Change trainingplan because of COVID-19

Thanks for the reply. The over training risk is the reason I’m going back to a base block. If I stayed the course and stuck with a general build block, I’d be adding volume on top of intensity. Going back to SSB, I’m dialing back the intensity, but able to add volume. We’re talking ~3-5hrs/week, usually added as Z2 riding after the sweet spot workout; so that should be pretty manageable.

I agree regarding the V02 workout. And, longer VO2 efforts have been difficult for me, so adding them in 1x per week to prime that system before the specialty block will be beneficial.

At least that’s what I’m telling myself :crazy_face:

3 Likes

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin

1 Like

Good one! I was about to start my build block tomorrow. Although we all do love TR, I do find a mid volume plan pretty hard if you do it consistently. So I just redo SSBII, add 6 weeks base and see where Corona is. The time autumn is begin October is also long gone anyway. Just extending the saison.

2 Likes

I’m in week six of Sustained Power Build. My original plan was to do Cross Country Marathon from the Speciality phase as that would have led nicely up to one of my ‘A’ events, in fact exactly up to the event as the recovery week ended on the day of the race.

I was first on TR about three years ago and never actually got to do a Speciality phase plan so I might just do it anyway. The alternative is to drop back to base. If I did that then I’d probably do Sweet Spot Mid Volume 2, partly as a bit of variety from having done the Low Volume but also it’s unlikely that I’m going to be able to supplement the LV plan with outdoor Z2 rides at the weekend as I did first time around. Then I’ll pick one of the other Build plans.

If this goes on long enough I’ll try and work my way through all the Build plans, alternating them with either SSB LV or MV pt 2.

2 Likes

Great thread- just what I was looking for. British Cycling Federation have just confirmed all sanctioned events are postponed until 30th June = all my A events out and buys me an extra 6-weeks of training until racing potentially starts again. I’ve just started week 5 of general build (HV) after a not particularly consistent approach to the first 4 weeks due to work. Feel like i’ve lost a bit of focus with all this going on, so planning to go back and do the last 4 weeks of sweetspot base (HV) again as I saw major FTP gains during base this year. BUT planning to switch things up a bit to include some V02 and short power work once a week as this is a major weakness for me.

Anyone else trying this- is it a bad idea to add intensity to the sweetspot plans? Better just to crack on with build?

Other advice I’ve seen is to use the extra time to focus on training a specific weakness but for me that would probably involve jumping straight to a speciality plan.

From what I experienced, I felt more gains in adding (choosing the + workouts e.g.) in the build fase. Base is making me ready for the build and I think the most gains are in the build. The Speciality tops it a bit off, more precise triggers without the overall fatigue.

2 Likes

Plan for the same event happening in September, at the earliest would be my guess.

I actually signed up for the service for the first time because of Covid. I figure that since I’m losing my commute (an hour a day), and my weight room time (at the office) I can definitely spring for the service given how much I’ve enjoyed the YouTube podcasts while basement riding. I was holding out for a week or so, hoping TR would give a signon discount like all the premium streaming and electronic educational services have. Oh well.

I just used plan builder, hoping to be burning hot in late November for CX.

1 Like

Yeah same here, mid volume is hard enough, especially if you just do a few other rides like some gravel, then the weeks can get very tough.

I might actually do it the other way around since I got a gravel bike I might as well just get three good workouts done each week and then more fun on the the gravel.

I’m beginning to wonder about choice of volume and what’s smart given that the virus doesn’t seem to be slowing down much here in the states. I’m supposed to be starting my second week of a mid volume build, but now I’m wondering if hitting my immune system with that level of strain is wise, especially since the virus can hit anyone (some are getting damage to their lungs). Would being cautious be the better choice?

1 Like

It depends.
I would proceed with the plan (starting Build today) as if my A race would take place (not). I’ll work towards a peak anyhow, event or not.
Here (Belgium) we are in quarantaine and I don’t have contacts with other people so risk is rather small. If you still meet people I would go in steady state, or just proceed or back off. I read a lot of people increasing there training load " because there are home", don’t think that is wise.

2 Likes

It’s pretty much derailed my season now, so I’ve decided to look towards some fun events at the end of the year with the hope that they will be on. I think for the time being I am going to train as and when I can, keeps some structure but not follow a plan as such. There’s too many variables with regards to work and life at the moment that I can’t control so rather than adding an extra ‘stressor’ I’m going to take a more relaxed approach to my training. I certainly think that I’ll keep my volume and strain lower than normal at the moment.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be increasing my overall training load, just replacing outdoor load with indoor.

Here in the UK we’ve just (last night) gone into lockdown. At the moment we are allowed one walk, run or bike ride outside the home per day for exercise. There’s no guidance on distance but common sense would dictate that a 15km loop close to home is probably OK but a 100km ride isn’t. I’m fortunate in that I live in a rural location so that 15km loop would only go past a few roadside houses. Even in normal times I’d only expect to see a dozen cars or so.

3 Likes

I reckon so.

I would stick with your current volume, and maybe just add a Petit on one of your rest days. Then the next week add Petit to two of your rest days and so on.

I don’t think anybody could cope with going from LV to HV.

And don’t forget that your mind will be under new stress with potential worry about what might happen next in the world…

3 Likes