Garmin Rally Power Meter Pedals: Look Road, Shimano Road & MTB

@GPLama did you ask for a refund? If so, I’d be very interested to hear how that went as I’m now at the point of asking for my money back.

They’re a media demo set. I expected them to send a return slip… given they haven’t, I was expecting a firmware update.

@GPLama that’s worrying to hear. It’s as though Garmin know there’s a problem but have either decided to ignore it or they don’t know how to fix it.

In the last communication I’ve had with Garmin (Fri 10th Sept) they asked me to perform the following steps:

1. Auto-Zero. -

make sure the pedals are connected in Garmin Connect Mobile App, go into settings > general > “auto-zero” - once you have done this allow the pedals to turn a few times and then allow them to go to sleep, make sure nothing is touching the pedals.

1. Torque test - see the below article. The steps are exactly the same but when you get to step 5 you will then use Garmin Connect again -

At the top of that same settings page you used in step 1, there’s a Calibration option so settings > general > “Calibration”

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=AVZeQisZvi3oBYZUUZdPV6

I followed the details for the torque test precisely as described in their documentation. I used a calibrated 15kg weight with a chain weighing 253g which according to Garmin’s documentation should produce the following torque reading:

Mass (kg) x gravity (9.81) x crank length (in meters) = expected torque (in Nm)
15.253 * 9.81 * 0.17 = 25.44 Nm

The actual torque readings were -0.81 and 0.97 for left and right pedals, respectively. Clearly, there’s something seriously wrong.

I’ve requested a refund and I’ll post the outcome on this thread.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what is a good source of a calibrated weight? That’s assuming I can elevate my bike to even do a test.

You can buy certified weights… for $$. Alternatively you can use any old weights and have them weighed with accurate scales somewhere. Or grab a set of digital hanging scales from a local outdoors/fishing shop that are accurate within a few grams at ~20kg and measure something heavy that’ll hang off the pedal. I’ve always used 20kg. 15kg might be enough.

Thanks! One more newb question. How exactly are you hanging it? I have some RallyXCs that I believe are accurate but am curious enough to test them. I have a couple of kettlebells around the house that are 16kg or 24 kg.

I use a Feedback Sports Sprint (front fork mounted stand) that’s solid enough to hold bike + 20kgs straight up and down. I’ve used a wheel-on trainer and boxes in the past. Linky to that here. Hot tip - Use Velcro around the brake lever/bar for the rear brake to lock the back wheel so you can get the crank at 90deg.

2 Likes

Garminsays 25 lbs minimum. Link to process below.

@iceaxe you’re talking about lbs, @GPLama is talking about kg.

@TimmyR I got a calibrated weight from https://www.scalesandbalances.co.uk/

1 Like

Because I keep comparing data, I thought I’d share the results after a factory spin down on my KICKR Core. Previously my KICKR Core was reporting higher power than my RallyXC 200s. Today I did a factory spin down and then rode a 1-hour workout (Goat Citadel). Below is a link to the DC Analyzer. What I now see seems completely reasonable and consistent. I used Zwift to record my KICKR Power via Ant+. TrainerRoad recorded data via BLE on my iPad (PowerMatch enabled), and my Edge1030 recorded data via Ant+. At this point I’m still happy with what I am seeing on my set. I’ll have some more comparisons against my Tacx Neo next month FWIW.

Goat Citadel KICKR Core vs RallyXC 200

3 Likes

Follow-up question. Is this a valid comparison? On anther Forum I am told that PowerMatch makes this an invalid comparison of data.

My thinking was that TR is reading the RallyXCs just like my Edge1030. Zwift is reading what my Kickr Core is producing. If it was a perfect world, all three would match perfectly. As it is not perfect, I assume that the Kickr Core and Rallys would have some inherent difference and thus it’d be evident by comparing my Zwift Power to my Edge1030 (or TrainerRoad). I assume someone much smarter than me here could shed some light on my thought process.

Perhaps @GPLama or @dcrainmaker can tell me if my method is valid. Thanks!

If I’m understanding what you did correctly, it’s:

A) Zwift/data paired to KICKR via ANT+
B) Edge 1030 Paired to Rally via ANT+
C) TR paired to Rally but actually PowerMatch via BLE

So, in my mind, I’d throw out the TR data, because I’m honestly not sure which source it writes to the file in that case (Trainer or Pedal). But that’s fine, assuming you just kept it KICKR-only for the Zwift data, then you’ve got a valid data comparison between the Rally and KICKR.

If so, your data looks pretty darn good. Roughly 1-2% difference, with Rally being higher than KICKR (which is as it should be). Larger difference at under 10-sec on the power curve for the TR source, but again, totally normal - especially with different recording protocols too.

1 Like

THANKS RAY! That’s exactly how my data is recording and exactly what I thought. My KICKR was reading much higher until I did a Factory Spindown and then recorded this workout.

I am involved in a discussion on the Garmin Forums where I was told (after I explained how I was recoding the data from the KICKR vs the Rallys) that it was completely invalid and there was no way to know what the Rallys were reporting because of PowerMatch. That didn’t make a ton of sense to me.

I really appreciate your quick response ad reaffirming what I thought was true.

Cheers,

Tim

1 Like

Yup. Exactly what I see except RallyXC as source in my case.

There’s a great sale if anyone’s interested at Trisports.com

1 Like

Came in my email today. Think you have to be a podium club member? I’ve only bought a handful of things there.

yup, I got the same discount from biketiresdirect.com for being a ‘Gold’ Member. I already have a set but a buddy of mine was happy to have me snag the deal for them. $899 is a damn good price on the XC200’s

2 Likes

I’m delighted to report that I have finally managed to obtain a refund. However, the entire experience was like pulling teeth and I can safely say that I will never purchase another product from Garmin. Definitely gets my vote for the worst customer experience I have ever had the misfortune to have been subjected.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, were you dealing with Garmin U.S.? I’ve had great support with them in the past with a Fenix5 issue.

Fortunately I seem to still have a working set of RallyXC 200s.

Sorry to hear you had such hard time.

Same here US customer service has been top notch with my problems. My pedals have been great too that sucks you had a bad experience.

1 Like