Hammer H3 or Jet Black Volt for a crazy deal? Coming off a 2016 Kickr

Been using a 2016 Kickr since…2016 and wondering if I should upgrade given some of the sales right now. Hypothetically, if you could get a Saris H3 or Jet Black Volt (same as the new Zwift trainer) for $300, which would you get?

My Kickr works, but it’s got a ton of miles on it so I bet it’s not long for this world. Wondering if the overall feel and experience is better with these newer trainers? Or should I just save $300.

Use with TR and Zwift. Primary trainer bike would be a thru-axle, disc gravel bike, 11 spd. If that matters

1 Like

IMO, the Saris for the same, or even a slightly higher price, is a no brainer. Larger flywheel, greater accuracy ( especially for ERG), etc.

2 Likes

I went for the h3 back in January and have been very happy. One thing I haven’t seen mentioned yet is because of how well the H3 works in ERG mode with TrainerRoad. DCRainmakers trainer buying guide was incredibly helpful in this regard and effectively said “buy the h3 if TrainerRoad is your main indoor riding solution.”

1 Like

Are the H3s still available at the crazy deal price? I thought they went back up on their site…

2 Likes

They’re still in stock and on sale through a major US distributor, so if you’re looking for one, you might ask your LBS for a quote.

The H3 in the $300 price range has got to be one of the best bargains in cycling right now. When it launched at $999 it was considered a bit of a “deal” as it undercut the KICKR and TACX NEO pricing.