Early Access to iOS Beta: Updated TrainerRoad

Even though I started and finished the workout on the 13th, it shows I did it in the 14th! image|231x500

1 Like

Did my 4th workout yesterday on the latest version of the iOS Beta. To get around the app sleeping, I went into Settings>Display&Brightness>Auto-Lock>Never.

App was responsive for the most part, however one issue I did notice is that after calibrating my trainer, getting back to the ‘All Devices’ screen took awhile, despite clicking on the arrow.

Also, when the workout was finished, on the main screen, both the completed workout and the scheduled workout were showing. (see attached photo).

1 Like

I have noticed this too. Thought it was just me.

1 Like

I haven’t had any issues with the phone going to sleep.

I have had issue with lag time. The other day the “today” and refresh buttons were totally unresponsive. The next day they were fine. But I have found I have to touch several times to get the app to recognize “command”

2 Likes

First ride in the beta today.
Conditions:
iOS 14.0.1
Wahoo kickr '18
Assioma Dual pedals
Powermatch for warmup
No powermatch for the rest
Spindown for kickr and calibration for pedals done
Carson
Recording power from pedals via ant+ on Fenix 5 plus for data validation
Ride link
Test outcome:
Powermatch did not work well at all for me.
The app would display the correct target power, but actual wattage was lower than app reported.
Tried legacy, new, manual powermatch settings and could not get actual power and displayed power to come close to matching.
Did the rest of the workout with ERG on, but powermatch off and displayed power showed double my actual power :muscle:t4: :muscle:t4:
Display would not stay awake
Calendar in app moved my completed workout from yesterday to today

1 Like

Chad’s OTT notes are truncated at the end for each phrase
iPad Mini 2… couldn’t get a screenshot to report as the hardware button is flakey

1 Like

Did Antelope this morning and sweat paused the ride. I was at the end of interval 4 and it scrubbed the data and started me back at 1 minute left in interval 3.
And online TSS says 78 and on the app says 68.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for all the rides and the feedback! It’s been amazingly helpful, and we have been cranking out some fixes. We fixed a few of the major ones like the Workout Player going to sleep, and rides not associating correctly after completion.

iPads and Android: iPads are reading for testing! :raised_hands: Please pay extra close attention to the Workout Player and please send anything you come across our way through the beta feedback in iOS or here in the forum.

Android is getting close, but isn’t quite ready. We’re actively finishing some of the final pieces. I’ll make a new thread and announce when it’s ready just like I did with this one.

We’re still working hard, and have lots to tackle but we are going to open up the Beta to more users again, and we’re supplying a direct link to click from the device you would like to test on.

In this version we have made the following fixes or improvements

•	Fixed a problem with the STAC Zero Halcyon showing power
•	Fixed a problem with Assioma pedals showing incorrect power
•	Fixed an issue with a blank screen sometimes showing when scheduling workouts
•	Estimate Duration for Swim Events on distance
•	Fixed a problem with calendar not staying up to date while backgrounded
•	Prevent Screen from going to sleep during a workout
•	Fixed a flash showing when loading Calendar items
•	Improved Workout and Ride Loading times
•	Fixed a problem saving "Other" activities with 0/Empty Hours field
•	Fixed a problem with some translation issues after swapping languages
3 Likes

I just updated to the new beta. It replaced my workout tomorrow with a Ramp Test? Not sure why. I was supposed to do Carpathian Peak as I’m smack in the middle of SSB2

Edit: For some reason it seems to have made today the Start of my Week 9 after the update

1 Like

I am looking into this, but I’m not sure why it replaced Carpathian Peak with the Ramp Test. Delete the Ramp Test and replace it with your prescribed workout and we’ll dig into why.

Will do. Thanks

1 Like

Just tested, having the same issue on the stages SB20 smartbike where the workout never starts, just flickers between “Pedal to start” and the countdown starting, never gets past 5.

1 Like

One more thing…

A couple times I have noticed that after the workout is complete and the summary screen pops up it will say something like “90/75 TSS” or “0.95/0.86” IF.

I went back today to look at the workout and it now it says exactly “75/75 TSS”. Is this a bug?

1 Like

Just received an email to use Test Flight and update to latest beta. Did that, logged in, and Wed/Thur workouts are showing as Thur/Fri:

Workouts shown on correct dates on web calendar.

1 Like

Here’s a fun one… on Tuesday I had a couple dropouts (Garmin 530 and Stages gen3). Ride synced from GC to TR, and hours later I fixed the dropouts in GoldenCheetah. Successfully created a new .fit of the workout with manually fixed cadence power.

Then I tried uploading via web without first deleting the synced workout. That web tab appeared to be still uploading hours later, and I eventually killed the Safari browser tab.

Didn’t pay attention until today and now I have two workouts for Tuesday in web view:

And you can see the power dropouts in the original GC synced workout.

Meanwhile in the app the fixed workout’s power graph is not viewable:

Also note the difference in time stamps between web view and app.

Forgot how much I love beta testing :joy:

2 Likes

You know, now that you mention that, I see it on mine too.

2 Likes

Updated to the newest version but my STAC Zero still shows no power. Quit the app, hard booted my phone, and that didn’t fix it either. Desktop app still works perfect so I completed the ride with my Mac.

Also the ride I did tonight (Friday) shows up as completed on Saturday:

1 Like

Ebbett+2 today. Resistance for surges stopped coming on. Back pedalling fixed otherwise only worked again after a rest interval. Went to resistance mode for last interval which highlighted another problem: resistance adjustment is a slider - hard to adjust; buttons would be better. Need more granular resistance changes - steps to big.

Beta App in general very unresponsive on my iPhone 7. Regular snappy and responsive on my iPhone 6.

How do I go back to regular app?

1 Like

I haven’t done workouts yet, but I found one bug and several issues. I will do my first workout with the beta later today, but I thought I’ll give the app a quick shake before I do.

I am using the app on a 12.9” iPad Pro (2018) with iOS 14.0.1 (the latest official release as of today).

Bug: first week of planned workouts shifted by a day

My training plan is a standard mid-volume plan with the first workout of the week being scheduled on Tuesdays (the default). Only the very first week of workouts is shifted by a week and only in the app. On the web calendar, everything appears as expected, workouts on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

UI Improvement: app makes extremely bad use

I have a 12.9” iPad and the app makes extremely bad use of the space. It seems to use the same list as on my phone. I would like to see a list like on the web in sufficiently large browser windows.

UI Improvement: Account window

There are several issues:

1. FTP is a measurement with units, and you should add “(W)” after FTP analogous to Weight.

2. The entry in weight does not handle significant digits correctly. It converts 73.0 into 73.

3. Specific power has the wrong units, it is not “FTP/kg” (FTP is not a unit and dividing it by kg makes no sense), but “W/kg”. I propose you change the label to something like “FTP/weight (W/kg)”.

4. The birthdate field does not use the iOS date picker, but a very cumbersome date picker.

1 Like

Ok, I have done two workouts back-to-back, and I have put the workout screen through its paces. It is rough. There are three issues that are close to show-stoppers for me, they significantly and unnecessarily increased my cognitive load. If I had to guess the reasons for those are two-fold: (1) It seems nobody has tested the app with a dumb trainer. And (2) nobody has tested the app with a 12.9” iPad.

For reference:

• 12.9” iPad Pro (2018)
  • iOS 14.0.1
  • 4iiii single-sided power meter (on a Shimano 6800-series crankarm)

Serious issue 1: Power bar bubble completely obscures the power bar

OMG, this drove me up the wall. I was not able to screenshot this, because if you are on a dumb trainer you really need to focus to keep your power constant. The issue is that the bubble that indicates the average interval power is so big that it extends over the entire height of the power bar. When I am in shape, I can usually stay within a +/- 5W window of the target power. I mostly use the power bar to do that, and we are only talking about a few pixels to the left or right of the line that indicates the target power. As a consequence and combined with Issue #2 below, I was usually 5-10 W over my target power.

The enlarged average power bubble completely obscures this, because in my case the center of the bubble is always close to the target power line.

Proposed solution: significantly shrink the average power bubble and/or increase the size of the power bar.

Serious issue 2: Power numbers flicker and fluctuate

As far as I understand my power meter sends power data every second. In the non-beta version of the TrainerRoad app, my power number would update every second. Since I am on a dumb trainer, I need to process the current power and see if I should slightly back down and push slightly harder to hit my target power.

With the beta, the power would update not just once, but roughly every second, my power numbers would update several times in quick succession. This means I have to focus way more on my power number. Combined with the average power bubble obscuring my current power level, this made it very hard to hit my power numbers. Usually I was 5-10 W over my target power.

Proposed solution: Update the power numbers only once a second.

Serious issue 3: Workout text is completely unreadable due to small font size

I use a 12.9” iPad Pro also because I wear glasses and everything is bigger. But the workout text is really, really small. It is so small that I couldn’t read it in an oxygen-deprived state.

Proposed solution: Increase font size so that it covers 80 % of the width of the iPad. Feel free to use more than one line.

I have noticed plenty of other, smaller issues as well.

UI Issue: Wasted space on 12.9” iPad, numbers and figures too small

One reason why I love using TR on my iPad is that the previous version would choose font sizes to fill my entire screen. The new version no longer does that. This makes everything harder to read.

Cosmetic Issue: Start Workout is not visually centered

I noticed that the Start Workout button is not visually centered.

Localization bug #1: Onboarding screen in the wrong language

The onboarding login screen was in German for some reason. (I am German, but my iPad is set to US English. My date & time format prefs are a mixture of German and Japanese.) The rest of the beta is in English. I don’t know whether this was a spurious bug due to the TrainerRoad app not reading the language prefs correctly or something else.

Expected behavior: The TR app respects the chosen language in iOS’s Settings app.

Localization bug #2: End time does not respect Date & Time preferences in iOS’s Settings

The End Time uses the US time format even though I use 24h time format in iOS’s Settings.

Expected behavior: TR app conforms to the chosen Time & Date format in iOS’s Settings.

1 Like