekend and a taper for HR pyrenees.

I am in better shape than last year at this point, plan now to complete itwithout crashing out. :blush:

2 Likes

I checked out the event app for Alpe d’Huez, and was wondering how to understand the cut-off times. For example on the first day, the cut-off time in Barrage du Verney at 18.4 km, is 7:40 for the first rider and 7:45 for the last rider. That’s only a 5 minute difference? How does that work? Does it mean that the first timing mat will be at Barrage du Verney? Could one in theory start at Barrage du Verney, :slight_smile:

I very much expect us to start day one out in The Valley. Usually these events don’t start with a cold start at the top of a mountain. Also, don’t think this is an actually cut off time, just the time they expect it to take for the entire peloton to move through.

Edit: after looking through the documents. The only cut off times on day one are the Croix de Fer (first and second time).
On the second time there is only Les Deux Alps which is a cut off time.
The other times are expected times of arrival.

1 Like

Hey guys, Alpe d’Huez is getting close! Wishing you good luck. I just keep my fingers crossed we won’t get too much rain.

1 Like

Yeah, I am a little worried about the rain. Although 3 days ago it still said 30+ and sunny, so let’s see what the forecast is in 3 days from now.
Right now it’s rather a little too warm for my liking:

3 Likes

Ah you already arrived? How cool.

1 Like

Looks so sweet to be there. Right now my trip is hanging in a very thin thread as Brussel Airlines have warned about cancelled flights on Thursday due to a “call for social actions” (basically a time limited strike) by their employees…

Man, that sucks. From Brussels however, it’s a half day drive to get to Alpe d‘Huez. Took me a cool 13 hours from Hamburg.

1 Like

They just cancelled our flight. We travel from Norway so Brussels was only a transfer.

The mountains will be there next year as well :slight_smile:

That’s so disappointing!

Oyess… And HR is not letting us defer our entry, citing paragraphs at us (we are a group of 4 traveling). While I understand the reasoning being this clause I disagree to using it against us in this particular case. This is a very expensive event and I hope they could apply some common sense in this case, but I’m not getting my hopes up…

2 Likes

I keep my fingers crossed! It would be reasonable to offer a deferred entry as the strike happens completely beyond your control. It also makes sense from a business perspective - 4 happy clients are likely to return to another HR event and give good press.

With all the flight cancellations across Europe, I’m lucky it’s a relatively short ride for me.

The photos of Sportograph are up. Some really nice motives they got👍🏻

I particularly loved this one taken during the TT:

It epitomizes Alpe d‘Huez with its hairpins, where you can see your chasers by looking down.

2 Likes