Do I resubscribe?

Chapeau

The android version too? It’s just that there’s not been any beta testing offered for it yet. But count me in when it is available :wink:

I’m renewing in 3 weeks. Not currently using the TR plans (coached athlete), but there are some things I enjoy about the TR platform and very interested to see where TR is going.

4 Likes

Yah. From my understanding the feature are done and we’re testing the workout player. I expect it to be out in the next couple weeks for beta testing.

6 Likes

Excellent news thanks.

First, wasn’t expecting to see @Nate_Pearson on here given his concussion. Take it easy, big guy!

I’ve been reading this thread for a while. At first my thought was “I’m grandfathered at $99/yr, so I don’t get the issues raised.” But there are several themes here that now have me thinking.

Background: my history shows I joined in 2013, doing month to month during the winter seasons through 2014. Got a bunch of Sufferfest vids (back in the purchase model days) and rejoined TR in Fall 2018 with an annual subscription and renewed twice now (including early this month). Just coming off a TKR 8 weeks ago, so am eager to get back into a plan once I’m far enough along the recovery path.

I’m not a Zwift/game/social media interaction type of guy, so the TR training platform itself works for me. There certainly are some tweaks mentioned in this thread about UI and function that could be tuned, but I’m not looking for gee whiz gamer eyes stuff.

I am thinking that all the bells and whistles around calendar and plan builder actually don’t add a ton of value for me personally as I still have to move/tweak lots of things as a 66yo rider. Somehow the changes I make never seem to go as simply as they apparently they do for others (and thanks to Chad McNeese for all his links to documentation!)

Also, the Thing 1 foreshadowing is getting a bit old. I understand market competition, but there is something about giving your customers a clearer picture of where you’re going – and a target window for when releases of significance will be delivered. For startups I think we all have more tolerance; TR is well beyond that hall pass and their annual new subscriber pricing warrants accountability on their part.

I still listen to the podcast, but the longer-form has pushed my tolerance/attention span.

So, what to do/how to think. First, I don’t think I’m influenced by the critical voices in this thread. I do appreciate that they’ve helped me go beyond my first tendency just to go along. Second, I will be sorely disappointed if the Thing 1 hoopla either continues for a bunch more months (nope, haven’t quantified that yet for myself) or doesn’t address things that would be value to me.

I’m in with this next year renewed so TR has my money. I do think they are “good people,” but that doesn’t given them a pass on re-earning my business. I have other causes for which to do charity donations.

I will jump into a plan when my knee tells me it’s time; and I will look to get value for my $99/year this year – and am optimistically hopeful TR will continue to grow in the value added for subscribers.

5 Likes

Did you ever consider this approach:
Publishing the TR workout definition format (or a known standard format that TR can handle) and then having an API endpoint that receives and imports workouts for a user.

So taking advantage of the community and the multiple workout creator tools out there instead of building your own.

I remember vaguely that you are hesitant to supporting an API…whereas I would see great potential. Good recovery @Nate_Pearson!

This is possible today with our api, it’s just not documented.

The api stuff seems like something only a small subset of users would actually use unless there’s a company on the other side willing to push workouts.

2 Likes

Adjusting on the fly prior to doing a workout would be a super cool addition. You also need the ability to repeat/skip steps in a workout whilst doing it. If you are feeling strong you can do more, if you are feeling less strong more recovery. This step in particular would stop people quitting workouts. There is a massive difference in feeling between quitting a workout say after 2 intervals rather than being able to finish a workout by adding more recovery. (However, can make you adjust a workout too readily) Stops you dreading the next!
I appreciate you don’t just rush stuff out half done. Everything you do is thought about from a riders perspective. Leads to great innovation. I’d happily wait a bit longer for a better product. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Would you be willing to point to some endpoint / minimal information so that us willing to test could give it a try?

Fiddler + TR Workout Creator

2 Likes

The change to making outdoor workouts a different duration than the indoor ones is a big strike against resubscribing for me.

You can send workouts to Garmin, Interval.icu, Training Peaks.

There is a phone app.

There is a browser workout player.

Web based workout calendar, workout creator, workout libraries (paid version) and you can us any workout another user has made that are public.

“Today” or whatever its called, choice of reccomended workouts for the day, hit refresh it gives more options

Coach Jack (plans)

2 Likes

Oh and in paid version you can also create plans.

Its a bargin imo, being using it since 2019 some times with other software (if I got a month or two trial subscription when buying hardware, or an offer / discount) but mainly on its own.

Costing me about £3.10 - £3.25 a month dependant on the exchange rate.

1 Like

Didn’t Zwift (or some platform) hand out free TrainerDay subs around that time? I feel like it was during the Tour or something. That’s when I first heard of them.

The only one I remember being connected was “Today’s Plan” and that was connected to their annual Zwift Academy the last time I saw them together.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Z has officially handed out anything related to TrainerDay.

I think as @mcneese.chad says that was Todays Plan.

1 Like

Ahh! You guys are right. I had actually turned those into 1 app in my head. Now I have some research to do.

1 Like

And the HR target controlled ERG mode is a pretty cool and unique feature.

Great for any situation where you want to keep a cap on your HR. Rehab in my case after a medical event

1 Like

Trainerday only has a iOS and Android app, they do have a web page that duplicates whats on the mobile app, and can embed YouTube video’s but no Windows app

Been with TD since 2019ish, can’t recall, there workout player is great, but tending to do my workouts in Zwift at the moment as with the play controller you have all the trainer controls @ your tips, great being able to change erg on off with two button presses, or intenstity with one, without taking your hand of the handlebars , I do my Z2 workouts using TD, as can set a HR and let it control the trainer, great way to do Z2

3 Likes