Dirty Kanza 2020 Lottery

I’m in this year for the 200! I hope to get some redemption for my earlier race which had a rear tire that cut, leaked, punctured, and finally ran over a nail for a total of nine flats.
My friends at Yonder journal made a great documentary about that year:
https://mythicalstateof.com/project-y/
And to add to the is the course techy questions. It wasn’t too bad that year, but I was surprised at the beginning when a bunch of the fast dudes in the lead group hopped off at the first water crossing that was only 3" deep! It’s much easier to cut tires when they are wet and you can’t see the rocks in the stream bed.
Later in the race it’s easier to pick your line.
I saw a lot of people fixing flats on the climbs on the backside of stream crossings.
Hahn Rossman

1 Like

9 flats! that’s crazy!

1 Like

I signed up for a double dorm room. There’s only 1 of me.

Do you need a room?
Are you (relatively) normal and not a creeper?
Are you willing to share a room with a relatively normal dude that’s not a creeper?
Are you willing to split the cost of the dorm room?
Are you a paying TR user?

If so: Follow me on IG and send me a DM. LMK a little about yourself, where you’re coming from, etc. We can figure out if this will work.

I’d like to keep this folks currently signed up for TR. Keep it “in the family” so to speak.

Mods, if this post is not kosher. LMK.

1 Like

My right pec was sore from all that pumping! I was especially annoyed at the rusty nail I picked up in the last 10 miles, since up til then I claimed you couldn’t puncture that way on gravel. Live and learn.
Hahn Rossman
rossmancycles.com

@Nate_Pearson, great decision. I’m sure you would have rocked DK, but priorities.

You can’t separate my spirit from those gravel roads. :wink: I learned to ride my bike on that gravel!

Although I’ll be doing 24 in the Canyon a few days before. So it may well be true that ‘in Spirit’ is the only capacity I’ll be available at all.

Shite. I got in. I have to decide on what to do now - defer and have more time to prepare or go for it and train like a madwoman in 4 months… Are we using the other thread (link below) for race and training or using the previous started thread? I’m going to need all the moral support that my TR subscription can buy!

3 Likes

My condolences. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Have you not been doing any training up to this point?

I have been doing TR low volume since November. I ride or train year round. Unfortunately I had some life happen that took me out for parts of August-October. I’m not terribly worried about base. It’s updating all of my plans to get way more miles than had planned (original season included 50ish mile RRs and Triple Bypass) and ahelluva lot more gravel time. :woman_shrugging:

sounds like you’ll be fine IMO. 4 months is plenty of time IMO for somebody who trains years round even if you lost a few months. I train year round but have a lull in big races between october/november - january. I do some more strength training during that time and still do some riding just shorter. I’ve got a couple 100 mile gravel events coming up at end of february which will really kick me into full on DK training

1 Like

Where are those? Probably FL giving your username!

that damn username. lol I moved away from there but can’t change my username. I have a 100 mile

one of them is Feb 22nd. Called The Burner
https://www.ordinaryepics.com/ms-gravel-cup#thecourse

the following weekend is swamp fox gravel fondo. This one I’ve done before.
https://www.facebook.com/swampfoxgravelfondo/

1 Like

Our children are of more value than many DK. :smile:

i vote for training like a madwoman. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t get a slot for last year until well into March (got talked into a transfer) and still managed to get in plenty of miles.

4 months is plenty of time…you’ll do great!

2 Likes

I didn’t ride more than 10 times after DK last year through to January. I picked back up MV The first week of January. I’m not too worried about fitness.

At the end of the day… You’re in… You’re going…whatever fitness you have on the day is all you can work with. No worries.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m going for it.

2 Likes

Flint? Oh boy. A lot can happen. I ride a lot in Denmark where there is a lot of flint. Flint on pavement (and rain) is bad news. Good thing this one is dirty. I had bad luck once where flint cut an inch gash in the sidewall.

One of these in your jersy pocket might very well save your ride:

Yep. I definitely have those