Garmin Fenix 6 virtual run not pairing

I just purchased a garmin fenix 6 and am using the virtual run feature to broadcast heart rate in Bluetooth to the trainer road app on my iPad. The TR app says it’s connected and shows a heart rate while doing a work out although the fenix 6 watch just displays ready to pair. As a result the fenix is sampling and transmitting a low heart rate to trainer road.
Oddly enough it pairs correctly when using Zwift on the same IPad. I installed Zwift just to troubleshoot this issue and it pairs fine and displays heart rate correctly.

Hey Ryan!

I’d recommend reaching out to our Support Team to troubleshoot this issue. You can just shoot us an email at support@trainerroad.com and we will get back to you as quickly as we can :+1:.

Hi there. I have the exact same problem, (surface pc instead of iPad). Works with zwift, not with trainerroad … Did support provide a fix ?

Thanks

I’d reach out to support@trainerroad.com as well. Each troubleshooting protocol can vary quite a bit, they’ll help you out!

In the end there were two ways to go:

1. The “Bike Indoor” feature broadcasts HR over BT without issue. That did not exist at the time but it solved my issue
  2. Before “Bike Indoor” was released I got it to work with “Virtual Run” once I uploaded a new release of firmware to my Fenix. The original release of Virtual Run didn’t work but later firmware fixed it.

So if your watch doesn’t have Bike Indoor or Virtual Run then you probably have an old fenix firmware version and need to update.
Also confirm that you are broacasting HR. Hold down the center left button on the watch (Menu) for 2 seconds. Scroll down to Settings. Continue to scroll to “Sensors and Accessories” and select that. Scroll down and select “Wrist Heart Rate” and scroll down and make sure “Broadcast During Activity” is set to ON.

1 Like

Sorry I was mistaken. I only ever got Bike Indoor to work properly. I never got Virtual Run to work.

And I realized that you said it’s working for Zwift so obviously the watch is broadcasting.