Favero Assioma Users

Looking to get a pair of Assiomas, and coming from Time pedals, I borrowed a set of Look Keo Classics to see if I wouldn’t mind the Look/Favero cleat system. While I liked the range of float, I found it too slippery for my liking.
Do the Assiomas have the same free slippery float, or does it have more drag?

Coming from Speedplays, I find the float very draggy. The contact area is pretty small - that metal plate on the pedal is it. I just went and cleaned that and sprayed some silicone to see if it will help.

I just came over from Looks and find the float a little more slippery. I’m using my same Look red cleats. Haven’t tried the Assioma cleats.

I love the power meter but the Assioma pedal is not an exact copy of a Look. A little bit of a step backwards, at least in my configuration. In terms of the cleat/pedal interface, I loved my Looks but I only like my Assiomas :wink:

In terms of the cleat/pedal interface, I loved my Speedplays but I tolerate my Assiomas :smile:

3 Likes

Anyone cover up their cranks (plastic bag and tight rubber band) or completely take off the pedals when cleaning the bike?

Or am I just being paranoid? I know they’re water proof etc and I’ve ridden them in the rain numerous times, but for some reason when cleaning bike and using a high pressure cleaner I prefer to take them off or at least cover them up

I never wash the bike with a high pressure cleaner to start with - I’m more paranoid about blowing the grease out of the bearings than about the pedals. Damp cloth.

4 Likes

I keep the pressure very low though… and always spray from front or back instead of the sides.

And also finish of with a blower to get rid of excess water.

To follow up on this, this is a good reason to use the app to calibrate the pedals at least on occasion, and definitely if you are having issues. The app logs data from the pedal and transmits that to Favero, which will allow them to see information about your pedals, and make it easier for them to support you.

Pulled the trigger and got the Garmin 830 - finally. Made my ly life so much easier.

I just hope that now that I got the 830, Garmin is not releasing the 830 PLUS model any time soon. I know it might sound selfish, but I have to protect my investments :wink:

I would not be putting the high pressure sprayer on the pedals you will be replacing the bearings soon the bearings only have a shield and no seal. on my previous pedals had to change the bearings because of this so I just fitted 2rsr bearings instead of 2zr which i have removed.

1 Like

The manual says to make sure have 2mm space between the shoes the the pod, Mine only has somewhere between 1.5-2mm space. Will this be a problem or will i have to buy some shim to make more space?

That’ll be fine. Just make sure there’s no rub occurring on the pod from out of the saddle/sprints/etc. (will depend on the shoes you’re using too I guess).

1 Like

Anyone know if any pro teams are using these?
I have two pair of them and and they’re :ok_hand:

Hello everyone,

I have a pair of Assioma pedals for over 2 years now and have been pleased with them. I did have to get new bodies as the bearings disintegrated and embedded themselves into the plastic.

The pedals have been paired to Wahoo Bolt v1 and have been fine. I replaced the Bolt v1 with the v2 because it’s shiny and has colours. :slight_smile: However, on a ride if I have stopped for over the 5 minute shut off and start off again I have no power reading. I carried on with the ride but noticed the left pedal lights are completely off, but the right pedal lights are fine. The only way to get the pedals to wake up is to connect them to the usb charger. Now, it doesn’t happen every time and I thought it was related to BLE connecting instead of ANT+, but I made sure the Bolt is connecting via ANT+. I seem to have fewer dropouts when the Wahoo companion app is not opened as it connects to the pedal via BLE.

Favero has analysed the pedal data and concluded the left pedal’s battery is faulty causing random shutdown, but my experience is that it only started with a change of head unit. By the way, the cost of replacement is over 200 Euro.

Does anyone else have similar problems? Any help is much appreciated.

@alvaroe16 I know no one replied to you here, but I was having the exact same question - Have you tried this? How are you getting on?

1 Like

After doing a lot of research… I found no mention of anybody complaining about any failure on the pedal or power meter. In fact, somebody made a good case about the fact that the “loading” on the pedal is pretty small compared to the weight/power we push through the pedal - it is a different direction but relatively small. Most of us don’t push our pedals exactly straight down but put significant power, even the off-axis component of the force to push the pedal during a normal pedalstroke is likely higher than the force of it hanging on the bracket. This is why pedals use ball bearings and not roller bearings, it can take loads on all directions of the pedal spindle.

While on the hanger…most of the weight and reaction force goes through the wheels anyhow.

All this to say… I have been hanging my bike on and off from these for about 8 months now with no issues.

1 Like

Interesting to see that happened. Does the issue correct itself if you go back to the v1 bolt??
I’ve had my DUO’s for a couple years and just recently my right battery/round thingy started to spin on the spindle. Favero offered a replacement but it was more than I was looking to spend. I figured I’d use it as a “left-side only” meter now. I am not sure what caused this fault but it does not calibrate and I cannot tighten it up.

Note - The relatively new auto-zero feature will never take place when there’s load placed on the pedal, so always be sure to zero before a ride once it’s off the hook. (*If you’re really picky about accurate data).

1 Like

interestingly my right side pedal batt is worthless now. lasts bout 10hrs. out of warranty. favero offered a lower priced replacements but I too wasn’t thrilled to spend that much

I’ve been happy with mine, but battery degradation is my main concern. I really wish that items with built-in batteries would have an option to not fully charge them, as this helps preserve battery longevity in Lion batteries. In general, you want to store them not full and not empty, and more manufacturers should make this easy, as most of the time I don’t need a 100% full charge of my bike computer, power meter pedals, smart watch, smart phone, laptop, etc… (some laptops do have this feature)
For the pedals, I try to only fully charge them before long rides so they don’t get stored fully charged.

1 Like