Desktop App won't sync and very slow to load

Whenever I launch the TrainerRoad application on Windows 10 I get a blank window and a little red spinner for at least 3-4 minutes. Is this ever going to get fixed? Couldn’t you launch the UI and refresh the calendar, workouts, etc… in the background?

Would you mind reporting this bug to our Support Team at support@trainerroad.com? This is not normal behavior, and we definitely want to get eyes on this issue as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Done!

1 Like

Has anyone managed to solve the problem of the desktop app slow to sync in Windows 10? Mine takes around 10 minutes to sync. I’ve contacted support about it and received numerous suggestions from several really helpful advisors. However, none have succeeded in solving matters. Is a 10 minute sync really as good as I can expect?

I contacted support about exactly this issue this week, and then when I did my workout on Thursday it synced straight away… I didn’t do anything differently and as far as I know support didn’t do anything at their end, so all I can assume is that I was lucky this time.

I’ll see what happens with my rides over weekend and update if anything changes.

Here are the suggestions I’ve received so far. Some of you may find one or more of them useful.

1. Delete TrainerRoad AppData on Windows:
  • Open the Windows explorer, and insert %localappdata% into the search bar
  • Scroll down until you find a folder name TrainerRoadData
  • Right-click that folder and select “delete”
  • Empty the Recycle Bin
    A new folder will be generated automatically the next time you open up the TrainerRoad app and the software will sync anything that was stored on the server.

This worked initially and syncing took less than a minute. However, within a week or two it was back to around 10 minutes to sync. It’s also a bit of a nuclear option since it deletes all your favourite workouts and paired devices.

1. Maintain a strong, stable internet connection as this is the only way data can sync from app to website. Also, disconnect and reconnect your laptop / PC from the internet, and unplug your router for 30 seconds.

2. Log out of the app after using it.

3. Don’t log out of the app after using it (!)

4. Don’t leave the app open when shutting down your laptop / PC.

5. Ensure the app and Windows are both up to date with the latest updates.

6. Try restarting the computer if you haven’t restarted it for a while. This might sound a little bit rudimentary, but we have found that if a computer is usually left on sleep, or isn’t fully shut down when we’re done using it, syncing issues can occur in our app. I would recommend that you give the computer a quick restart if you haven’t restarted it for a while, and then see if the in-app Calendar loads more quickly for you.

7. Try running TrainerRoad in “Administrator Mode”. It also wouldn’t hurt for us to have you try running TrainerRoad in Administrator Mode. This will ensure our app has all the permissions it needs to read/write its data files, and I wonder if this might also give it permission to use more networking resources (just a thought, it might not make a difference). We can have TrainerRoad run in Administrator Mode by right-clicking the executable, and then clicking “Run as Administrator.”

8. Make sure you close out of any other background apps, as well as temporarily pause any anti-virus software when we boot up TrainerRoad. This will further ensure TrainerRoad has access to the most system resources. In the past, we have seen some anti-virus software interfere with our app, and if you run any, such as Norton or AVG, I would recommend temporarily disabling these for the sake of troubleshooting, just to see if we get any better performance.

9. Instead of making Calendar edits online, would it be possible to have you do all of this from within the app itself? From there, all of your edits and changes will always be in the same place, and you wouldn’t need to wait for the Calendar to sync, or have the possibility of missing data. Additionally of course - when you want to analyze your rides, you will analyze these on our website - we will just keep your Calendar experience exclusive to the app.

1 Like

Hi

Got the new version last night and today tried to update my plan and move my A race each time I go thought the steps and at the end I get the red bar if shame “server error”… tried a few times same result

Still love the product

temporarily pause any anti-virus software when we boot up TrainerRoad

This is the only solution that works for me. Seems like something TR might want to work with users to troubleshoot. Most AV software has the ability to set “excluded” directories, and it’s likely that given the correct directory it would be fixed.

1 Like

Didn’t work for me I’m afraid :disappointed:

I am having the same issue with my workouts not syncing. Not able to download them either. Tried restarting pc etc no joy

Please shoot our Support Team an email at support@trainerroad.com so that we can help get this resolved as soon as possible :+1:.

Same here, the download is extremely slow. Also tried the beta but i guess the beta is hosted on the same server. Any other mirros available or direct FTP link?

Sorry for the trouble, it definitely shouldn’t be difficult to download the app!
We’re here to help, can you clarify:

• Are you trying to download to Windows or Mac desktop app?
  • Are you connected to a solid wifi signal?
  • Does the download get to a certain point then stop?
  • If so, do you have any antivirus running? Disable if so, as some antivirus programs may stop the download when the app isn’t from the app store.

From there, depending upon whether you’re trying to download Windows or Mac, we can give some more targeted advice to help get you going!

Hi, I tried to download windows binaries. Normal and beta.

I als tried the dmg, but same behaviour.
It’s hosted anyway on the (probably very slow) same Microsoft blob storage. Guess it’s azure?

We tested this out internally, and we aren’t having issues downloading the desktop app on Mac or Windows. Therefore, it sounds like this stems from something specific to your setup/ environment. It may be the same reason the website is taking a while to load, as you reported yesterday. I just shot you an email so that we can dig into this and get to the bottom of it together!