Deals / Sales / Discounts for Cycling "Stuff" (2023)

ZWIFT HUB CHALLENGE - Strava Challenges?

Anyone still shopping for a deal on a trainer? This seems like a slam dunk for a backup or partner trainer.

2 Likes

Lauf has 20% off their True Grit gravel bike

https://www.laufcycling.com/

5 Likes

$2300 for a complete bike w/ the Lauf fork and Rival mechanical is a pretty damn good deal.

4 Likes

Agree. I’ve had that model for 3-4 years now. Works great. As much as I try to justify upgrading to the Seigla the True Grit does everything I need it to do.

I took a hard look at a Lauf in 2021…but ultimately the BB was too high for what I wanted in a gravel bike. It is a full CM higher than the Aspero I eventually bought, and ~4mm higher than my previous Crux.

1 Like

I don’t think I’m that sensitive to changes like that from bike to bike. Id have to ride them back to back I think. But I get it’s important for some.

I like the tire clearance on the Seigla primarily for muddy conditions. I can fit 45s on the true grit but it’s a little close in the back when it gets muddy. But that would mostly be a scenario of concern if I’m forced to ride in muddy conditions for a race.

I really like the smoothie bars that come with the bike. My only complaint is I’d prefer a shallow drop on them. I think the drop is like 125mm which is fairly normal but for gravel I’m not looking to get low so much I’m looking for a different position that’s slightly lower that I can hold easily for a long time.

1 Like

I am curious if anyone here has ever bought a second trainer purely as a backup.

1 Like

raises hand

I recognize I am probably a fringe case at the end of the edge cases, but I did just this. Anyone who’s seen the litany of trainer issues over the years might have a level of nervousness that a dead trainer could lead to training interruption.

My first backup was just my old Road Machine, but I just kept it vs the many others I’ve seen that sell or give away their old one and have a single trainer on hand. My tendency to collect and test lead me to getting more smart trainer for experimentation, but also backup use. I’ve used them for fitting needs, but also when local friends had issues and/or wanted to test something.

1 Like

Absolutely no judgement. Especially I am now actually considering something like this since I just got my $50 Zwift Hub coupon. :laughing:

3 Likes

Yeah, that amounts to a 10% discount that takes an already affordable trainer into nearly “cheap” territory.

1 Like

I went from a Cycleops Fluid 2 trainer to an Elite Direto to Kickr bike.

I still have the cycleops and elite direto because I won’t get much on fb marketplace for them. The direto I replaced the belt and even though it works fine people are turned off but a perceived flaw. Both trainers are 5+ years old.

So I didn’t go out to buy a backup I ended up with backups

3 Likes

Yeah, I see that as more likely among our masses.

4 Likes

Chad I am dealing with that right now on my H2. It appears to have a clunk every other pedal stroke. Its cold out so I cant ride outside. Im in them middle of a training block, taking it apart with hopes of fixing it means it might not work for the next days training. Leads me to the possibility i need a new trainer and move this one to back up roll.

1 Like

its VERY close to discretionary expense territory…
I think 399 would be an absolute… why the fuck no.

2 Likes

I assume that there are always cheaper trainers that are getting better over time so I don’t think about backups. In the last 4 years, I’ve gone from Road Machine to Saris H3 to Stages SB20,

2 Likes

Like others, I have kept my last road machine. Figure it is more valuable to me than the $75 I could selling it. Have it for backup and travel.

3 Likes

I had the Saris H1 and it was rock solid but when the deal for the H3 came around a few months back, it was too good to pass up, so now I have an H1 and an H3.

2 Likes

I ended up selling my 2 kickrs for around $750 total. I have a fluid trainer tucked away in the garage, but I’ll probably give it to someone who wants to dip their toes into indoor training.

In Kickr Bike I Trust, apparently :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Bought a new Kickr v5 and was looking to sell my old Snap but with the price they’re going for used it just wasn’t worth it. Might as well let it sit in a corner of my basement in the event I need it for a backup.

Glad I’m not alone (and going cheaper with it than most) makes me feel better about the decision. :laughing:

2 Likes

I had a 2017 wahoo kickr and bought a 2018 kickr at a REI used gear sale. Ok, not really buying as a backup but didn’t really need to replace my 2017 as it was working fine (after already getting it repaired once and without the trainer for two weeks from that). The 2018 with $400 as it had a noise issue which I knew was the known issue (Wahoo CEO Details Fixes for Issues Surrounding KICKR 2018 & KICKR CORE | DC Rainmaker) so seemed worth it. The decrease in noise is nice and it does feel slightly better. The newer kickr then broke in 2020 so used the 2017 as backup while it was being swapped out.

1 Like