Erg mode use vs non standard

> Blockquote

• List item

I have been using a direct drive trainer for a while, i have attributed a lot of my gains to the manual use of this equipment. I have now purchased a cycleops hammer and I am a bit confused by the erg mode use as most workouts seen a bit easier to accomplish, however the Stomps being performed from a 57/11 from a stand still seemed mearly impossible. Can anyone provide feedback on this topic as I am about to give up on this equipment, I am afraid I will not improve my fitness in the future.

Hey there!

May I ask what direct drive trainer you were using in the past?

It is very possible that the power readings are slightly different, which leads to the workouts feeling too easy. Here’s what I would recommend:

1. Calibrate your Trainer
  2. Perform a Ramp Test to determine your FTP based on this trainer’s readings

This will re-establish a baseline to ensure that your workouts are exactly as difficult as they should be :slight_smile:

Don’t worry, you’ll keep getting faster :wink:

Hi Bryce I was using a non smart trainer ( le monds) with a 18lbs fly wheel , tempo and sweet spot intervals were very exhausting but manageable, vo2 definitely challenging. I did perform a boncliff today and had to turn the erg off as it appeared the resistance was at 8 during the first leg, after that the rest of the workout seem to still ace some added resistance to it even with erg off , power match off and resistance off, definitely a much different way not sure if this is a nurture if the equipment

It sounds like you are using a power meter, is that correct? Presumably, this is the same power meter that you were using with the Lemond trainer?

If that is the case, then the difficulty of your workouts should feel the same as before since 200 watts on the Hammer should be exactly the same as 200 watts on the Lemond.

The only other factor that could make the workout feel more or less difficult is the gearing is your gearing in ERG mode. Sometimes when using a harder gear, It sounds like you are using a crank or pedal mounted power meter, is that correct? Presumably, this is the same power meter that you were using with the Lemond trainer?

If that is the case, then the difficulty of your workouts should feel the same as before since 200 watts on the Hammer should be exactly the same as 200 watts on the Lemond.

The only other factor that could make the workout feel more or less difficult is your gearing in ERG mode. Sometimes when using a harder gear, the increased inertia can make it feel a bit easier to generate wattage. Try a few easier gear combinations to see if that makes a difference.

If you still feel they are too easy, go ahead and re-test your FTP with the new equipment and you’ll be good to go :slight_smile:

And with regards to the resistance changing even when ERG mode is disabled, that should not be happening. You may want to reach out to CycleOps Support if that feeling persists.

Best,

1 Like

That is correct Bryce , I have been using a crank based quarq d zero, as well as you . It makes sense the. Inertia in the le monds unit , however the cycle ops having resistance with everything turn of. Did not , I certainly appreciate all the feedback you have provided to me in order to clear my confusion, I will run woh your advice to contact cycle ops as ASAP. Once again thank you

I’m happy to help :+1: