No longer able to afford TR

As a self employed uk person, I’m having to say goodbye to TR after about 3 years using it. The British pound is now almost equivalent to the US dollar in exchange rate. What last year cost me £150 plus exchange rate charges is now going to cost me £185 plus exchange rate charges. This will now mean that the $189 annual cost costs me pretty much £189.

With our ever increasing fuel and fod prices i can no longer afford TR.

Such a sad state of affairs to be in.

Goodbye TR :sleepy:

22 Likes

(cries in Japanese yen)

26 Likes

I had to make the same call a few months ago after an audit of my outgoings - as a full time student, along with the increase in price of food and fuel, I couldn’t afford the extra cost.

I try to support through the forum and the podcast instead.

12 Likes

These are certainly difficult times.

5 Likes

I thought we(South Korea, won) are in worse situation, but after looking into charts… oh dear. It’s crazy everywhere.

4 Likes

Eur is worthless as well and you might want to add it to the list of charts…

5 Likes

I’ve just joined, and not convinced I am staying. I can’t afford to dish out 189 @ the moment, and for £20 a month I can have Zwift and Trainerday, and coffee on the club ride, and have a little change

8 Likes

When the UK or the USA sneezes, we in South Africa catch your cold and suffer the financial consequences.
Not easy and all about priorities when it comes to finances.

7 Likes

So my purchasing power had greatly increased even with high inflation? I probably should avoid making jokes about this…

1 Like

Is Trainer Day any good?

I’m on the verge of taking a similar decision too, the price differential between TR and Zwift has just kept growing for us in the UK as the exchange rate has tanked so it’s no longer an easy decision. I currently pay for and use both platforms but TR is likely to be the one to go in the next month or so.

3 Likes

Did me alright last winter / this summer, paid version has a very good plan builder, it does require some fiddling but has a LOT more options, it is a fifth of the price, so you arn’t going to get things like AT (yet) or PL’s, and it’s more aimed at people who know their bodies / create their own progressiion,

workout player is better IMO, mainly as it’s one click to toggle erg

2 Likes

You could still keep training at 30% less if you subscribed to WahooX for $129/year.
Are you looking at other training platforms to stay actively engaged?

2 Likes

Atleast the podcast is free! Arguably more effective than TR. (not saying TR is not effective). But you can learn a lot about self coaching through there.

4 Likes

I’ve one more race to go next week but I’ve already reinstated my Monday restday this week and one of my LV workouts has been replaced by all of this summer by a chaingang (paceline) mainly for the social interaction and my inability psychologically to stay in the TT position or seated sometimes when things really get tough instead of accepting failure which is probably why AI/AT isn’t working for me. That leaves me with one endurance session (which may just be my commute) and one intensity session. I’ll play it by ear (so as to speak) but if I need to make cuts I don’t think losing TR will hurt me too much varied work outs and the calendar as I see it are my main benefits.

Much as I dislike our current government, I think there is a somewhat more significant event unfolding in Eastern Europe right now and its knock-on effects on energy are weakening all European currencies relative to the dollar…

It wont change my approach, having been a seasonal TR subscriber, the cost difference of a few quid a month isnt going to stop me using TR this winter, but the cost was already too high for me to justify a year round subscription when I barely touch the trainer for the warm half of the year (which is a shame as I would really like to keep the calendar function all year round…)

9 Likes

I 100% agree with you there with regards to the effect on all European currencies. However, the recent issue of the ridiculous mini budget by our government has now caused the GBP to plummet to an all time low.

Unfortunately paying for TR on a monthly basis is also out of the equation as it is both more expensive AND the bank charges for currency conversion are too high to justify it. Even if only for 6 months of the year.

@rhorn

12 Likes

They definitely decided to pile on and kick everyone while they were down.

5 Likes

That’s interesting. I might check it out in that case. Like everyone in the UK, money is tight at the moment.

2 Likes

Don’t think this forum is the place for discussions on geopolitics/economy, but you really shouldn’t be paying high currency conversion fees these days. There are so many options like Revolut, Wise, etc.

2 Likes