GP5000s died. New tire recommendation?

I don’t know if they have changed since I used them last. I found them a great grippy, fast and robust tyre. Up to a point, then they’d suddenly fail overnight.

Super happy with my Hutchinson Fusion 5’s. Additional bonus is that they’re made in France.

2 Likes

I’ve had a great experience with Turbo Cottons, haven’t tried the GP 5000 but somewhat hesitant to over concerns with hypothetical issues with changing them on the road side.
At present leaning towards tan wall Michelin Power Cups. I have non-tubeless wheels so will be going clincher. The only concern seems to be the narrow tread but haven’t seen anyone actually have issues with this yet. Huge thread on Weight Weenies about them New Michelin Power Cup Tubeless: GP5K S TR competitor - Weight Weenies

I think it was a Sheldon Brown article that debunks tread on a narrow road bike tyre as only a ‘sales gimmick’. Tread there isn’t needed as the tyre is too narrow to aquaplane unless you can hit an impossible speed. A wider motorbike tyre has to hit something closer to 100mph or something, a narrower road bike tyre cuts through water like ‘a knife through butter’. Im tubeless these days which originally ruled out Mitchelin Powers but I ran them before on my good bike (and still do on my TT bike and commuter, Power TT and Endurance) and would have no qualms about their lack of tread, its more to do with the compound and there’s more of that in contact with the road. Good choice and enjoy :+1:

1 Like

I’m not a big guy, and most definitely not strong. 5000’s aren’t hard to put on a rim. It’s just technique. Takes me no more than 30 seconds to take off/put on. I use one lever to remove, none to put back on.

2 Likes

Just checked these out. They look great compared to the gp5000, especially when you factor in the price!

We’re they easy to fit?

1 Like

Keep in mind though that the concrete combination with a certain rim can make a difference too. But in the end, I’d say practice makes perfect and it is possible to mount GP5000s on the roadside.
Wouldn’t trade those for anything else for normal training and a little bit of racing.

I use the 4 Seasons on the winter/commuter bike (and they feel way slower).

No issues at all. When I only had one pair of wheels I swapped them a few times between my Specialized Pathfinder Pro’s and they’ve never been hard to fit. I’ve sometimes used a lever to put the last part in place but fitting those has always been relatively smooth. I now run two pairs of wheels so it’s been a while since I took them off.

1 Like

Not the most durable, but IMO nothing touches the road feel of the Vittoria Corsa G2.

2 Likes

Never had problems with GP5000 - they are simply in a different league to anything else - on my summer road bike and my TT bike with latex tubes. Durable and v fast. That said I weigh 61kg and I do know some who are heavier who have problems with the side walls. I would say if you are 70kg or less you can’t beat them - 80kg plus maybe try the Michelin power road, or maybe Schwalbe pro 1 :thinking:

I’ve ordered them to try out :+1: :pray:

1 Like

So do you start at the valve when removing the tire?

Typically I do not start at the valve, its too tight and I don’t want to damage anything there, so I start at the opposite end where there is more space to remove the tire.

1 Like

P-Zero addict here too. It’s the only tire I’ve had on my bikes for the last 4(?) years since they were introduced. They slide onto Fulcrum wheels, Venn wheels, Hunt wheels, HED Ardennes. Zero issues. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not quite sure how I managed this. There is a snakebite on my latex tube but I didn’t hit pothole, maybe sharp rock? I was running 5,5 bars as Silca recommends.

It only had 300k’s on it :pensive:

:cry:

Thought about it but new one is “only” 40 euros.

1 Like

Awesome! Keen to hear your feedback once you’ve put them on :sunglasses:

Looks like the same damage as my S-works turbos, except your upper puncture is much larger.

Big +1 for the Veloflex tires.

1 Like