Feature Request: Extra tone alert/Custom tone count down period

I’ve thought this many times whilst working out and it would be good (for me!) to have the option to have a quick 1 second tone/alert some 10-15 seconds before an Interval increase is coming up.

Let me try and explain my issue.

Whilst doing workouts I do like to ensure I’m at a good cadence before a certain interval increase comes up. The count down tones I find are too late. For example I have a 140% FTP interval coming up and am exhausted from previous intervals so I’m not always concentrating at 100%! Some 10 seconds before this interval I would like to ensure I start to get my cadence set, ramp it up, so to ensure a smooth transition with ERG mode.

Currently if I’m not concentrating, the tones start counting down and I find it too late to increase cadence without effecting the settling down of the system. Because I find the trainer is starting to set resistance and I’m altering cadence thus changing power, the whole thing makes the whole settling down in to the correct power/cadence longer. I find if I slowly ramp up my cadence starting from around 10 seconds away before the interval hits everything works really well.

Sometime I wouldn’t want this for certain workouts, but sometimes I would love the ability for it to be there. (keyboard shortcut to turn it on/off too?) That’s why I’m requesting this is considered and you could possibly provide this.

I guess another option would be to increase the count down tone period, make that user adjustable from the current default to 10+ seconds ?

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for the request @FatherDamo2!

I’ll pass your suggestion onto the team for consideration :+1:.

I am back on the trainer with it being a bit cooler and darker in the mornings. I am ending specialty phase so I have mostly VO2 and anaerobic workouts (rolling road race).
I am finding I wish I had more than the 3 seconds of notification chimes before the interval changes so I can prepare my cadence for the big jump in power difference (and mentally a bit). I am thinking a 10 second “clapping” sound like a boxing round at the 10 seconds left would be nice. Or even a different sound notification at 5 seconds.
I just find if I am day dreaming only having 3 seconds to prepare and ramp up my cadence is not as much as I would like.
I know some intervals have short rest periods, so maybe a 5 seconds chime here.

3 Likes

What about the visual graph and the interval countdown timer, is that not enough, lol. How annoying/useful would a 10 second notification be when doing workouts like 15/15s? I get it though, I’ve been caught off guard before during long recovery valleys in workouts.

3 Likes

It was would be nice if there were multiple at each end of interval and it was configurable, like MI-CX I’ve been caught out on long valies, so the 10 second one would be nice, but my mind makes me think the 3 seconds to end one, is the end chime, and I totally switch off when I hear it, don’t think it makes much difference, but annoys me every time that I didn’t make it to the end of the interval (usually happens when I am struggling)

Has my vote, I requested something similar many moons back… passed on for consideration and I guess ended up in the bin!

1 Like

It’s funny how we all deal with this differently. I turn off all the sound. I don’t want to hear the 1 minute chimes or the 3 second chimes. Just loud music in my ears.

3 Likes

10 more seconds of hurt versus 3 seconds more of hurt; the latter is slightly more appealing to me :open_mouth:

1 Like

You can look at 3 seconds being more like a race attack good training for race day