FTP loss in the off-season: My experience

Hey folks. I just finished my first FTP test of base and noticed a 30 watt decline. That got me wondering what kind of decline is common. This is my first off-season since I started structured training.

I fell from 328 to 298 watts based on the ramp test. I had my last race half way through October. I took the rest of the month off the bike and immediately started a weight routine. By mid November, I started doing my regular group rides (~6 hours per week mostly below VT1 with a couple of 1-2 minute sprints for road signs). Through December, I maintained 3 days in the weight room per week and my group rides. During my group rides, people accused me off maintaining my summer fitness because I seemed to be maintaining form.

In the gym, I managed to bring my squat from 115 to 215lbs for 5 reps. My deadlift is up to 245lbs for 5 reps. Not gonna be competing in power lifting events, but it was good progress.

Now, I just completed my first FTP test of the season on Monday and saw a bigger drop than expected. I was hoping and expecting that my test would show very little drop given that I’d gained a bit of weight for the weight room and that I was still maintain volume on the bike.

For what it is worth, I maintained High Volume training last year with traditional base, general build, and sustained effort specialty, so 6 hours is about half of the volume of a normal training week.

4 Likes

I think a 10% drop is totally normal over the course of the off-season you’ve described - you should gain back to your similar point quick enough

3 Likes

I took off 1 month and lost 15%…mostly due to zero riding but also having zero aerobic base.

Took about 4 months to get back to pre-break FTP…mostly due to doing LVBase.

I just took a look at your profile. This time last year you were at 285. 298 seems like progress to me.

4 Likes

i had 2 months completely off and went from 284 to 241.

It’s interesting, my numbers dropped almost exactly that much from 328 to 297, and a little bit further during the strength training plan I followed. Started TrainerRoad base yesterday to get back at it, and lose the lbs gained during the last 10 weeks in the gym :confounded:

Wondering if you took the Ramp Test. If so my guess is that you lost your “top end” only. You said that the other riders in your group rides were saying you were still riding strong. It will be interesting to hear how the Sweet Spot workouts feel at your new FTP and if you think you have to adjust it up to get a good workout in.

I went from 288 to 245, about a 15% loss. I also had the interesting experience of burning out, and I’m really looking forward to building back to a more sustainable long term level this coming season.

1 Like

Sounds like my losses were common. Thanks to all who chimed in.

@Socia_Distortion, yeah definitely. I’ll report back in 4 weeks when I test again.

1 Like

I did similar, first time I felt burnt out mid-summer and had 0 desire to race Aug/Sept. I stayed on the bike doing ez mtb rides but wasn’t following structured training at all.
I bailed out on my FTP test late fall, but it was probably also around 245, down from 275/280. Just finished SSB1 and re-tested at 272, very happy to be mostly back after a block of base. Just need to not set ourselves up for burnout this season lol.

1 Like

Glad to see this thread. My ramp test today made me sad. 268 from 283 during the season.

10% is perfectly normal. Anything more, and you’re just letting yourself fall into a hole that will take a lot of work and time to dig out of.

The trick is holding onto as much fitness as you can with the smallest psychological effort/cost

1 Like

Hi fellows cyclist! I am going on holiday for 10 days after a really pushy first 8 months this year (this is my first experience on the bike, before I was a runner). Thanks to the free time my job gives me I set down really high number: over 16’000km and went from 210/220 to 265 FTP.

I feel this 10 days off will benefit.
First question: would you go completely off? I could rent a mtb and cycle randomly before breakfast everyday as it will be a relaxing trip, so no hikin long walks g ecc ecc
Second one: would you start with the same ftp after coming back or scale it down a bit when coming back?

Thanks a lot for reading and replying!

Davide

Totally normal and in line with what I lose over the course of a month or six weeks. If you care, my numbers are below. But I think you have nothing to worry about.

I think last season I went from 323 W to 295 W. I gained most of it back (ramp test says 321 W, but let’s call it even) after 6–8 weeks of sweet spot base. I’m now at 335 W and I think I’ll gain a few W at my next ramp test.

1 Like

One of the downsides of the ramp test is that it really only measures your high-end fitness.
I would bet that most people who have a huge gain or loss over a short period of time would actually have a much smaller change in fitness if they had done 20-minute tests instead.

First question - I probably would but only because it would be a fun way to get around, I would not eb looking for any real training benefit.

Second question - 10 days isn’t all that long, especially if you do some random/unfocussed easy riding you’ll probably come back with a lot of freshness and actually be feeling pretty good! You can either take a new test, or do a couple of easier workouts to get a feel for whether the current FTP is about right or not (I actually wouldn’t be that surprised if after 10 days off/easy following a hard block that my FTP might test slightly higher - depending what else was happening on the holiday and obviously what training you’d done in the run up to the holiday. If I had done a few weeks really hard and then taken what’s effectively a long rest week, I certainly wouldn’t be expecting a decline).

yes, the goal of an off season is to reset physically and mentally so try to make it as relaxing as possible. you want to get to the point where you feel completely energised again. you’ve probably forgotten how this feels!

I would take the first month back riding zone 1/2 anyway, so FTP value isn’t that important. But in general, yes it will drop (maybe 10% or so). Re-test after a few weeks of consistent low intensity training, each week gradually increasing volume. Remember to ease back into it nice and easy.

Enjoy your holiday and get your feet up!!