FTP progression

I’m curious what type of progression everyone has seen over time from their first ftp test. So I thought it would be cool if everyone posted their progression of their ftp over time, cycling experience before their first ftp test, training plan, volume, tss, etc.
8/8/20 was my first ever ride.
9/28/20 my first ramp test with trainerroad,ftp 190
9/28/20 start high volume sweet spot base (but I ended up reducing the time and bumping up the intensity so it was more like threshold intervals)
10/26/20 felt really good so I went hard on one of the 20min intervals and averaged 236 which would put my ftp at 224. So that’s up 34 watts in only 4 weeks.
I know I can’t expect gains like this every month, so I’m looking to see everyone’s progression over time.

1 Like

Have you seen this thread? https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/your-ftp-improvements/

2 Likes

Thanks, I haven’t seen this.

Not to rain on your parade here, but using that as your FTP is probably a bad idea. A proper 20 minute protocol leads with a 5-minute VO2max-type blowout effort. I’d recommend testing properly to ensure you’ve set an accurate FTP. There are a host of complications of training too high.

That said, those gains are nice! You should expect FTP to go up quickly as a new rider. Enjoy the journey!

2 Likes

I started cycling a little bit serious since February and this are my results (34 years, 183cm):
2/26/2021 FTP 249, 80Kg
6/6/2021 FTP 310, 78Kg
8/9/2021 FTP 337, 77Kg
I just started this week my first building plan on trainerroad, excited to see if I can still keep crashing my previous FTP results, I just feel sorry I didn’t discovered this passion before :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great achievements, just bear in mind that no one achieve endlessly higher numbers. You got a level that most of the regular folks like me can only dream about it (family, work, etc).
There are many ways to be a high performer and ftp number is just a small part of the different performance slices.

With that said, don’t get disappointed or discouraged when you stagnate, in the end you’re human right.