Favero Assioma Problem

Hi there… Using Favero Assioma since 2018 and very satisfied… Back in 2019 i had few times problem having discharge of the pedals few times, and opened ticket with Favero so they send me new spindles at the end of 2019… So far so good… Beeing satisfied with them i purchased another Favero Assioma DUO pair (and new pedal bodies, bearings…) to dont switch between bikes, putting new pair on bikes i ride most, and old pair on bike i ride less… So this way on old pair (replacement spindles i got), i have just about 5000 km since they send them to me… And no problems until few days ago…

I put them on the trainer to compare wattage to Smart Trainer i have (and then to compare again with new pair), and after few rides (and 5% difference), all of the sudden the wattage was exactly same between Faveros and Smart Trainer… After some investigation realized that Left Pedal (Master one), is switching off after few minutes, and head unit just switched to Smart Trainer as Power Source so i got comparation from same power source and that why there was no difference this time…

To turn Left Pedal ON i have to connect to charger shortly and then is working… First time i thought that maybe pedal got discharged, so i put them on charger for like 12 hours, checked on the app and was totaly charged now… Just in case i also done firmware reset… Tried to ride again, now this time Left Pedal switched off in 2 minutes on trainer… Turned on (I Have to connect to charger to turn it on, otherwise is completely dead), ride them again then switched off after 8 minutes… When it’s on i can calibrate, no errors …

I dissasmble the pedal, put some new grease, and also checked if their is some damage, look everything normal… But as soon i tried riding, again Left Pedal just turned off it self in few minutes :frowning:

Anyone else having similar experience? Is it my Left Sensor Dead?

p.s I just made a test ride outside using normal shoes, ride was 7 km, about 20min… And did not turned off and everthing seem to be regular and fine… Tommorow probably will have proper ride using cycling shoes, but now im even more confused…

p.p.s. BTW, when noticed that turnning off on the trainer i switched ant+ stick i used for Zwift/Rouvy, then disconnect it totaly, then turned off MacMini, then turn off the fan… Just to be sure that maybe some of this dont make some problems to the pedal interfering frequencies or something… But it was still the same… Then i even tried on Garmin Edge 530 instead of InDoor mode to try with regular Road Mode, but again turned off very very soon…

1 Like

Are you sure the Assioma are turning off, and that the problem is not with the head unit switching to the trainer for some reason? You could “forget” the trainer as a power source on the head unit and try a ride. Alternatively, if you’re connecting the pedals to the head unit via Ant+ you could connect another app from your phone (Favero, Wahoo, etc) to record the pedals to see if they are actually turning off.

It’s strange that is turning Off just Left Pedal… Right one is still working correctly (blinking)… When Left One turned off with this glitch, not possible to turn it on anymore (is completely dead) with normal pedaling… If i want to turn it on have to do it with Power Charger (it’s enought just to connect few seconds)… I guess simillar as when pedal is in Travel Mode…

I test Head Unit but with just disable ing the Trainer and other sensors, and use only Pedals… Again the same…

When i test ride it outside few hours ago (regular shoes not cycling shoes), i also used same Head Unit… And in that short ride there was no problems… But proper test i guess tommorow 80 km regular cycling shoes… But this is very strange behaviour… Never happend from the day i use them…

I’m curious what the L/R balance is being recorded?

I remember that there was some kind of drifting problem with some users, so yesterday i was also checking l/r balance on that short test ride and was normal…

But today hope will test it properly and will post my findings…

While i moved my outdoor riding tommorow, i put another pair of Favero’s to InDoor trainer and in same conditions as problematic pair…

No problems at all after 1 hour of riding… Also when i compare the power vs DiretoX, problematic pair (while it was working), had average 5.5% difference for 1 hour, while pair i tested today is closer to DiretoX 3.65% difference on 1 hour riding…

Hope tommorow i’ll find time for a test outdoor so wiill have better idea is it time for new sensor spindle or not…

I just get back from OutDoor ride and definetely Left Sensor is Dead…

After just 5 minutes Left Sensor Went Dead mode (and i lost power and cadence during the ride)…

So how is policy regarding warranty?

This pair i got as a replacement from Favero for original Pair i Bought January 2018…

With the original pair purchased in Januar 2018, i had issue with battery discharging without any logic, this happened few times, so they send me new sensors in 2019 November… So this is the sensors i have problem now…

Should i consider that warranty is gone and just order new spindle (if it’s connected 2 years warranty for original pair), or since i got replacament sensors warranty is extended for another 2 years (if the warranty reset from a moment of getting replacament sensors and if that the case im covered few more days)…

Thanks…

The two years is from the purchase of the first set unfortunately - not the replacement. I was in a similar position.

They will most likely offer you a replacement spindle at a reduced cost though.

@kevistraining Thanks a lot…May i PM u if u dont mind regarding ur experience?

Thanks in Advance.

Yeah sure but my problem was not the same as yours - mine was regarding power accuracy drift.

I’ve found Favero helpful whenever I’ve contacted them - but I don’t think you will be able to claim warranty on pedals bought in 2018, even if they are more recent warranty replacements - worth a try though.

so it appears that I am having the same issue here. this morning I hop on the trainer and after two or three minutes, the left pedal is dead. I am now not getting any info to the trainerroad app. hook up the charger and the pedal wakes up. after a couple more minutes it goes dead again. plenty of charge in them and I did a firmware update to no avail. opened a ticket with favero, waiting to hear back. nothing about the recall on these pedals. bought late 2018.

Hi there… Since that time i wrote, i got the same issue on another pair i had and still under warranty… Favero replace with new pair (exceptional support)

And guess what? After a while i got similar issue on new pair as well (just after month or two)… And happened really rare few more times (last time last week).

I realized that maybe problem is in position of shoes on pedal (not touching the pods, just some weird angle of pedaling sometimes)

At first case i have some wedges under shoes, in second case i was experimenting with different cleat position then normal…

But maybe this was just coincidence and maybe they have some bug or flaw… Im wondering to test try with other shoes/cleats combo, or maybe change a little bit position, or maybe put brand new cleats if old are worn out… And please post what u get as result

So I’ve been dealing with Favero support for the past week or so, they have been wonderful. I followed there directions for troubleshooting this problem, which included visual inspection, checking pins on the charger and then charging pedals for 20 hours using a different charger.

The results where that the pedals worked after the charge for a 20 minute warmup, followed by a 90 minute workout. After a day off, on the next workout, the left pedal disconnected after two and a half minutes. I connected to the app to verify the battery was still fully charged.

The conclusion from Favero was that the “battery was no longer working correctly”. Since at five years on, these are way out of warranty, they offered a new spindle at a discount, ~200 euro instead of the 300.

1 Like