Dare2Ride Fuego 1.0 trainer?

Hello fellow Trainerroaders!
Hade anyone used or uses the trainer Dare2ride fuego 1.0?
How is it?

https://dare2ride.com/

My quick take from what I seeā€¦

• Ticks all the boxes we expect: ANT+ FE-C. BLE (no FTMS listed thoughā€¦). Quiet. Native thru-axle.

• It looks almost identical to the JetBlack VOLT.

• On paper they claim better accuracy than the VOLT (2% vs 2.5%) and a heavier flywheel. (On paper specs donā€™t mean a lot).

• The zebra flywheel sticker and optical speed sensor is the same design and position as the 2014 Kickr (and a few cheaper trainers).

• No cassette supplied.

• ā€œZero calibration is needed to get you in the saddle and training quicker than ever.ā€ - This is interesting. No spindown required? No calibration? If this is the case itā€™s a massive ā€˜hero featureā€™ theyā€™re not talking about enough. It took Wahoo years to get to this point for a direct drive trainer with a beltā€¦

• Options for SRAM XDR freehub.

• Priceā€¦ā‚¬749.95. Seems expensive. I donā€™t see anything on the spec sheet that stands out above and beyond something like the Kickr CORE (ā‚¬699.99) or similar trainers from Eliteā€¦

• Deeper/other/misc observations: Calling ā€œ1.0ā€ isnā€™t ideal. Their firmware update looks to be a pretty raw process binary names nrf5283* etc all should be hidden away from the user and done within a mobile app.

Conclusion: Without any hands-on tests or feedback from owners itā€™d be a risk putting money down for this. Itā€™s hovering at the same price point and specs as other well known/well tested unitsā€¦ without being well known or well tested. :man_shrugging:t2:

18 Likes

Iā€™ve bought this one for Ā±500 dollar on a german website. Itā€™s pretty accurate but the app is a mess.
You can keep pushing the same update over and over again. It has no cadence.
But besides that it does the job. Wouldnā€™t spend more than 500 on it. No updates on the facebook page in two months.
Iā€™ve compared it with multiple pms btw, the no calibration needed seems to be true.

1 Like

Bought mine two weeks ago at a flash sale and also found a 10% discount code so I payed around 470 dollars. Worked fine last week but today it stoped working in several ways.
(ALL FIRMWARE ARE UP TO DATE)

Note. Iā€™ve been a a Trainerroad user for years but right now Iā€™m running Zwift.

Fuego worked fine last week but today it stoped working. It might be ā€œmeā€ but i really trying to do things the right way.

Problem: In race mode and free riding there is no resistance what som ever! I can get like 25W max cause there is no resistance. Work out mode still works but not free riding and raceā€™s.

And although the text in the product page says you have to install a cassette separately there is a cassette included int the box.

As long as it ā€œworksā€, I think its a quite good trainer for its price.

Forgot about my thread here :see_no_evil::blush:

I ended up getting a Kickr Core.
Sale with discount code thru my work.

Hello again.
Today I did a Zwift 40/20 workout without any problem and after that a Zwift race and today it actually worked out quite alright . I used the Fuego as a controllable trainer and the Assioma pedals as the power meter. Donā€™t now if that made it work? Yesterday I used the Fuego as the Power meter. Although I would like to have a much higher base line resistance. Now Iā€™m running 55/42 in the front and 11-28 int the back and I feel like Iā€™m out of gears in the sprint.

Iā€™ve recently purchased one of these, cheap option to get going in pain cave.
First impressions arenā€™t great.
It did connect and display cadence on first ride, canā€™t connect it now though.
As spinning out at inclines 10%+ I carried out a firmware update (after many attempts), no cadence and although I never managed to get to a 10% incline on the Alpe to test it I can say on the KOM it didnā€™t inspire confidence. Iā€™ll be testing it again tomorrow and if not happy itā€™s being returned, will have to get another Kickr although Iā€™m loathed to as Wahoo have screwed me over on a warranty issue with another unit.
Tip, donā€™t buy an expensive trainer from a non valid third party, a lot of them fail and if youā€™re not the first buyer youā€™re fkd!

As noted by Lama, this clearly looks like a rebrand of the JetBlack Volt (every bit of case is the same): JetBlack VOLT Smart Trainer In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker

Given the sellerā€™s official company/brand is listed as an importer business in the Netherlands (Sport Import Europe BV), that would seem to fit the bill.

Iā€™d be curious, if someone has one, to connect up a Garmin device as ANT+, and see what the ANT+ Manufacturer ID shows as (under info, after pairing a sensor). I donā€™t see this brand listed in the ANT+ Directory (which doesnā€™t mean anything right after launch, as thereā€™s often a few month delay), but the manuf ID would tell us who actually makes it.

2 Likes

Is the ANT+ manufacturer ID visible in a zwift log? Or any other program?
Otherwise Iā€™ll pair it to my 830 and give you the info later this week :slight_smile:

Zwift doesnā€™t seem to log the manuf ID in the client-side logs. That said, I know it very much logs it in the server side logs, because this is how they caught two cheaters that got bans. :slight_smile:

The only other tool I know of off the top of my head is the ANT+ Simulator, but downloading that requires a login (free, but nonetheless).

Man this device is a mess, canā€™t connect it to my garmin headunit. It works with zwift atm and I wonā€™t touch it. Already regret my purchase ā€¦ Itā€™s visually the same as the Jetblack Volt, itā€™s pure firmware based the issues that Iā€™m havingā€¦

Any news on this one?
Maybe a firm test upcoming DCRainmaker or GPLama?

Info at Garmin Forerunner 945 (german):

ID: 36848
Techn.: ANT+
Mod.nr.: 21845
Her.nr.: 43690
Ser.nr.: 12345678
SW-V.: 17.00

So when a sensor is connected, from the sensors menu, it should show either a Manuf ID (1-3 digits long), or, in the case of a Garmin sensor, itā€™ll just say Garmin.

I took some pictures. Maybe it is helpful.

Maybe it is a rebrand of the Xplova Nova (not S): xplova - support If you compare the handbook, it is the same specs and looks the same.

Hi there, I am training on the Fuego 1.0 for more than 6 months now. I bought it for 749,ā€“, got frustated with my wahoo kickr of 1150,-- that I couldnt get a stable ANT+ connection on my laptop. Also I had a constant 35-40 watt difference (lower) with my RotorINpower meter. I like the Fuego better, I have a clean connection, +/- 5 watt difference with my INpower meter, it is more stable and more quiteā€¦ With the wahoo my wife complained of the noise I made during training, that is now resolvedā€¦So I am very happy with it!

1 Like

Interesting, three new accounts specifically made to post positive reviews about a productā€¦ Something fishy going on.

5 Likes

lol yeah. Not suspicious at all

1 Like

Whatā€™s interesting is that all three are basically either real-life or historical Dutch cyclist/triathlete figures, as names. Itā€™s lazy promotion at best, and fake at worst.

And itā€™s funny, cause when I see laziness like this without being transparent, itā€™s often a superb indicator that the product and/or company leadership isnā€™t trustworthy either.

Just my two centsā€¦

5 Likes