Everesting, my goal completed!

I found too steep and you’ll be grinding up regardless of gearing. Too flat and the distance starts to really get up there. There is definitely a Goldilocks gradient 8-10% I think.

2 Likes

This is building enough that I think we need a dedicated Everesting thread for most discussion.

I don’t want to overload this thread with somewhat off-topic discussion. But I do love that this post has sparked the interest and shown how many of us here have either done or been considering this massive undertaking.

3 Likes

Personal question what W/KG are you at, when I put numbers into Everesting I’m getting 18 hours presume you are over 4?

I’d be up for a Trainerroad / Alpe du Zwift Everesting event, something similar to the Disaster day event many of us took part in last year. Did “enjoy” doing that with other Traineroad users around the Zwift Volcano track.

2 Likes

I’m at 4.6w/kg, which is the highest I’ve ever been. Last year I got to 4.45w/kg. My goal this year was 4.5

1 Like

That sounds cool as well! Ultimately I’d love to do a real and virtual Everesting to see which I found harder. I can see pros and cons to both. Part of me is a bit more scared of a virtual effort for some reason, I think it’s more full on effort wise.

That term ‘real’ is a bit shady too. Masks the fact that you’re basically pushing on pedals on the road or trainer and it makes ‘virtual’ stuff sound easier.

3 Likes

I have never used Zwift, but is an actual Everest course on Zwift? So you don’t do any of the descent? You just set the ascent to 5-7% and ride for however long?

That would certainly get me interested in a Zwifterest (copyright pending :wink:

2 Likes

No, there is not a climb-only route. You still have to descend, You can use any of the hills on Zwift and all of the big ones have been vE’d. The most popular one now is Aple du Zwift.

2 Likes

Buy Kim some flowers, a steak dinner and a spa day. She was out there the whole time??? Wow.

2 Likes

Great idea, hope someone from Zwift is reading this, don’t think they imagined as many people climbing Alpe du Zwift as they get, a purpose built vEveresting ascent, believe they would be surprised at how many would attempt it. Give it a 24hour time limit, along with limited resting and force the full simulation effect and let people leave their road marker/tag to how far they got up!

Alpe du Zwift (ADZ) is approx 1058m for each ascent. So for 8848m that would require 9 ascents. May as well push on to 10,000M, whats one more climb :crazy_face:

Think it takes a round 10 minutes to descend, plenty of time for some fluids and refuelling.

Also read that for the vEveresting challenge, you have to have Zwift on 100% simulation. You are really going to feel every incline and kick on the way up. Never tried the full ADZ on 100%, that’s something to have a go at in the week(s) ahead. Did half of it once on 100% and that was hard.

Might start with two back to back efforts, get a feel for it.

3 Likes

How would they moderate the 100% simulation req though? Max gradient is 12% and I think that’s in the corners mostly from what I remember - it’s a bit rough but not as nasty as radio tower!

Definitely owe her big time, I think she’d much prefer a nice new set of race wheels though :joy::joy:

1 Like

I mean, whatever floats her boat, man… she earned that! Wow.

1 Like

Honor system for percentage. No way for them to verify really. And I am pretty sure they have a lost of acceptable trainers that all reach the peak grades of the hills on Zwift.

In reality, a lower Trainer Difficulty only changes the effective testing needed. The 'work’s to climb ends up the same in the end.

1 Like

Yeah it’s not something I’d get outraged about myself, you get guys doing climbs on super easy gears and people don’t get annoyed about that so it’s a bit similar the way I see it. Just being smart about how you achieve your objective :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Exactly what I thought the first time I heard of Disaster Day :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

What has everyone else tried to target for FTP % on the climbs. SOunds like 60-70% worked pretty well here. Just wanting to see if we get similar responses from others.