Do deep dives in the podcast find you fast forwarding?

There are deep dives, and then there is beating a dead horse for an hour.

5 Likes

Like @AJS914 I was interested in the cadence topic but not with the choking one.

I suppose in the case of the latter it’s a psychological topic not a physiological one so is, in the context of TR podcasts, a fresh subject - go back through the podcasts and there’s probably three or four deep dives on sweet spot work or what happens in VO2max intervals. Interesting to see over time how the science (may have) changed or not, but having a deep dive on those subjects every three months is going to lead to a stale podcast.

I listen to the majority of the deep dives, it’s only the ones I have zero interest in which I’ll fast forward through. But it doesn’t bother me as that’s what the fast forward button is for :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some topics I don’t mind, others I find there’s some superfluous (for me) information. I can see why some people love all the details though.

Same, I certainly am not going to ask them to change it as plenty of people enjoy that content - the podcast isn’t made exclusively for me.

Episode 285

Amber: I’m going to need a snorkel for this deep dive on cadence

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Yep. I’m there for the life, training, and race updates, and the questions about how to train and how to best use the software and the tools. The deep dives lose me almost every time.

Just the ones I have no interest in listening to, otherwise I’ll listen to the whole dive.

I think of Nate as the plucky comic relief.

1 Like

Yes, far too much like a lecture for my liking.

Like others who have commented here I value the deep dives and in particular the commentary from Chad and Amber, with their research and data-driven focus. Where I lose patience and interest is in the 20 minutes or more of discussion about Cape Epic, latest injuries, latest FTP test, etc. A bit of this is a nice touch, the podcast team is a likeable group but it’s just not nearly as interesting or useful to me as the deep dives into some aspect of training, performance, etc.

2 Likes

Fast forwarding, to what? A discussion on MTB technique without visuals…

Seems us ‘consumers’ are never happy with anything, even when it’s free.

The deep dives from Chad are the most valuable aspect of the podcast to me.

Please continue them.

2 Likes

Start to listen the podcast/youtube channel before become a TR user myself.
Absolutely love all aspects of the AACC podcast!
Keep up the superb work, team TR
Cheers,

1 Like

Sometimes, is the short answer. I generally want stuff I can take away and implement, and I like the real-world stories. Too much theory isn’t my bag. That said, I recognise the value some people may find in them and I recognise also that some people find the detailed physiological processes (for example) genuinely interesting. To each their own.

This is interesting. What I like is how they can bring the data back to the real world. This past week had two major deep dives.

• Cadence efficiency
  • Choking

Both were topics I was interested in but they were very different. Chad took on the cadence talk and there was so much data and so many studies, I got lost. I needed that anecdotal data to bring things out of the lab and back into the real world. I listed to the discussion twice and I’m still not sure if I should pedal fast or slow! :slight_smile:

Amber took the lead on the choking discussion. She had many examples of how the science played out in her real world. That helped me a lot. (Now, the amount of times she said “autonomic nervous system” might have gotten out of hand, but the presentation coupled with “this is how it manifests in the real world” made a huge difference for me.

I also like how Nate will jump in with a real world example that doesn’t match the “study” at all and try to figure out is the data relates.

I guess my brain just can’t handle the straight science. :smiley:

4 Likes

Yep they have me fast forwarding or tuning out most of the time. I guess it all depends on what you’re interested in. If it a topic you like you’ll probably love the deep dive. If it isn’t you’ll be annoyed they did a deep dive on it.

On this last one the cadence info was interesting but I was looking for a bit more personally on a different aspect of the topic. Training at lower cadences forces your faster twitch fibers to work aerobically from my understanding. So an athlete with a higher percentage of those fibers might want to train at lower cadences in the tempo to SST range to force these fibers to work more like slow twitch, thereby increasing their FTP and muscular endurance for longer efforts. This will decrease their VLAMAX and impact their sprint ability, but depending on the type of racing, and where their VLAMAX is that might be the goal.
Would love to see that covered at some point. My point is that there is more to cadence than just the type of racing you plan on doing or gross efficiency during the effort. I think a much larger opportunity is understanding how that cadence effects your training.

As soon as they hit the Amber section I just turned it off about 30s in to it. I could care less about that topic, but to someone else it may have been awesome.

Definitely some people like them and some dont, and it’s totally dependant on your interests. It’s hurting no one that you are fast forwarding thru it, but if they just skipped them then people would miss out on the info. Then what would be the point in listening to the podcast. All the small talk?

1 Like

I find the scientific side of the discussion interesting and have ended up buying many of the books Chad references to read in more detail, must reads (and I mean life and lifestyle changing) are:

1. Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker
  2. The Obesity Code by Jason Fung
  3. How Bad do You Want It by Matt Fitzgerald
  4. Nutrient Timing by John Ivy
    And a few more.

As a result I’ve kinda ditched the podcast as I’ve found on recent listen it retraces old ground

Ahaha, so true. In my case I tried three times and still have that doubt :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yes I either fast forward or stop listening as i feel more than capable of searching google or books as chad seems to do. Plus I dont race or ride a mountain bike so that’s probably 80% of them of no interest to me.

1 Like