Give me a swig of some hot, nasty Gatorade

Hey all,
I wish ts was warm and summery in Utah, so instead of spending money traveling somewhere warm, I’m going to do the next best thing-talk about hot, nasty drinks.
On long rides in summer, when the temp on the asphalt is 100f or more, no matter how much ice you put in a bottle, drink mix gets disgustingly hot.
Demon tears, aka beta fuel at 100f, is a big limiter for me during summer races as the concoction becomes so repulsive I might prefer drinking curdled milk from a cow that died of the plague and has been sitting in an empty field rotting for a month. What is the best way to ‘train myself’ if that’s even possible, so that I can stomach a nice, hot cup of nightmares?
If just doing it more is the answer, should I just mix my trainer bottles fresh and top them off with hot water from a pot/kettle? Any advice on not succumbing to the slow, agonizing death that is summer drink mix would be appreciated.

3 Likes

For me, the solution is insulated bottles frozen overnight. I live in Houston. :hot_face:

4 Likes

I freeze mine solid, but that plan fails after stopping to top off later in the ride or taking a neutral hand up :melting_face:

1 Like

I plan my rides around gas stations. I’m not fast enough for neutral hand ups! :rofl:

1 Like

:rofl: Yummy!
No solution to offer. Sorry.
I needed that laugh. Thanks.

1 Like

I’m getting the idea that nobody specifically targets drinking disgusting demon wee before summer months…gee, I can’t imagine why? :sweat_smile:
@Nate_Pearson always talks about an iron gut while @Jonathan talks about a sensitive gut.
Have either of you, on opposite ends of the stomach spectrum (that’s a thing btw) worked on hot liquid prep?

This…with two large Camelbak insulated bottles, I can go ~3 hours with cold to cool liquids. Refill at a gas station while packing the bottles with ice and I can go ~2 hours. Just need to realize that your calories are dramatically reduced in the bottle as a result of the ice, so you have to increase your actual food or gel intake.

1 Like

dumb question, but what you mean calories are dramatically reduced as a result of the ice?

Same, and when it’s hot, I’m lucky to get 45 mins out of a large bottle with 60-90g carbs. I even drink that much in my house sometimes.

2 Likes

The ice takes up space in the bottle, so the amount of actual calorie packed liquid you can put in the bottle is reduced. You are effectively watering down whatever nutrition you put in the bottle.

I have never needed to drink much on the bike…But even going off the “standard” of 1 bottle / hour, 2 large bottles is ~ 2.5 hours worth of liquid (24 oz vs. 20 oz, so ~1:15 vs. 1 hour).

1 Like

I’d puke…seriously.

That said, I am working on dramatically increasing my calories / hour this year…did ~70g / hour this weekend on 2 different rides and I felt bloated the whole ride. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Ah ok.
Cause what i do is mix everything up, and fill up the bottle almost all the way up and put it in the freezer like that. That way i leave a bit of room so the ice can expand.
I don’t think i’m losing a lot of calories by leaving around 1 finger of water out if this makes any sense…

2 Likes

I definitely had this problem before I found the Malto:Fructose solution. I can’t even stomach 40g carbs/hr from Skratch in heat or I will literally get sick. Maurten and then “make your own” have been massive MASSIVE game changers for me.

1 Like

Regarding puking,
I tend to drink less when it’s really hot because it tastes so nasty, which only leads to further problems from dehydration.

1 Like

Yup…that is what I do when I leave, so yes, you are getting the full calorie count. But when you refill on the road, you don’t have that option…so you can choose between having cool liquid that warms up faster (due to lack of ice), but full calories or you can have cold liquid that will last longer due to ice, but have lower calories.

1 Like

Ah ok, now i fully understand what you meant. Apologies. :grinning:

1 Like

Have you tried Maurten? It’s pretty close to flavorless when compared to the competition. It’s also wicked expensive.

None necessary!!