Favero Assioma bearing replacements

I did the MTB hack and just used the three sealed bearings that came with my Xpeedo pedals (plus, they were wedged into the pedal pretty darn tightly). After 13,000 miles of outdoor usage over the past two years, both sets of inner bearings on the right pedal have completely disintegrated. Unfortunately, I was only able to remove the outer ring of one of the bearings from within the pedal body and the other is 100% not coming out.

Since I didn’t want to pay $50 for a full repair kit to just replace a single bearing, I went the cheap route and ordered a dozen bearings (10x15x4mm) for $10 from the Amazon mothership. Was easy to slip a single bearing into the pedal body and reassemble everything. Since I can’t replace both bearings in the pedal, this seems like the right economic choice (vs. a new pedal).

Only a few hours of usage so far, but no issues so far. I don’t expect the single “cheap” bearing to last as long as the last pair, but I’ll try to report back when it does fail. Maybe by then I’ll be clever enough to remove the stuck second outer ring too.

1 Like

How did you remove the outer ring of the first bearing ?

I have the same issue on my right pedal Xpedo CXR x Assioma spindle, inner bearings were destroyed and pedal body was “loose” on the axle. Pedals were used during 16 000 km, sometimes under the rain.

I could remove the inner part of the bearing from the spindle, but outer parts of the two bearings are stuck inside the pedal body (see pic) and I could not remove them with a screwdriver. There is no shoulder on the other side that could be used to expel these bearings.

Is there any way to remove them from the pedal body ?

I bought another set of Xpedo CXR pedals, but I would like to save this pedal body and put back new bearings.

Over the course of a few hours, I sprayed a crap ton of WD-40 in there and just pushed / pried a bunch with a screwdriver while holding the pedal with a strong wrench. Probably would be better served putting the pedal in a vise and using some type of reverse nail puller to grab the outer rings, but that imaginary tool isn’t in my toolbox.

1 Like

thanks, I will try WD-40 !

Your imaginary tool is a collet-type bearing puller. Put the collet in, expand so it catches on the ball race, pull it out with a u-shaped threaded thing, or hold the pedal in a vice and use a slide hammer. Something like this

only I don’t know if that has a working size

2 Likes

Just an update, the bearings I got were fine. Installed them in like ten minutes and my ride today went smoothly. I just reused the oil retainer and end caps from before. Pretty happy for about half the price of the current bearing replacement kit. I think I got the powermeter city kit last time and this has worked just fine so far with reasonable power readings and smoothness.

1 Like

I ended up having to follow the full replacement route when the bearing replacement route proved temporary…

Bearings went on right side pedal at 10,000 miles, bearings went on left side pedal at 11,000 miles. Since I could only replace one of the two inner bearings, the replacement bearings only lasted around 1,000 miles.

The power meter spindle, though marked up and scored a bit, slipped into the new XCR pedal bodies without issue. This time I bought some grease and overpacked it. Will try to remember to repack the grease every few thousand miles. The oil retaining ring from the original Assioma pedal is pretty dinged up, but also transferred to the new pedals successfully.

Thanks for this info. You just saved me about £16.

Favero ships ridiculously fast from Italy.