Coolest nickname in cycling?

The latest episode of the podcast got me thinking about the what the coolest nickname in cycling is. We all know about “The Cannibal”, “The Badger” or “The Shark of Messina” —

But I gotta tell you…when Justin Williams called Cory Lockwood “The Cheat Code” - that may have been the coolest one I’ve ever heard. I couldn’t imagine being so good/talented/accomplished at something that an athlete of the level of Justin Williams says riding with you is tantamount to cheating. I loved that!

Ironically, people have given Peter Sagan so many nicknames over the years, but none of them ever seemed to stick.

3 Likes

Lance Armstrong - the goat

:popcorn:

On a more serious note, Nino’s nickname of n1no is pretty cool. As long as he keeps winning!

2 Likes

Simon Yates - Sanguinaccio Volante

3 Likes

“Flying Black Pudding” - :joy::joy::joy:

Never heard that one before

2 Likes

‘The Shark’ Nibali.
Even better when the commentator on EuroSport yells ‘Shark Attack!’ when he attacks in the mountains.

1 Like

Fat boy not silm.

Doctor Teeth

1 Like

Le Blaireau

Alternatively, the funniest was for Andy Schleck…La Guimauve.

I think the goat (greatest of all time) should be reserved for athletes who achieve without cheating :grimacing:

2 Likes

Fred.

Literally all of us :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve been called “A wet blanket” or “Boat anchor”. I think it’s because my talent is so suffocating and I’m tough as steel.

5 Likes

I always liked “The Manx Missile” (Mark Cavendish)

6 Likes

In MTB many of Rob Warner’s creations are gold.

• Flat Pedal Thunder
  • Miami Bryce
  • Redcar Rocket
1 Like

aka Crash Bandicoot.

3 Likes

Marco Pantani “Il Pirata”

1 Like

Fabian Cancellara “Spartacus”

1 Like

Raymond Poulidor “The Eternal Second”

Thumbs up on Spartacus

I’ll add Tony Martin - Der Panzerwagen

Both of those guys did it the way I wish I could do it.

5 Likes

Federico Bahamontes ‘The Eagle of Toledo’

I’ll add Djamolidine Abdoujaparov “The Tashkent Terror” not for his well-deserved nickname.

No, I’m adding Djamolidine Abdoujaparov (three TdF green jerseys and nine stage wins) because his name is the best-ever for a pro cyclist.

Famous finish line crash in Paris: https://youtu.be/oBtCaLYFKjo?t=45

1 Like