What Sleep Are You Getting?😴

Curious how much sleep others are getting and finding they get on best with?

I find I am getting about 7 hours now I have started early morning training and feel I am sufficiently rested when the alarm goes off, although I could quite easily fall asleep at night an hour or two earlier if it wasn’t for family commitments etc.

1 Like

Since I started wearing a Fitbit Ionic and tracking sleep my weekly averages are between 7 and 7:30/night up from about 6/night*. If you are interested in trying to get more sleep try tracking it. For me I think the simple act of tracking/logging makes me want to get more. But I have no idea just guessing.

*I fly a red eye each week so even though I can get the average up with naps the quality of sleep is pretty bad up to 2 days down line.

1 Like

Since I started tracking sleep a few months ago Garmin Connect says I sleep more than 93% of others in my age range at about 9 hours. I am a pro at sleeping

16 Likes

7 tops, but whenever I wear a sleep tracker, I usually get 4+ hours of deep sleep. My wife only gets 2-3 hours of deep sleep a night when she’s in bed for 8-9 hours.

1 Like

Sleep… what’s that? Have a 5-1/2 month old in the house who likes to think night time equals party time

15 Likes

Depends what time I need to be at work for as i work shifts.

I vary between 7 hours and 8.

the more I train and ride, the more sleep I give myself. Right now I’ve started a high volume plan and am usually falling asleep by 9:30 and waking up at 6am.

3 Likes

Not enough is the glib answer ! I probably get between 6 and 7 hours per night but I would be interested in knowing the quality of the sleep I am getting too.

Sleep has been a long term issue for me. Life in the military convinces you going hard on very little rest is the new normal, but as I’m older now, I struggle hard when my sleep drops off. About this time last year I was getting 4 to 4 1/2 hours a night, and I was obviously chronically exhausted. It was very much the norm for me to come home and pass out on the couch for two hours after work. We have four kids, all of who, are teenagers now, so the stress doesn’t come from them crying all night, it comes from needing to stay up til their 11pm curfews and such.

After some very valuable sleep studies and some determination on my and my wife’s part, were both getting 6 1/2 to 7 now. Like a lot of folks, we bought sleep trackers and we were both surprised to see how little good sleep we were getting. It’s been a concerted effort, and I could definitely stand to get a bit more, I’d like to see 8 as my average, but I’m pretty happy with the improvements.

We use the Apple Watch and an app called pillow right now, though we’re making the jump to the Nokia/Whithings infrastructure shortly. Like so many things, we find we use them most when they require the least effort to use, right? On occasion we forget to turn on the tracker, or set our watch etc, which affects your overall average, skewing it down or up. The pads that go under the mattress just track and upload in the am when you get up.

3 Likes

I get 7.5-8 hours most nights. Usually I sleep best after easier training days, whereas after high volume days my sleep is more restless.

As others have mentioned tracking your sleep with an activity tracker of some sort makes a big difference

2 Likes

8 hours.

I usually find 9:30-10PM is my golden window (circadian rhythm ahoy!). Up at 6AM and full of beans.

Few grams of Taurine before bed too and most nights I don’t even move, mouth ajar, drool etc the lot :laughing:

I have a weekday lodger so often put earplugs in too which I always find helps guarantee some solid sleep.

I do think properly winding down before getting in to bed helps hugely too. For me this involves low lighting, TV/Computer/screens off a good 20-30 minutes before, quick stretch while brushing my teeth and then a brief browse of the 'gram in the dark (screen brightness down of course) while sat on the throne :poop::see_no_evil: Bish bash bos…Zzzz

2 Likes

7 hours
I typically get less sleep when I have to work nights. Some isolated nights without sleep are easy to get over, but when they build things go wrong. The less sleep I get cumulatively in a week the worse my power output on the bike.

I tend to get about 6-7. If I set my alarm, for a trainer session or ride the next morning, I usually feel comfortable giving myself about 7 hours…say, 10pm to 5am. With time to fall asleep and kids waking me up, it’s probably more like 6. I had a training ride (150km/2000m elevation) planned for a Saturday recently and only managed (for no reason other than restlessness and frustration at not being able to fall asleep) to get about 3 hours. By the end of the ride, I felt the fatigue mentally more than physically - shifting was off, attitude was less positive…just felt cloudy. The rest of that day was like the walking dead.

7 since I had a kid. No sleep ins. Haha.:unamused:

I get 6.5-7.5 a night if all goes well. 7 hours gets me where I need to be. I can’t do much caffeine, if any, or else I’ll be wired all night. I struggle with waking up too early, I can always fall asleep no problem though. Earplugs are mandatory. I’m 46 and sleep is a big factor in my training and I track it with Samsung health app.

6-7 hours on a good night. I sleep pretty poorly due to numerous factors and will quite often see more like 4-5 hours of quality sleep. Makes recovering properly pretty tough! :laughing:

1 Like

6-7 hours average is closer to 7.

I use Sleep Cycle to monitor my sleep. It’s a App and the version I use is free. You can pay for far more in-depth information but the free version gives me what I need.

Seems like I get around 7-7 1/2 hours sleep. On average I get somewhere between 4-4 1/2 half hours of deep sleep. The App tells me that my sleep quality is consistently around the 83% mark.

I don’t struggle to get up and I certainly have no issues when my head hits the pillow.

With a 3 year old and an almost 1 year old … not ever enough!

Not enough! I have to be at work at 5am so this is my typical night. As I have aged I have more trouble sleeping…I try and get a 45 minute nap after work before I train.