Cream Of Wheat and other oat alternatives

iHerb is great go to! They have Bobs Mill Creamy Wheat.
I frequently get goodies on there, postage is kinda long sometimes, but worth the wait! :ok_hand:

Just bought some Cream of a rice for the first time. I do find that it digests easily but 100g of cream of rice is A LOT of food to try and get down.

Still undecided if it’s my race day breakfast or not

1 Like

Watching an older podcast, and this came up. Tbh I’ve still no idea what cream of wheat is…! :stuck_out_tongue:

Cream of Wheat is a breakfast porridge. It’s made from wheat semolina.

I grew up eating Cream of Wheat on cold mornings or after playing in the snow…my mom would make it for us, add some brown sugar and a splash of milk on top.

My usual breakfast is crappy cereal…after hearing @Nate_Pearson talk about Cream of Whear, I went out and got some. Not only is it a better option for me, it let’s me think abiut my mom (who passed away in 2006) every morning.

Bowl of Cream of Whear, still with the brown sugar (although less), a handful of blueberries, half a banana and a little milk. Delicious!!

Thanks, Nate!!:facepunch:t2:

5 Likes

Grits or cream of rice.

I have this dream that I create a race series and I have huge pots of grits and cream of rice before the race with a huge toppings island to make it sweet or savory.

You can also pre-pay and sign up for a post ride recovery smoothie (you pick the ingredients).

Once you cross the timing mat the smoothie chefs start your order and get it to you within 2 mins of finishing.

A guy can dream…

7 Likes

Indoor series at the Smoothie King Center

1 Like

Thanks. So where I am this is Weizengrieß.

I worry like crazy about my stomach and it’s ability to process things, but I would like to give it a try.

See if you can find a rice based alternative. It works much better for me.

1 Like

Is there a difference between “Cream of Rice” and “Rice Pudding”, bar the only book I have with creamed rice* has it stove top rather than the oven (and the big knob of butter and nutmeg). Just asking, as in Ireland and the UK, you can buy (including low fat) Rice Puddings in tins/ portion packs etc.

*“Sean’s Creamed Rice” from the Danial Davy “Eat Up Raise You Game” recipe book.

Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, steel cut oats, or if you can get it where you are, Red River Cereal (a mix of grains and seeds).

I usually grab a bunch of whatever happens to be in the pantry leftover from baking) including nuts, usually almonds or pecans, dates, cranberries, apricots, and usually some shredded coconut. If I have gotten to it, I grind hemp and chia to a flour and add a couple of tablespoon but you have to watch because it will thicken into a glue really quick. Mix it with water, milk or almond milk.

My wife loves them but I just can get over the consistency of overnight oats.

Maybe Spelt porridge. Spelt is easier to digest than wheat.

As others have said cream of wheat = semolina

Also can do
rice pudding,
White rice,
Toast and jam/Nutella/peanut butter and bananas
oats blended down to a powder to make them easier to digest (my go to),
mashed potatoes,
Energy bars eg cliff bars, snickers etc (I do this if I’m travelling to a race and may not have cooking facilities)
Low fibre cereal like rice crispies or cornflakes (lots)

Dairy seems to increase the chance that I get stomach cramps during a race. I also have issues with fibre so blended oats (quick cook, ready break or my regular oats blended). cooked with water is my favourite low risk option

White rice with maple syrup… I don’t know why anyone would eat anything else than this… haha. Well that’s my go to. Low fiber, super high carb, easy to digest, no dairy, can eat it hot or cold, can eat it at home, can bring it with you, can make tonnes of it at once, cheap.

Had gut problems my first Ironman… now basically in the days leading up to a race I phase out other food and start to eat more rice and liquid nutrition and I have 0 issues. It’s perfect.

1 Like

Flash backs to early 80’s primary school dinners… :face_vomiting: Youse will be suggesting frogspawn/ tapioca next! :grinning:

I Love Tapioca but I’m maybe not brave enough to try it pre-race :laughing:

1 Like

What about Wheatena?

Rice and maple syrup, sounds like a damn good mix haha, maple syrup is one sweet add-on I can actually tolerate