Elite Rizer, Grade Simulation & Steering Control

ETA:

https://www.elite-it.com/en/products/home-trainers/ecosystem-accessories/rizer

2 Likes

$1100 is pretty steep (haha, dadjoke), then again when I zwift it’s only to have TR doing erg mode so I’m not exactly the target audience of such a thing

2 Likes

Yeah, pricing seems rather high considering the Wahoo Climb retails at $600 USD. If Elite has “solved” the failure problem that Wahoo created via their overworked belt design (looks like a linear screw actuator to me), and actually offer some useful function via the steering (physical interaction and game use), then that price difference may be justifiable.

But I think it’s a hard sell at this point, especially considering the Rizer retails for more than several of the compatible trainers it’s meant to accompany :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

crazy expensive

2 Likes

I added the DCR article (that was just released) in the OP at the top.

DesFit just now too.

I have no interest in actually buying either this or the wahoo one, but I do appreciate the use of a leadscrew based mechanism, and the fact that it actually looks good aesthetically (wahoo one looks like some sort of strange toy to me).

1 Like

The implementation of this unit is quite impressive. The details in DesFit’s video of the bottom side in particular, show a great level of detail and planning with the spring and resistance design. The linear screw motion is also nice and may be more reliable than the belt failures we have seen in the Wahoo Climb. Noting that, the Rizer still relies on a mechanical brake to prevent dropping of the rider. That can also fail, which would lead to a drop, but might be more “controlled” vs the pure fall that happens when the belt snaps on the Climb.

I also like all the fine details present in the steering design. The lateral slide helps handle the inevitable geometry differences between the steering geo of the frame and the Rizer with so many different bikes possible, and along the grade limits. Overall, it looks like a very well engineered product.

1 Like

Where did you see the detail regarding a mechanical brake?
I saw this pic on DCR, with the big screw mechanism, an anti-drop failure brake shouldn’t be necessary IMO.

It should not be possible to really backdrive the mechanism, so that is the safety in and of itself. (Like how a bolt wont turn if you grab a nut threaded onto it and press the nut in/out.)

I am guessing on the brake design, based on my experience with linear actuators we use and build here. It’s possible the lead screw angle will prevent backdrive. My experience is with actuators handling 1000+lbs load, and they will definitely reverse in the event of brake failure. The motor resistance and lead angle are not sufficient to hold the loads.

I know we are talking about a lower loads here, and it may be insufficient to reverse in the event of failure, but it is a possibility.

1 Like

DC Rainmaker’s video did say that the shipping costs for them internally to get this to the US was about $400 alone due to current state of international shipping. Not sure if that means this will come down in time, but seems like a lot of cost that could be optimized.

1 Like

Yeah, shipping is crazy now and may recede over time. I suspect Elite is focusing largely on sales without oceanic shipping for now and hope to gain more international sales if/when shipping costs drop a fair bit.

unfortunately, not sure how this guy might behave on my rocker plate given the heft and footprint.

1 Like

Ridiculous price for a gimmicky device. They may sell a few to some dentists, but that’s pretty much it.

Yeah, I have considered the use on a rocker as well. The mass is relatively low and not all that different from the Wahoo Climb generally speaking. The greater mass is low enough (largely in the base and lower tower) that I don’t expect a huge change in motion compared to a Climb at least (while both are heavier than a pure wheel for sure).

The Rizer is better in ways, if you consider that you can more firmly attach and hold the 4 outer pods for the base compared to the “free” mount that is needed for the Climb.