Do you use "Estimated Body Temperature Data Field" on your Garmin?

since a while i use the Estimated Body Temperature Data Field

i know it’s experimental, you have experience with it?

are you interested in comparing the data, possibly with data from a ramp test?

what I have noticed so far, in strenuous units I reach almost 39 degrees Celsius, can that be possible, does the body have a limit?

here a picture from my last Ramp Test:

Did not know there was such a thing :thinking:

2 Likes

Does it involve a new wireless sensor I haven’t heard about that measures your internal temperature? How does it… wait, no, I’d rather not know.

3 Likes

it works with every HR chest strap and the result looks not so bad, for my feeling, but would be interesting to compare with others :nerd_face:

Anyway, there will come a special sensor bythis company soon, but it looks like, it is very expensive:

yesterday, after a rather hot ride, my Edge 1030 flashed a little notice that I was “25% adapted” to the heat. I have no idea where THAT came from. It made me feel better for wilting, though.

You guys don’t ride with ANT+ enabled rectal thermometers? Amateurs.

13 Likes

So far I would not have noticed that the heat has too much influence on my body temperature

I always try to look at things a bit scientifically, even though I’m not a scientist, and I’m more of an amateur, but too nerdy :nerd_face:

Haven’t played with the Garmin body temp app. Don’t know how they estimate core temp from HR, but I can’t imagine it’s super accurate at an individual level.

Garmin has the Tempe sensor which I’ve used for skin-temp readings indoors. Hook it to my HR band on the side of my chest. Can definitely see the massive difference from fan vs no-fan (like 32deg vs 26deg readings) and different clothing layers. But unfortunately it won’t connect to a Garmin that already has on-board temperature sensor, like most of the Edge units, so I haven’t used it out on the road.

Skin temp isn’t core temp, but it’s one part of the temperature gradient that’s relevant for how performance is limited by thermoregulation. Core temp basically reaches a limit that the body is unwilling to exceed, so performance and further heat generation will be throttled. A bigger gradient (greater difference in temp) from core to skin and the surrounding environment allows the body to shed heat faster, therefore perform more work at a higher rate of heat generation to match the rate of cooling.

Hence why fans to increase skin cooling are so critical for indoor performance.

2 Likes

here is now a hands on of the CORE i mentioned in this thread:

1 Like

I used this garmin field for a month before my https://corebodytemp.com sensor arrived.

Running them both at the same time, it is clear the garmin field (for me) wildly overestimates the body temp field.

1 Like

thanks for the info, is it worth to buy? is the App for Mobile Phone good, it looks a little bit primitiv?

can you share a screenshot from Garmin Connect to see both temp curves?

Sure here are some screenshots. Garmin itself, iOS app, Garmin Connect iOS, Garmin Connect Web, WKO5. 3098

1 Like

I don’t have a longer ride with both curves, but I can do that on my next ride

1 Like

thanks a lot, you see the data in WKO5 and Training Peaks too?

You tried to use it for a 24 hour measurement over a hole day too?

would be interesting how the temp is during the night compared to a workday, i know, it’s more my nerd inside of me, but i think i will buy it! :nerd_face: :crazy_face:

I don’t use TP, so I don’t know. But yes they made a dashboard for wko5. Can’t figure out how to change to Fahrenheit, dammit.

I haven’t worn for a day yet. I did wear overnight and the graph was pretty flat.

Get it! It’s interesting stuff

1 Like

thanks, i think, it will be my christmas present, seems the price is now better as during the start, now arround 231 EUR or 272 US

OK here’s the graph as requested. Gray is estimated, and you can see how it seems to be be chained on a short leash to heart rate. The core sensor is properly far less volatile.

1 Like

Just trying to understand, what is the actionable information one would seek to get from this if worn during exercise and 24/7?

I cannot control the outside temps, so I’m not sure what I would do with this information in that situation. Indoors I could probably tell without this if my cooling was adequate. Is this more for testing heat acclimation when preparing for an event like Kona?

1 Like