Extra Training Weeks Before Event

Hey guys, I just signed up for my first event and I’m trying to figure out how to adjust my training plan. I completed SSBLV 1 and SSBLV 2 with some extra group rides, indoor races and short endurance rides. My FTP went from 192 to 243.

I’m in week 2 of a low volume general build. I signed up to do the Hilly Hundred on December 7. Finishing my build and doing a century specialty plan would leave me 4 extra weeks before the race.

Would you recommend staying on track to complete a full base build specialty at the beginning of November? If so, what you do with those 4 weeks at the end?

Or should I make an adjustment before specialty starts so I’ll finish that plan leading up to race day?

I’ve also considered not doing a specialty and just restarting base after I finish build. What would you guys do? Should I switch from general to sustained build?

This is the event. 2019 — Hilly Hundred — Race Roster — Registration, Marketing, Fundraising

Thank you!

Main TR article:
https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025556952-Too-Much-Time-

Existing thread with some discussion:

1 Like

Would you guys do the century plan or the rolling road race plan?

Century works well if you plan to “ride” the event and just work gradually with groups and such. The profile is jumpy, and that may alter things, but unless you are planning to “attack” the climbs, the steady prep from Century works well.

• Also, don’t underestimate the work in the Century plan. I used it the first time 2 years ago and was shocked at the level or work within it. It has plenty of work around and above Threshold, which is a challenge.

Rolling Road Race makes more sense if you are going to be working in groups and being more “active” in attacking the pace and or hills.

1 Like

Thanks! Sounds like century might be the way to go. This is my first race and the goal right now is probably just to finish. We don’t have many or really any hills around here other than bridges so this is definitely going to be different. We went up and road the first 40 or so to get a feel for it.

Thanks Chad.

1 Like

Depending on your trainer (with your lack of hills for practice and depending on your gearing) I’d consider doing some low cadence work.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll check that out. Any advice on learning of how to climb out of the saddle?

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like