Emonda 2021 New Pictures

Thanks! Pic is helpful.

Same here. I really really like the new Aeolus bar/stem combo and consider buying it for my bike. My existing bike routes the cables into the stem already and I’m looking for a neat solution with the bar/stem. And to be honest to myself: It is zero about aero or weight savings - it’s just about design.

My requested features: No internal routing, some kind of channel/groove for a tidier routing, and no super sharp bends in the cable routing. I run GRX mechanical 1x. So no super sharp bends for the shifting cable and I don’t want to cut my hydraulic cables (plus as a home mechanic, I don’t want to deal with the internal cabling).

The new Aeolus handlebar ticks all the boxes and I really like the fixture in the bottom. The runner up is this one: Black Inc Integrated Barstem | Black Inc

Unfortunately, both are at a price range where I will not upgrade as of now (I just can’t justify it just for the looks).

My only concern with the Bontrager Aelous: The cable length has to be pretty spot on. A bit too short and it doesn’t fit. A bit too long and it would either bulge out under the handlebar or between the screwed part and the inlet at the fork. Or do I miss something here?

Yeah, the price is pretty steep for both of those. Not sure what bike you have but the RSL version would work perfectly with my Domane. The Black Inc version is nowhere near as “neat” in terms of cable routing.

Luckily, because of the way the cables are routed on the Domane, I wouldn’t have to be spot-on with cable length.

Just picked up my prior gen Emonda from shop after getting the new RSL integrated bar installed. This cleaned up the front of my bike and now I have my Di2 junction box in the bar end rather than under the stem. The bar wrap had to be extended slightly more than I initially wanted because it helps secure the cables running underneath.

Here are some shots of the “new” Aero-monda…

11 Likes

post deleted, post deleted

Officially, Trek says you can only run 28mm tires. There are some YouTube videos (check out RideMedia) that show 32mm tires installed. I would think 30mm should be no problem at all.

Just built it up today. Nicer pictures to follow. Have yet to ride the beast.

Full Build:
TREK Emonda SLR 9 size 58 Project One KOM Paint Job
CeramicSpeed BB Coated
Long Seat Mast in glossy carbon
SRAM Red eTAP 48/35 10-33 48/35 10-33 172.5mm with titanium pulley wheels
Bontrager RSL Cockpit 100mm/ 380mm with Wahoo mount
Bontrager Aeolus RSL 37 Wheels
Schwalbe Aerothan Endurance Tubes (subtract 18g for race weight)
Schwalbe Pro One TLE Addix (subtract 110g for race weight)
Berk Lupina Padded saddle
Speedplay Nanogram pedals
Duotrap speed and cadence sensor + Magnets on Spoke and Pedal
ENVE bar tape
CarbonWorks bottle cages

Everything listed above is included in the weight. For my race build with 25C tires, the weight should go into UCI illegality. Don‘t tell them, please :shushing_face:

10 Likes

Looks sweet, enjoy :+1:

1 Like

I recently bought myself a '21 Emonda SL7, but have noticed the front end rattles an awful lot when going over any surface which isn’t smooth.

Is this a common problem?

How aero are the wheel reflectors?

I want a new SLR badly but don’t have the money burning a hole in my pocket and finding it tough to justify the cost of even an SLR7 (let alone the 9) for what it would offer over my 2016 SL. Definitely would get an SLR9 if money was no object and I only had one road bike for everything, but to sell my bike for 3k at best and spend $8,000+, i can’t do it.

Definitely jealous of those who can :disappointed:

I tried to get a few good pictures during my ride today. It is really difficult to capture the Navy Smoke color way. It looks utterly stunning in the light, but iPhone Camera just isn’t really able to capture that…
The last image is probably the best depiction of what makes it so special.

10 Likes

what bag are you using under saddle (if it is a “bag”)?

https://www.rapha.cc/de/de/shop/saddle-bag-small/product/SDP01XXBPK
But it‘s hardly ever available…

Some one on another forum asked for an image of the Emonda with deep section rims. It is really crazy, but I kinda like it, so here you go:

5 Likes

I wish I had the money, I really do, but practically speaking I wonder how much faster it is compared to my 2016 with Aeolus 5 wheels and a non aero one piece bar.

If I could get anything, P1 SLR9 DA Di2 with the yellow paint to try and replicate my bike

Aeolus 5 wheels are faster than Aeolus RSL 37, the new frame + handlebar is probably some 10 or 15 watts faster than the older model at 45kph. It‘s not actually that big of a deal.

1 Like

Figured not but one can dream right haha. I’m more interested in the 800 OCLV, mine is 500 series and is great but not the stiffest or lightest, which again may be very marginal. It IS very compliant though

This is my first Trek. I had a once in a lifetime opportunity to buy a used 2022 Emonda SLR frame set for $1000USD. I moved everything except bars, post and BB off the 54 Scott Addict RC 10 in the foreground. Sitting as pictured (try to get a nicer pic soon) it’s 18.14lbs or 8.22Kg. I’m obviously not a WW but, this came in a bit heavier than I expected. Build list:

1. 2022 Emonda SLR size 56 with short post cap.
  2. Bontrager Aeolus Pro 51 TLR wheels and 28c Conti GP 5k TL tires.
  3. Pro Vibe carbon aero bars 400mm.
  4. Pro Vibe aluminum stem 110mm.
  5. SRAM Force eTap AXS with PM on 165mm cranks (48/35 rings and 10/33 cassette).
  6. SRAM T47 BB.
  7. Bontrager tape.
  8. Bontrager Aeolus RSL carbon saddle (145).

With the deeper DT Swiss Dicut 1100 wheels it weighed 17.7lbs/8.0Kg.

Only a couple rides so far. No hard data performance wise but, it’s on par with every other high end bike I’ve ridden. It does feel a bit more lively or responsive than the Scott. The Scott 10 is their 2nd tier frame similar to Treks SL frame so, perhaps the layup is what I’m feeling. Ironically it feels a little like my Scott CR1 Sl from way back in 2006. What was weird is the Trek felt smaller. I got nothing on that and I had a little toe overlap with 165’s and a 44 shoe. I think the wheel base on the 56 Emonda is less than the 54 Scott Addict RC.

Over I’m satisfied but, super glad I didn’t pay full retail or wait forever for it. For anyone in the market I think the SL is just way better bang for the buck. It will perform almost identical but, will probably feel just a little muted (500 v 800 OCLV) similar to Scott’s HMX SL v. HMX frames.

10 Likes

Looks great. I actually have the same frame on order. I’m very surprised by the weight? I know the force group is somewhat heavy and the wheels are not Super light but most of the components you’re using are not heavy.

I was hoping to be sub 6.8 although you have me scratching my head now.

:slight_smile:

1 Like