Catharsis after Ramp Test?

I almost didn’t post this as I was a little embarrassed at first, but here goes. Had my ramp test today and had something happen at the end that is new to me. As soon as I quit, I burst into uncontrollable tears for a few minutes. I don’t even know if they were happy or sad tears, I just couldn’t stop crying like a baby. I was so overcome with emotion. Has anybody ever experienced something like this?

It was a good ramp test for me, went from 312W to 325W, an all time high for me and closing in on 4W/kg, but not something I’d normally think would cause an emotional reaction like that. Maybe oxygen deprivation or pushing myself so hard that my brain/body started acting funny?

2 Likes

I haven’t on ramp tests, but I have on breakthrough workouts - especially if the final interval coincides with a song on my training playlist that really gees me up. Such a great feeling. I think for me it’s more like a wash of euphoria that can also bring tears (or uncontrollable laughing).

2 Likes

I’ve had similar experiences during the final intervalls particularly hard workouts, nothing wrong with that. I think it’s good to have a good cry from time to time, I allways feel better afterwards.
As to what causes it, it might be a buildup of physical and mental stress that is released when you relax after a really hard effort.

2 Likes