Garmin Vector 3 or Favero Assioma power based pedals?

Got them too, clipping in is no prob. Love em.

1 Like

Regarding float. Has anyone gone fra from Speedplay to Assioma? I have a history of bad knees prior to picking up cycling so I chose speedplay for their huge float. Never had any other pedal in my 8 years of road biking, so it’s a leap of faith changing these (and a costly leap with the Assioma pedals…). But the Assioma pedals are tempting and my patience with Stages is starting to run out…

I had the Vector 3 but sent them back. They were hopeless, power drop outs, did not connect, battery cover problems … hopeless software. Powertap P1 pedals flawless.

1 Like

Favero have addressed the problem by replacing the original silver (high tension) springs with lower tension black ones. I bought a pair of Assiomas earlier this year and they had the black springs. I have absolutely no problem clipping in or unclipping. I also use Look grey cleats instead of the red cleats that come with the Assiomas. Note: there are probably still plenty of retailers that have the original silver spring Assiomas in stock and on sale. Check with the retailer before you buy. Go for the black spring version and you’ll be fine.

1 Like

I have the Vectors for a few months now and had zero issues so far.

I have the original silver springs assioma and I would definitely buy them again - especially if the black springs address the tight release tension.

Three people in my club have vector 3 and 3 have the faveros. All the people with vectors have had some issues with drop outs but the guy with the oldest set definitely has the most issues - I think Garmin have improved things with the battery cover.

It’s not all plain sailing with the faveros though. While the others have had no issues I have had to RMA one right pedal due to the power drifting throughout a ride. Favero support were good and they sent out a replacement pedal fairly quickly.

Both brands have their issues but I would choose the assioma again purely due to their rechargeable battery.

1 Like

This has definitely been my experience. I bought the left only Vector 3S which has had some kind of issue pretty much from the get go. This year I added the right hand upgrade pedal and sent the left pedal to Garmin to be replaced. They’ve been absolutely flawless since which makes me want to believe that they’ve now sorted whatever issues they were having.

If I were buying today as a new purchaser though I’d probably get the Faveros. Every single person I know has had issues with the Vectors at some point and it’s just not worth the risk.

After 3 Vector 3 Dual replacements, I switched to single Assioma pedals. They have been perfect.

I had the same question and it ended with me purchasing the Assiomas. Great choice and they’re within 2% accuracy of my Tacx Neo or vice versa but I use the Neo as a benchmark for all my powermeters.

+1 for the Assiomas. I’ve only had them for a month or so, but haven’t had any issues with them. Paired to my Wahoo without issue, and power output appears to be consistent. I have no other experience with power meters, other than virtual power, but these are great so far.

Clipping out can be tight, just be sure to loosen the tensioner a turn or two and you’re good to go!

Owned Assioma for 1,5 year. Never a problem, works like a charm!

The assioma is based on the xpedo pedal wich I would rate the best Look-system pedal, so if one would want pedals for another bike buy the xpedos.

I Switched from decades of Speedplay to Assioma. I don’t actually need the huge float. I just need to get that cleat angle correct which is larger than the angle that you can get on most shoes. I can get about 4 or 5 degrees by rotating the cleats on the shoes and the rest from the 6 degree float in the cleats.

I’ll just chime in here: I’ve been happy with my Garmin Vector 3 (dual-sided). I bought them right out of the gate, so I’ve experienced most of the issues that are out there. In both cases, Garmin’s customer service smoked my experience with Wahoo, so I’ve been overall very happy with my purchase more than 18 months later.

That said, my experience alongside everything I’ve read about about the Assiomas on here has me wishing three things:

1. I had gone single-sided. I’m usually at worst 53-47 power balance, so I don’t really care about a dual-sided PM ever again. Single sided is good enough.

2. Since I went pedal-based, I wish I had gone with the Assiomas.

3. I wish I had gone other than pedal-based. I’ve had a number of pedal strikes in crits, and the handling issue is less my concern. I’m more worried about breaking expensive PM pedals. I know the Garmins are the worst of the three players in terms of clearance, but it’s one thing I definitely miss about my Speedplay pedals: I could pedal through or pedal late into turns and early out of turns just about anytime I wanted to. I’ve made adjustments to my riding which have mostly resolved this, but in the future I’ll go crank-based on any bikes I buy. I’ve not been switching bikes all that much recently, which was why I went pedal-based in the first place. Perhaps when I go back to racing tris, I’ll benefit again.

1 Like

0* cleats for everyone then?

1 Like

Not sure what you are referring to in reference to “conjecture and assumptions”. If it is regarding pedal float I can state that for me the cleat angle on the shoe is very important since I have a congenital twist of both lower legs. If I try to force me feet to be straight on the pedals I can feel the twisting tension in my knees. If I ignore it I end up with knee pain. Having float makes it easier for me to get the correct rotation angle. Especially since most cleats have very limited rotation on most shoes.

2 Likes

I thought that the garmins actually had the best clearance not the worst? I’ll have to dig out the DC rainmaker article…

Check me on that, but I can tell you from my experience, it’s pretty easy for me to pedal strike, so if the V3s are the best in that regard, I’d be surprised. And I’m on 170mm cranks!

I agree in principle- floatless cleats can work IF you can get the angle right. However, my problem is that you can’t rotate the cleat enough to get the angle correct. I have to use the float for that. I rode fixed Look cleats for several years (in the 80’s) and had knee problems until the Time cleats with float came out. That made it somewhat better. Then Speedplay X series came out and my problems went away and I also measured my self-selected foot angle. At that point I was ok a long as the angle matched.

I had both. The vector 3 had to be sent back to Garmin twice. Their customer service is decent but I wouldn’t recommend them. The metal cap screws into a plastic housing which can lead to stripped threads. I had constant spikes and dropouts even after the cap redesign. Garmin recommendation was to put mineral oil on the batteries themselves. This improved the spikes but they were still there. And finally the battery life is embarrassing low. The Assioma pedals I replaced them with are far superior in every way my opinion.

1 Like

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/09/power-meter-pedal-shootout-vector-3-vs-powertap-p1-vs-assioma.html/amp

Essentially not much in it but ray managed to tip his bike 27 degrees with the faveros and 29 degrees with the garmins.

Not a great deal in it and both worse than a normal look pedal (35 degrees).

Not sure what speedplays are but probably better still?

1 Like