Energy Gel that taste better?

yes, i got the variety pack , but i want to try something different. i also notice other brands are much more expensive than sis.

I havenā€™t, but I will now!

Yes. SIS is almost always on sale

2 Likes

Iā€™m a fan of SiSā€¦ I like the isotonic structure of their gels, but theyā€™re definitely not for everyoneā€¦ some people donā€™t like the taste of them and prefer the consistencies of Guā€™s, Hammerā€™s, etcā€¦ Frankly, Iā€™d rather have something I donā€™t feel like I always need to wash down with a swig from my water bottle after ingesting, but thatā€™s just meā€¦

4 Likes

Same, the flavors are pretty; just about palatable but the consistency makes up for it.

My favorite flavors are the apple cinnamon from Hammer, and just about all the Gu gels Iā€™ve liked. but I switched to SiS because theyā€™re a lot easier to take in during a ride and work.

1 Like

Maple syrup. Fill a reusable gel flask with it.

I fill a water bottle with it for long races and just add a little water. Even tastes great when itā€™s warm and easy on my stomach. Easy to calculate the carb count from the nutritional info so you can take in what you need for performance.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been really enjoying the Huma gels. Iā€™ve used Hammer, Clif, Untaped in the past. The Huma gels use chia seeds so the consistency is different from other gels.

1 Like

I love Torq gels. Flavours are next level Willy Wonka magic.

Apple Crumble, tastes like apple, AND crumble. Rhubarb and custard are pure madness. Mind boggling flavour skills :rofl:

But have you tried the snozzberries?

It autofills Google search with Torq Snozberry flavour, but no articles! What am I missing?

:rofl:

1 Like

Super Troopers GIF - Super Troopers Snozberries GIFs|833x411.5416666666667

2 Likes

At $US4 a gel, how many gels are consuming an hour? That would be $32 at 50g per hour for one ride. Ouch.

Yep, theyā€™re not cheap, so I save them for long hard rides, and for race day. I havenā€™t had any GI issues at all with them so far, unlike with other brands, so I feel like theyā€™re worth it.

Edit: I just remembered, you can get 15% off Maurten gels and powders if youā€™re registered for an Ironman event. Still expensive, but softens the blow a little.

I bought some GU Roctane salted lime gels on some introductory offer ($7 for 24), and I like them. Definitely not sweet.

I just noticed how much they cost now though, and Iā€™m not sure they are that goodā€¦

Clif blocks salted watermelon is amazing.

I am in the process of making my own gels to save some cash. Seems like you just need fructose, glucose and flavour.

2 Likes

12 Likes

Taste is so subjective that I donā€™t see how anyone can give you a good answer. My wife loves lima beans - I canā€™t stand them. If they made a lima bean flavored gel sheā€™d love it, and Iā€™d rather bonk.

1 Like

Maurten gels are my favorite but the price has become too much of a turnoff for me. Iā€™ll still use some for races and on occasional training rides. I like the lack of taste, texture, and their wrappers rip clean.

But Iā€™m trying some other less expensive gels to see which I like and tolerate. SIS Iā€™ve used before. Texture is fine. Taste I donā€™t love. Iā€™ve now got some huma gels and Cranksports e-gels Iā€™m going to try. Iā€™m super curious to try the Cranksports since theyā€™re 37g carbs but still inexpensive.

I just checked sis and theyā€™ve marked the price up again. On sale for $50 for a box of 30. I just ordered maltodextrin and fructose. I can make beta fuel with 45g of carbs with 1:0.5 for 18c a pop.