Cycling groups in houston?

Just moved to Houston for a 3 month clinical rotation, any cycling groups around the heights area? If so, do they allow tri bikes? I could only bring one bike with me :confused:

Ask the local bike shops, I’m pretty sure they have regular group rides

Our local site for ride listings is: Login - Chasing Watts!. Most of the local group rides and events get listed here.

I live in Sugar Land, but shops in your area that I know are associated with racing include the following. If you reach out to them, they can either hook you up with group rides or recommend teams in the area.

http://shamacycles.com/ (Phillip Shama is the owner and rides all the time)

Bike Barn on Weslayan also organizes alot of rides and isn’t too far from there.

1 Like

If you’re in the Heights there’s Sunday morning group rides starting at Antidote, and one also starting at Blue Line - both are in the Heights. I use Chasing Watts too to see if there’s any near me if I don’t feel like riding indoors.

1 Like

Hi TR guys!

I am looking to be in Houston (from Sydney) for a month in June, 22. Looking to bring the bike and be able to train in the mornings and weekends (a few crit races would be fun as well).

Following on from this thread, Does anyone know cycling clubs close to the CBD area that train during the week?

In the past, the most popular (and safest) place to ride downtown during the work week was the Fruit Loop at Memorial Park. I don’t live in town any more, so I’d reach out to the shops in the downtown area for more recent info. The shops we mentioned above, as well as Chasing Watts are all still relevant info. Hopefully someone closer to the CBD will respond.

1 Like

Thanks Pbase!

1 Like

how do i filter in chasing watts? Like i want to search for Houston ?

Hmmm. Not sure what you’re seeing, but here’s what I see

1 Like

I’m going to be in Houston next week for business and I’m wondering whether it’ll be worth it to rent a bike and ride in the area or just stick to the hotel gym. My days are going to be pretty busy so it’ll take some effort to get out on the roads, which I’m willing to do if the riding is good but if it’s just so-so, I’ll probably take the more convenient route and stick to the gym. Any input from people familiar with the area will be appreciated. Thanks!

Which part of Houston?

1 Like

And what kind of riding?

I’ll be in town for CERAWeek at the Convention Center and will be staying nearby. I’m mostly a road cyclist but also do a bit of XC.

Downtown isn’t the best place for weekday road riding, but you will be very close to Memorial Park where you can do some MTB if you want. It’s mostly blue due to roots, but there are a few light drops. I haven’t been there in a long time because i prefer our trails in Sugar Land, which is 30 mins south of downtown, so I can’t give an accurate current report. Mountain Bike Trails near Memorial Park

There is also a short 1 mile road loop there where people will race, but personally, I wouldn’t bring a road bike just for that. The Memorial Park Loop - A bike ride in Houston, Texas

1 Like

What are your thoughts @unmountain_biker ? Just curious if you have different advice?

Best Houston ride source going.

If you’re looking for a group ride

That’s solid advice for weekdays downtown.

1 Like