Garmin Rally RS200 - Shimano Cleat Incompatibility

I recently purchased Garmin Rally RS200 pedals for use with official Shimano SPD-SL cleats (yellow).

Upon installing the Garmin pedals, clipping in and pedalling, I experienced vertical play between the cleat and pedal body, in both left/right pedals. This is not the rotational float that the cleats are designed to have - it’s more of a side-to-side rocking of the shoe/foot atop the pedal. Video here: https://youtu.be/RF1KdJ85xho

These official Shimano yellow cleats are c.1 month old with little wear. They interface correctly with Ultegra and 105 pedals. Cleat bolts are tight etc.

I wish to continue using Shimano cleats with 6 degrees float, rather than swap to Garmin’s cleats with 4.5 degrees float supplied with the pedals.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, how did you resolve it?

It appears that the pedals are not fully compatible with official Shimano SPD-SL cleats.

I use the Garmin RS200 and I’ve never had this issue. However, I’ve also never thought about it while riding. I suppose I would have noticed it since I’ve ridden about 500 hours indoors over the past 6 months with the exact same pedal + cleat setup as you display here, but I’ll have to check when I get home to make absolutely sure…

1 Like

Sure you didn’t accidentally by the Look Keo version of the pedals instead of SPD-SL?

I’ve not noticed what you describe but my blue Shimano cleats do seem to have considerably more rotational float in the Rally pedal, although doesn’t bother me when riding.

Indeed my Rally pedals are definitely the SPD-SL version.

I don’t think an SPD-SL cleat would clip into a Keo style pedal, although I’ve not tested this.

I am experiencing the same issue you’d descrbed with aftermarket cleats. It is unpleasant. I bought Garmin cleats with the 4.5 degrees of float to see how that goes. Incidentally, I’ve put 5 years onto Vector 2 with look style cleats. Never a problem. I am also finding these RS pedals require significantly more effort to release at a lesser tenioner setting then my previous ones. A bit of getting used to required, I guess… Finally, no go for Keo cleats in SPD-SL. Keo is shorter. One can easily pull one’s foot out on a climb. Learned that the hard way.

I too, like the original poster purchased the RS200’s and tried to use them with my as Shimano yellow cleats, which were also new. I experienced the same vertical play issue and found that by using the included red Garmin cleats (not to be confused with Shimano red cleats which have no play), the issue went away.