FTP Improvement, Sleep Deep Dive, Training Outside & More – Ask a Cycling Coach 207

Seconding Sleep Cycle. Any of the phone apps out there that also record noises during the night can give you an idea of what’s waking you up. I first started thinking about sleep apnea when I would listen to my Sleep Cycle audio files and hear snoring, and even many of my apnea events. They can also clue you in as to if there’s some ambient noise disturbance throughout the night that you’re not aware of, but that might be waking you.

I didn’t particularly care for the alarm feature as it would often wake me early, and I wanted to just lay there, but it worked.

1 Like

Kolya, I live in Australia in an un-airconditioned apartment with terrible insulation. Temperatures in my apartment at night time can easily be above 28C. The trick for me is achieving that reduction in core temperature through other means. A cold towel and a steady, directional fan will get you 90% of the way there. Once asleep, I’m sure the quality isn’t quite as good but you can do little things to help.

3 Likes

@Nate_Pearson - I have the same relaxation issue where my mouth opens and air goes out, waking me. I haven’t tried tape yet, but have an elastic strap that works… I just didn’t like it. I’ve settled on essentially holding a pillow with the end propped under my jaw when I lay on my side. When I relax, it keeps my jaw closed enough. Seems to work pretty well for me. Just a suggestion if you (or your wife) doesn’t like the tape. I think my wife would light my CPAP on fire if she had her way.

I’ve tried straps, even with my jaw completely shut the air still comes out :frowning:.

1 Like

I have difficulty sleeping after high intensity. I’ve found it’s about switching from the sympathetic nervous system (a lion is chasing me) to the parasympathetic nervous system (safe to relax).
This is important to do over a season as well. I have some big endurance A races in August and since April I’ve had TT and xc/enduro each week. I had difficulty coping with the intensity last year. This year, every chance I get I’m going easy. (80/20 as much as possible). I’m admiring the country side, telling my mind and body that the lion is a kitten. I’m much more able to go hard when I get to an event and I’m in a better frame of mind.
Oh and I sleep better even after high intensity.

1 Like

Stay at home Dad with twin girls, my sleep is maybe 7hrs, broken every night. Before A races I sleep in the spare room or try and take 30min power naps to fully rest up.

Time management - Im not overly great with, It took me six months of questioning why my girls wouldn’t let me train, finally I understood it isn’t important to them. At 3yrs I can now keep them occupied for 45mins to 60mins, some days they hold my bidon for me and yell go go go Daddy.

5 Likes

Liked the podcast a lot. Thank you, guys.
One little thing made me puzzled: it looks like @chad was wearing a t-short with an outdated Aeroflot Russian Airlines Logo - the one from Soviet times? :wink:

I couldn’t read the text below the logo - did anyone managed to? ))

1 Like

I also wondered this - @Nate_Pearson / @chad any insight?

Follow-up question. I have the rest of this week (Tue-Fri) free, and was thinking of doing something similar outdoor / indoor, depending on weather. However, I have a race (80km rolling road race, 2hrs+) coming up on Sunday. Would doing a 3 or 4 day high volume low intensity “base camp” like Jonathan’s have an adverse effect on that race? Do I need to factor in recovery time from the volume of training?

That’s funny. I wondered where that logo came from. It was a Black Diamond t-shirt. They make ski/climbing gear (if you don’t already know that), but I have no idea their significance to a Russian airline or vice versa.

1 Like

I did my best to stay at the 60-70% we discussed.

If the volume camp introduces a higher amount of training stress than you normally experience, yes, it will likely leave you fatigued for the race. If your race on Sunday is an A or B priority race, I wouldn’t do the volume camp.

2 Likes

I get up 4:45ish to exercise/train. If you got up 4:30 you would get an hour ride in and only lose 15 min from your getting ready for work time.

Look into making bfast ahead and taking it w you. I do muesli and breakfast burritos. When I was teaching I made a week’s worth of muesli at a time. 5 pickle jars.

We put our kiddo to bed by 8. We are both asleep by 8:30. Sometimes life shoves both back but not much during school.

I average 7:45 a night. Not enough but it is consistent.

2 Likes

I agree. No way anyone needs 45 mins to get ready for work. I shower night before, overnight oats made night before and in fridge. Either eat quickly at home or take to work and eat at my desk with a coffee on arrival.

Therefore morning is get up and get dressed and out the door. 10-15 min max!

6:00-8:00- family time
8:30- start riding

Hi, this is me. Actually, I’m usually leaving my second kid’s room by 8:30 on the nose and it’s more like 8:45 until I truly get a pedal turning over. Rough, but I’m used to it.

This episode’s deep dive on sleep has been really enlightening into all the ways I’m doing things wrong.

I would love to change my schedule up, but it’s going to take some serious changes. I can not stomach the idea of early morning workouts on my current schedule. Step 1 might be just trying to get to bed between 9-10., a feat in and of itself…

Having just gone through this shift from PM to early AM workouts with the pending arrival of child #2, it’s not easy to convince yourself that you can do that day after day. It took me years to become a full morning workout convert, and I’m generally a pretty good morning person.

That said, once I got into the habit of morning workouts, yeah… there’s no going back now. I like it way better.

2 Likes

Fortunate timing on my end! I have just bought new HED 6+ wheels (25mm wide) to replace the stock 19mm wheels. I posted a picture on the Users’ Bike thread. I re-used my fairly new 25mm Continental 5000 tires, but may look at switching to 28mm when I upgrade to the tubeless tire of the same tire. We’ll give these a go, before looking to upgrade the bars. Less money on parts means more money towards new bikes!

I’m going to give this a go. I usually do make breakfast burritos or some sort of banana bread to take on the way to work. Now that school is out bed times are even later, so the morning option looks to be the best to get rides in.

@Nate_Pearson I jumped on the early access and love the outside workout option and have been using it a lot with it finally getting warm in Canada. I use the Pioneer head unit to leverage their advance metrics so won’t use the push to Garmin. You mentioned that you don’t want to develop an Android app for the outside workout option. Does that mean I won’t have the option to see the outside option in the app at any point in the future and I will have to access the equivalent outside workouts off of the web calendar? The app would be much more convenient to see the details of the outside workout.

Thanks,
Chris

Got to have my morning shower… even though I’m showered from previous evenings workout…
No amount of deodorant is going to make me skip that!

2 Likes

Re: how to be a better descender. I’m not sure how you’d get this information to the rider who posed the question, but people living in Central Florida go to Clermont/Ferndale to train for 6 Gap. Sugarloaf Mountain is one of the highest points in the state and the surrounding area is quite hilly – perfect for long training rides and descending practice. Phil Gaimon posted a video about Sugarloaf on December 27, 2018. It’s worth a watch. The rider can find plenty of area routes on Strava.

I love seeing everybodies “Pro Tips” on how to manage time.

As for me and a triathlete, I treat all my pre and post ride routines like a transition. I try to fill my bottles as fast as possible, setup my fans/computer as fast a possible, make my recovery shake as fast as possible, shower as fast as possible, etc. I think it reinforces the concept of moving quickly before and after a bike, trains my ability to think during a transition, and it reduces much of that overhead training time. (I actually time my showers to see how fast I can get clean and the wife is a bloodhound…she’ll let me know. I consider 2min to be a good time for me.)

Also, another thing I do is after a run, I’ll make sure to invite the wife for a cooldown walk. This combines my recovery time and family time into one so that helps quite a bit as well. Same with if we watch a TV show together. She might be on the couch but I’ll be foam rolling on the ground. IMO family time and recovery time pair very well with each other.

2 Likes