Do sports drinks trigger an increase in phlegm?

I love Tailwind, GU, even Gatorade but they make my throat produce infinite ammounts of mucus…

Does it happen to you, too?

Just water then feels so refreshing, but then you end up pretty hungry after a 2h sweet spot workout, you know… Not to mention it might not give you enough fuel…

1 Like

Have you tried Skratch? I always have that sticky mouthfeel with most sports drinks/powders, but Skratch has to be the least loogie inducing electrolyte drink I’ve used.

2 Likes

Did you ever do that experiment in school where you chew bread and note the increase in sweetness? Digestion starts in the mouth as soon as you put something in.

Try rinsing your mouth with plain water after every sip of energy drink. It’ll probably save you some money at the dentists as well.
Personally, I like to make 2x strength carb drinks and follow each sip with a plain water flush.

2 Likes

This is something which I am all too familiar with, god I hate this. For a while now I have been experimenting with different consistencies in my iso drink but still get that awful loogie. A bit of salt helps, a second bottle with just water is always a must, but still… Any and all good advice on how to limit this will be welcome :face_vomiting::nerd_face:

1 Like

Hey Rosscopeco,
Thanks. No, never did that experiment…
When you say 2x, what do you mean?
Also, how big and how often are the sips? I tend to just splash a lot every 15 minutes or so (and very little if any water… That might be the issue…?)

1 Like

A bit of salt…? :thinking:

1 Like

Nope, haven’t had it but will look into it :ok_hand::+1:

1 Like

Yeah it helps a bit with the taste of the mix, a pinch of salt doesn’t make it as sweet. I’m thinking of maybe adding a squeezed lemon into it as well :thinking:

1 Like

I have allergies an phlegm is a part of that. I have
this problem with some sports drinks, but not with others. I would advice you to experiment with different brands. Maxim (probably only available in Scandinavia) is a complete no go for me, Gatorade and some other things also does not work well. High5, Maurten, Enervit and my wife’s homemade currant syrup does work.

1 Like

I find gels too hard to fiddle with while riding so I make bottles of double strength carb mix. I then have either another bottle or my hydration pack filled with plain water. I did the same for my kayak races prior to bikes and it just works.
If I was doing short races I’d probably live with the sugar slobber and stick with one bottle.

10 or 15 minutes tends to be my routine. Bigger doses of sugar if there’s a 20 minute climb coming up in a few Kms seems to help.
Bear in mind I’m an amateur racer and I’m still experimenting.

Interesting. Worth giving it a shot! Thanks for sharing :+1:

Ha… I will give that one a try! :ok_hand:

Did you find any solution to this ?
I am experiencing the same issue and I feel that I develop this problem overtime with any drink that I try.
Powerade was fine for me in the begining but now I get too much phlegm espcially towoards the end of a long run after 90 to 120 mintues. Before this I had the same problem with Maple syrup based homemade electrolyte drink.