GP 5000 TL Rolling Resistance - New best road tire?

See above.

Great insight on this new tire!

The million dollar question - are they worth the price increase over GP 4000ii’s?

I’ve got a bunch of GP400ii in the garage. Are they really THAT much better that I should consider not using these?

1 Like

I’ll be interested to hear what you think of the 5.6 disc after some fast descents in crosswinds. Briefly saw Jonathan’s bike at Land Park, but I was frozen like an ice cube and forgot to look at his wheels. Took over an hour to thaw out, that was one cold morning :cold_face:

1 Like

I stuffed the 28s on my Orbea Ordu and road a 12 hour time trial with them. With some latex tubes they roll nice.

If you believe the online data…I went from GP 4k 25s with standard tubes to GP 5k 28s with latex tubes. Supposedly I saved 1 watt/tire switching to 28s, 1.9 watt/tire switching to latex tubes, and 1.6 watt/tire switching from GP 4k to GP 5k.

That’s getting on the order of 10 watts which close to my wattage threshold of perception. I don’t know that I really felt a power difference though. But I’m generally a macro absorber and not a micro adjuster. I can move my seat or stem by half an inch and not be too bothered by it…so maybe it is a big difference to those who would normally notice such a thing.

On the other hand I did finish on the podium. So who knows.

I was running 80-85 on my tubeless setup. Currently have Zipp RT-25 as a winter tire, and have backed down to 70-75 as the chart recommends 74 for me. Seems fine.

Is there now someplace to buy these online that it in stock and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg?

I’ll eventually work my way down to 65 or so as they recommend - but I need some more time getting used to it. Baby steps

1 Like

I think the 5000 uses the same tread pattern, which, from what I understand, is the reason the 4000s are good aerodynamically.

Also FYI, but as I just noted I rode the GP 5k 28s on my Orbea Ordu for 11 hours and 44 minutes. No prob with the tires. I also have them stuffed onto an NK1K frame. No prob. But it could be the internal width of my rims are different so YMMV.

The big win for me is what I call “the tubeless miracle” of avoiding the 1-3 flat repairs a month once early summer arrives and the goat head thorns are out in full force for 6+ months
goat_head_thorns

1 Like

Road tubeless, for me at least, has been noticeably slower at recommended pressures…and I think there is some data out there to support this?

But anyhow, at pressures high enough to make tubeless faster than Latex…all the sealant blows out when I puncture! Ha! But this certainly could be a user head-space issue. I’m no tubeless expert for sure.

Ok…here’s the road tubeless rolling resistance comparison:

And that’s at regular road pressures. My experience is that at those pressures puncture protection from tubeless is minimal.

1 Like

I started out running Schwalbe Pro Ones and Specialized S-Works Turbo at 80-95 psi and on the road they feel fast and better than Conti GP4KIIs. With goat heads I’ll stop and pull it out, seals immediately. With larger cuts (glass, metal) I have to stop and spin tire with cut side down, to get it to seal, but after a couple of minutes I roll away and its good. Worst case I pull the plug kit out of my back pocket, add a little air, and keep moving.

1 Like

I was using Stan’s Sealant. Do you think it’s a good choice? Or maybe I should ask what sealants you’ve had good luck with…

1 Like

Orange Seal here.

2 Likes

I hope that’s not the case. I just purchased the 23c clinchers because all the reviews I read said they measure smaller than the 4000 series. I spent the extra money for the 5000s for this reason. I hope to mount them soon to find out. My internal rim is 17c

that is the question. For the price and wait, if I needed another set of tires right now then its going to be the S-Works Turbo Road Tubeless for about the same money.

Have you got a link for these tables?

Its right on the page for my particular wheels: https://www.enve.com/en/products/ses-5-6-disc/

Scroll down and you’ll see it.

1 Like

Wow. I’m not on Enves but I’m running 25mm tubeless in rims with 19mm internal width. At 70kg that gives me 60-63psi!

Sounds good for winter but I might switch that up a bit for the Canaries…

I grabbed it from Enve’s website, scroll down to the pressure recommendations here

https://www.enve.com/en/products/ses-5-6/

2 Likes