Delta G ketone ester self testing

Does anyone have any experience with Delta G ketone esters? I always get excited to test new things on myself and see new products with the potential to improve performance, but ketone esters are certainly a big gray box. I was listening to @brendanhousler and his experience. Just got my first two bottles to test. He was saying we might only need a half a bottle or so to start seeing benefits, but am curious about others experience and protocols before I use my servings. They’re certainly cost prohibitive so I want to nail my n=1 test protocol before I start.

Planning on the following ~2hr ride to test subjective feeling for first bottle:

45 minute ride at 65% followed by 2x20 @ 92%, and 2x60” all out sprints 5 min recovery.

After each interval: “how did you feel at the start, middle, finish, and ready for next interval?” On a scale of 1-10. 1 being no, 10 being “I don’t need to rest”

NO ESTER: 75g carb/hr
10g ESTER: 15 min before with a sip of carb drink mix, continue 75g carb/hr
15g Ester

Second bottle: 75 minute ish workout. More intense repeatability
15 minute @ 65%
2x30 second sprints w/ 5 min recovery.
5 minutes @ 105%, 10 min recovery.
12x40/20’s all out

No Ester, 10g Ester, 15g Ester.

What do y’all think? By putting the hard work at the end that should elicit the purported sustainable energy ketones advertise. Subjective survey will illuminate my n=1 experience.

1 Like

How did it go with your testing?. I’m curious about this because of a long upcoming race.

Why no replies?

I tried it. Didn’t feel the extra gear. Not sure if the dose is too small but I’m gonna do one more 25g dose with:

2 sets, 30 mins @ 90% followed with 3x30”/30” all out, 5 min recovery

One with one without delta g.

1 Like

You probably need to test doing that 30min after 4 hours of endurance

1 Like

Maybe two but that’s a good idea. I usually don’t do 4 hours on the reg :grimacing:

1 Like

I tried Delta G tactical my last race (2 weeks ago). I was advised to take one bottle 20mins before with carbs and a second bottle 2 hours in (3:41 hour race). This race was at the end of week 7 HV Build for me. I felt good off the line particularly with all the fatigue I was bringing in. All was going great and I was still with the front pack 15 minutes in but unfortunately I crashed which resulted in a broken rib, cracked helmet and road rash from ankle to shoulder. However, I did finish the almost 3:30 hours remaining in the race! I felt better than the previous 2 races but nothing definitive.

I’ll try it again this weekend with the same protocol however I’m only 2 weeks past my injuries so I’m very much still healing.

3 Likes

Question is how do we go about controlling for normal good performance or placebo.

Hope you heal quickly. Last time I broke a rib I was in pain sleeping for 8-10 weeks.

1 Like

Wow, I’m 12 days post injury and sleep is already back to normal. Was horrible for the first week then better each day.

3 Likes

I think you’re on target with how you’re trying to test. If you glance at this paper you can see that the idea was to ingest the ester before and during exercise in the hopes that the fuel prevents the glycogen depletion and then preserves the glycogen for high intensity exercise thereafter. But it didn’t really work for us and super variable results. This was with 1,3-Butanediol and not Delta G which would in theory be better.

I think how most people are thinking these benefit however is taken over prolonged periods and for recovery. Cost prohibitive currently but signs that they enhance adaptation during heavy periods of training like you were under.