Go to Oatmeal Recipes?

My base recipe is:
2/3 cup rolled oats
1 scoop of vegan protein powder
1/2 tbsp each of chia, Flax, and hemp seeds
Some shredded coconut
1 cup almond milk

Mix everything together in a bowl and microwave for a minute and a half, top with slices of banana.

I can add different toppings to that for variety, like a cup of frozen mixed berries, frozen peaches and mangos, a tbsp of cacao powder and peanut butter. For the frozen fruit I just add them to the mix before microwaving and add an extra 30 seconds to 1 minute.

1 Like

1/2 cup steel cut oats (reduce the amount of water by about 1/4 cup if using frozen fruit)
frozen blueberries (added halfway during the cook time)
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
I usually cook the oats for about 15ish minutes as I like them chewier.

Toppings:
Banana
Pumpkin Seeds
Pecans
Collagen (on occasion)
Over Easy Egg (on occasion)
Honey or Maple Syrup (roughly 2 tsp)

1 Like

Oat groats for me were a game changer.

I do a batch in the slow cooker for the rest of the week. I like them cold but the girlfriend prefer it warmed up in the microwave.

I cook them to be less sticky and more individual grains texture, but not much.

Toppings can be anything really:

Banana, peanut butter and a bit of honey

Banana, grapes and apples

Seeds, nuts and berries

… or all of the above.

1 Like

Just prepared this. Will review tomorrow!

4 Likes

Similar to others:

3/4 cup oatmeal
diced apples, microwave for 5 minutes @80%
add a tablespoon of peanut butter - mix, let stand for a few minutes
then 1 scoop ON protein powder - chocolate coconut flavor - might need a little more water to blend
sprinkle raisins on top

1 Like

Oat Pizza Recipe:

1 part steel cut oats
100 parts pizza

5 Likes

Overnight oats

40g jumbo oats (I guess they might be what are called steel cut oats)
10g chia seeds
35g dried cranberries
200ml soya milk

Leave overnight in the fridge and sprinkle on top 10g of flaxseed before eating.

Alternative to that, if I’ve forgotten to prepare my breakfast the previous night:

Porridge

40g jumbo oats
10g chia
35g sultanas (dates work well too)
200ml soya milk

Microwave for 2m30s. Stir in 15g of coconut jam and 15g of crunchy almond butter.

4 Likes

I use the recipe in the back of The Endurance Diet as a base, and I double it otherwise I’m too hungry by mid morning. Once you have the base made, you can add whatever toppings you want on it. I tend to stick with whatever berries are on sale at the store, but have also recently fallen for peanut butter and chocolate or cubed apple and cinnamon.

• 1 cup of milk (cook’s choice)
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 sliced banana
  • 2 teaspoons of dark brown sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 cup of uncooked old fashioned oats

Place all but the oats in a pot and bring to a boil. Add in oats and stir. Let the boil rise, then stir, and turn down heat to simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook until you get your desired consistency, then add in whatever toppings you want. I often go for blue berries or strawberries and add nuts for texture.

Alternatively, making the recipe as listed in The Endurance Diet with liquid egg whites at the end to give it a custard texture and experience is also amazing. It makes it a lot more filling.

3 Likes

Maybe not quite what you are looking for, but I love me some oatmeal bread: Grainy Concoction: Whole Wheat Multigrain Sandwich Loaf | Bakers and Best

2 Likes

Just thought of another one I like, especially in the warmer months - bircher muesli. Rolled oats, milk, plain yogurt, chopped up fruit (I usually do a banana and an apple), cinnamon, overnight in the fridge. Might have to make myself some of that this week :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some of these sound fantastic!
If I have an ealry workout/ride and have to be at work I do overnight oats.
1.5 cups rolled oats
dash of salt
2 tsp. of brown sugar or 1T of honey
fistful of beries
1T chia seeds
Milk (your choice) to cover mixture

If I have time in the morning to cook oats:
1.5 cups water
1 cup milk
1.5 cups rolled oat
honey to taste
I will cut up bananas and mix in some peanut butter or throw in frozen berries.

Pro tip: If you cook your oatmeal and you need to eat fast throw in frozen berries. The oatmeal will cool, the berries will thaw and you can devour it quickly.

1 Like

It was excellent! :smiley: Recommended.

2 Likes

Similar overnight oats recipe, but with either honey or maple syrup. Kitchen rule #1: anything that can be made using maple syrup must be done using maple syrup.

Simplest: drop a handful of oats in the blender when making the morning smoothie.

3 Likes

Go savory.

Add kakao, nutritional yeast and microwave. Hits the spot!

Or add peas, veg, tomato passata to make a risotto style meal.

2 Likes

40g is so little mate!

4 Likes

I’ve recently been enjoying the Alton Brown recipe. I make with a mix of skim and almond milk, add raisins and cinnamon to the base recipe then top with berries. Toasting the oats first really does add a nice flavor.

2 Likes

Not a recipe, but I have been adding Masa to all of my oats recently. It makes it so that the oats don’t boil over if you are cooking in the microwave and makes a bowl of oats so much creamier. I would highly recommend.

Agree that 40g is not much - I have 80g porridge oats every morning.

I always use same volume of milk as oats and then half volume of water. Always add 10g chia seeds.

Then for flavours - sometimes big handful of frozen berries (get out evening before or microwave quickly) and little honey or banana and peanut butter or apple and cinnamon or banana and Nutella or sometimes just big dollop of jam.

This morning I ALSO tried adding the whisked egg in at the end…and WOW - made it much thicker and creamier. Great recommendation!!!

3 Likes

For all you folks doing overnight oats. What containers are you using for that? I’ve always found my overnight oats to be far too runny for my liking and I get the feeling my container is too tall and narrow and it needs to be a bit wider to ensure everything is mixed well. Or do you mix before putting it in the container?

Yeah I first encountered this with the Endurance Diet recipe called Custard Oats, and it is decadent. Definitely recommended if you’re looking to add a little more protein to the meal.

1 Like

I’ve done overnight oats in various containers, some wider and some taller but never noticed much difference… however I do use less liquid with overnight oats than with normal porridge (oatmeal to those over the pond!)…maybe around 70%. Also if using frozen fruit (like I normally do) remember that adds extra liquid as it melts.

2 Likes