Different types of workouts after FTP test with Adaptive Training

I’ve been using Adaptive training and am a big fan. It makes sense to me that if your FTP increases, then easier workouts should be prescribed so they are doable relative to the new FTP. However, I’ve noticed that, at least for some training zones, an FTP bump changes the type of workouts in your progression. Here’s an example from my training:

I started a build phase with an FTP of 270, and did lots of VO2max workouts, almost all of which were some form of short-shorts, with 15-30s efforts. With adaptive training I worked my way up to a 6.6 progression level at the end of the first training block. Looking ahead at my plan, the next block had me doing longer VO2max efforts, around 2-3.5min. (That makes sense to me; now that I’ve worked through short efforts, I should work on extending them). Like all training blocks, I started with a ramp test, and bumped my FTP to 290. Understandably, this big jump put my progression levels way back down, and my VO2max level is now 2.7. However, when adaptive training altered my workouts to match my new progression levels, all the VO2max workouts are back to being short-shorts! Upon further investigation, there are no VO2max workouts with 2-3min efforts and a level under ~5.5. I know I should have easier workouts with a higher FTP, but shouldn’t I stick with the progression to longer VO2max efforts? Should I not have taken an FTP test? Has anyone else dealt with this and have opinions/solutions?

1 Like

Just to let you know, i’ve read your post and i understand the question but i’m affraid to give an answer because i’m not sure.

My gut says let AT do it’s thing, it may adapt into different workouts once you start to nail some of the ones in schedule right now. But that’s just my best bet and what i would try first personally. If you want to be sure i suppose you could contact support.

1 Like

You could try one of the 2-3 minute VO2 workouts and see what happens. If you’re successful AT will see that and adjust. If you aren’t then at least you’ve got your answer.

My opinion is that I prefer the workouts from the middle of the PL distribution and above; they tend to be simpler.

1 Like

Use workout alternative, choose the workout that is stretch or breakthrough for you and rip them. If you are successful AT will adapt.

1 Like