COVID Vaccine Shots and Training

Moderna Day 4, I’m back to 90%. Went for a chill spin but pushed hard where I needed to and felt mostly fine.

I’ll ramp back towards intervals the following weekend, but overall it wasn’t that bad. Definitely better than getting Covid :slight_smile:

2 Likes

AZ day 7 here and it’s barely effected me so far. I took two rest days and on the first of those I was slightly lethargic but since then I’ve been riding really strongly and my numbers look pretty normal.

I got the Oxford AZ jab Sunday, found it very hard to get to sleep Sunday night but no other symptoms. Yesterday I just felt a bit tired, very mild background headache and a sore arm. Again, found it very hard to get to sleep but no other symptoms. Today I was supposed to do a workout out but when my alarm went off I turned it off immediately and stayed in bed. I’m really tired/lethargic today and can’t really lift my arm but no other symptoms. I’ll see how I feel tomorrow and hopefully train then.

I got the first Biontech jab yesterday. Zero effect on anything, just the usual sore arm. Heading off for a nice (non technical) MTB endurance ride in a few minutes.

1 Like

#2 AZ shot today. Felt ok, done easy aerobic ride. Now it is the evening and I feel a little bit tired than usual. I hope the symptoms will be milder than first shot.

Update: Next morning - some very mild symptoms, a little bit tired - something like very light infection or 1 beer too much. A way better than the first dose :slight_smile:

Update 2: Everything back to normal. Easy endurance ride on the bike, no issues at all.

1 Like

25 Male. Had Pfizer second dose yesterday at Noon. Was especially cautious, as I am now entering taper for my first full Ironman, IM Tulsa in two weeks. Rested well night before, rest day on the day of the shot, hydrated as much as possible. Started feeling a headache about 7pm. Took a tylenol and got to bed early, slept with no alarm and got about 9.5 hrs of really solid sleep. Woke up feeling almost normal, with a bit of head congestion and very sore arm. No change in resting heart rate

Intentionally cancelled my morning swim, took it easy all day, but was feeling antsy. Just finished riding jungbong and felt totally normal.

Looks like I avoided the worst of it :slight_smile:

2nd Moderna yesterday morning. Other than sore injection site, no noticeable side effects. Slept fairly well (normal), and had slightly elevated RHR/lowered HRV in the morning, but that was within typical daily variation, and less than I would see from a hard workout/ride. 49yo male.
Was coming off a long week, so off the bike day before, day of, day after. Likely could have done a moderate workout today without issue.

The not training thing was smart. Wish I had done that and not ended up in a week long hole of fatigue

Update: Ramp test today (Tuesday after getting my second shot last Thursday) tested same FTP as I had before last phase (finished doing SS Base 1).

I’d say this implies I’m essentially back to normal and glad the weird fatigue / intensity feeling I had over the weekend didn’t last.

39M - second Moderna shot yesterday morning. Had some pretty severe brain fog as the day progressed and around dinner time started to feel achy - mostly in my shoulders and neck and developed a headache. Had a worse than normal night’s sleep, resting HR was a tiny bit higher than normal, but well within the variance I’m used to (35 last night, usually 32 or 33). Did an easy endurance ride this morning and saw a bit of a drop in my power:HR ratio, but not too dramatic (2.22 down to 2.18)

Feeling a little achy still and planning to try to sneak in a nap this afternoon

Edit: Felt progressively worse all day the day after the shot, no fever but whole body aches like the flu. Went to sleep early, slept well. Woke up feeling 100%. Did a very easy endurance ride again - power:HR right back to normal at 2.22

Just joined to contribute here as I have found this thread really handy and felt I should share my own experience (longtime TR user and forum lurker…).

Managed to get a Pfizer 1st dose yesterday (M33, UK - local clinic was doing walk ins for over 30s, spent 4 hours waiting in the rain but hopefully worth it…)

Dead arm today and slightly achy muscles, mild chills. Was supposed to be starting a new plan yesterday but obviously didn’t ride as I was busy standing in a queue till mid evening - I’m a bit worried about now being in effectively a 3rd rest week, but from what I have gathered here it is worth pushing it out for now. I just did an easy ride (Colosseum -4) and to be honest I feel much better for it. Probably will do an easy social ride tomorrow. Then maybe do my hard Thursday workout on Friday if am feeling OK.

I had about nine or ten jabs in 2019 for work travel to West Arica (rabies x3, Hep B x3, Hep A, tetanus diptheria and polio combined, and yellow fever) and so far this feels about on a par with my second round of rabies and hep… nowhere near as bad as the yellow fever one…

1 Like

Got my first one this week too, and same more or less. Was a bit tired, but that could just be due to, you know, having to work for a living :smiley:

Thought I was having hallucinations of Mad Max after the second Phizer shot, but turns out that is a real thing I had been blissfully unaware of up to that point.

I didn’t have any real affects other than a sore arm. I had a bit of a headache, likely due to the 2 hour search/wait for gas and resulting condensed afternoon of work. Then I was tired enough the next day to take a nap, but that is regular. Did a wandering 2 hour recovery ride the afternoon of the shot, hit the gym early the next morning and 48 hours later back to regular training ride. Feel pretty lucky.

Anyone on this thread have any neck pain and associated muscle weakness following their vaccine does? I had terrible neck pain after my first dose followed by significant muscle weakness in my right tricep (side I got my shot). Spoken to a few other folks who had similar experiences. Just curious if anyone here also suffered from this/what they did about it?

Things for me are getting better slowly and I am about 5 weeks out from my first shot. No issues with the second one.

My wife had neck pain and a bad headache. She is 36 years old, it was the Pfizer vaccination. I honestly can’t remember I think it was the first dose she had the neck pain.
She mostly just took over-the-counter pain medicine, it lasted for maybe a week with her

No neck pain to speak of, but I definitely had some mild lingering pain near my armpit on the arm I got the shot on. Maybe pain isn’t the correct word, but it’s not any achy soreness either. It’s a sharp uncomfortable feeling that’s lingered for the past week since I’ve gotten my second shot. Pfizer shot for reference.

post_deleted

Moderna for me - and I had pretty significant neck and shoulder aches after the second dose. Whole body aches really, but most prominent in my neck and shoulder area (sort of felt like a headache based in my neck if that makes sense)

Interesting. Pfizer for me. Mine is getting better slowly, but the muscle weakness is very strange. Headache based in the neck is a good way to describe it.

I went to a physio to get it checked out. They diagnosed it as C7 radiculopathy, but none of the traditional PT exercises (chin tucks, nerve flossing etc.) really seemed to help it, so I am back to thinking the shot might be the culprit.

1 Like

Mine resolved about 36 hours after the shot, so nothing comparable to yours in duration