Ezekiel bread, what am I doing wrong?

I need Ezekiel -1 :smile:

9 Likes

Ezekiel bread has very little salt, and this is why it tastes bland. There is also a ā€˜low sodiumā€™ version that actually has no salt at all! Salted butter definitely improves things, but I wish it was made with enough salt to begin with.

I also dont like the ezekial bread but found that the same company made sprouted grain english muffins which were pretty good. Now I eat theme every morning for breakfast toasted with peanut butter and strawberries, and some days honey. Just keep experimenting.
Tim

I just put some peanut butter and honey on my ezekiel bread, and I also cut off the crust lol

Although skeptical, I tried some Ezekiel bread. Tastes great to me. I really like it but YMMV. This Ezekiel guy must have been a sharp dude.

I mentioned this in another thread, but Iā€™ve taken to pre morning ride snacks of one slice of Ezekiel raisin toast with honey for every 30 min of ride time for interval rides. I donā€™t do it prior to Carter, etc. Nate suggested this on the podcast, and I love it.

1 Like

Which one did you try? The original is what I tried and Iā€™ve seen a strong correlation between people liking it and people who tried the raisin variety.

Iā€™ve been eating 2 slices of the cinnamon raisin for breakfast or before an afternoon workout with either honey or tart cherry spreadā€¦love it. My wife has even been eating it for breakfast too.

1 Like

Realize this is an old thread, but actually trying to add some healthy breads back into my diet for good carbs - I have bought the Alvarado Street bakery Sprouted wheat a lot and while not some amazing bread, fits the bill in terms of no added sugars, whole grains etcā€¦ and I havenā€™t tried Ezekiel myself, but the first review on Amazon is that itā€™s the better tasting version for what itā€™s worth.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WGC5H8/ref=pd_alm_asim_1_2_fmw_nereid_kepler?fpw=fresh&pd_rd_r=9df4d7bf-006e-43d7-962d-be66a17a7286&pd_rd_w=nwUlb&pd_rd_wg=eCDxR&pd_rd_i=B000WGC5H8

I do peanut butter on the cinnamon raisin Ezekiel and I use the Ezekiel cereal in my Greek yogurt. But I definitely couldnā€™t do them by themselves.

Taste of bread depends a lot on the baking process, this is why bread from a bakery nearly always tastes better. It is hard to get the temperature right in a domestic oven.

Sarah Lee honey wheat. Low cal but TASTY

1 Like

I like Ezekial bread. First, it goes straight into the fridge because I canā€™t deal with frozen bread in the morning. Second, I always toast it lightly (itā€™s not good over toasted) and then put butter, jam, or peanut butter on it.

To me, Ezekial is just a vehicle for 4 grams of protein, 3 grams of fiber, and some healthy low glycemic carbs which is good for cycling.

10 years ago I would have thought it was horrible. Now, that I eat a very healthy diet my palate no longer expects sweetness in soft fluffy bread. It took me a while to get to the point where I didnā€™t need sugar on my oatmeal.

1 Like

Why, oh why, do Americans insist on adding cinnamon everywhere? Itā€™s like a virus that spreads to anything that could be eaten at breakfast.

I burn 5000+ calories a week cycling. Iā€™m not going to eat some weird, gross, expensive bread.

3 Likes

Iā€™m surprised to see so many negative comments regarding ezekiel bread. It tastes like regular bread to me, and even my two toddlers (4 yo and 2 yo) like eating it.

Edit: I toast the bread. I have never tried it untoasted.

1 Like

Iā€™m another person who considers it a delivery mechanism. DKB or Ezekiel bread get PB and honey. Cereal gets vanilla or chocolate almond milk or a banana/berries.

Do some people not realize you can toast frozen bread? Weird. Anyway, I havenā€™t tried Ezekiel bread yet, but recently started with a Canadian company (which may also be in some US locations, like Costco) thatā€™s doing the sprouted organic whole wheat thing as well and Iā€™ve found it quite good, especially toasted (previously thawed or frozenā€¦) with some PB&J on it. Didnā€™t like it as much untoasted in a sandwich though.

1 Like

Thatā€™s how we do bagels at home. Go to the real bagel places (that boil + wood-oven bake them), slice, freeze. Take out, toast, done.

Had the Silver Hiils bread, itā€™s ok, but nothing worth calling home. I get multigrain from the local bakery, and thatā€™s real bread. Meaning it has a crust that makes a ā€œcrustā€ sound.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had it.

It tastes like a cork coffee table coaster

1 Like