Cannabis Thread (CBD)

You could just ignore this thread.

7 Likes

Please keep this thread going. I havenā€™t ever used any cannabis products but the CBD side of it is interesting.

2 Likes

I try do do that all the time. I was ok with the thread until I read that one post. Normally I click off win I donā€™t agree. tonight I hand an opinion. I am an old man with opinions and I answered an opinion with my own. I state once again. If Iā€™m in the wrong then please plainly tell me and I will leave TrainerRoad.

I am with you on being both pro health and pro research Nate. As far as I can tell, the use of cannabis to alter perception and the use of CBD oil for health are very different things.
Each to their own, but topics about perception altering experiences are going to create triggers for alot of people.
Could a new thread re CBD oil use/research be started? (I donā€™t know enough about it to begin one)

Total disclosure. I vape. I have done for over a year now. I smoked for years before that and I have already started to pay the price for that addiction.

CBD products have gradually started to become popular in the vaping community and quite a few studies are currently underway by reputable international institutions. I donā€™t know anybody who uses CBD but I have read a multitude of online stories/references to the perceived benefits. Those benefits usually include a reduction in pain, swelling and tension, experienced both physically and mentally.

As I said, I donā€™t use CBD or cannabis. Not because I have an opinion or even a fact based reason to be for or against either, but because I know I have an addictive personality.

If CBD or any other derivative of cannabis can be used to help anyone, I hope the research can be funded and myths dispelled.

6 Likes

Feel free to ignore that particular conversation but do contribute in general, I thought your post was very well informed and balanced :+1:

Cannabis remains illegal in the UK but there has been a bit of high profile debate regarding medical usage recently and itā€™s prescription by medics in particular for symptom relief. As far as I can see there seems be a really odd disconnect in how certain drugs and their usage are viewed presumably based on historical perspectives of their use.

In the event of a serious accident on the bike for example most would think nothing of being given opioid or morphine based pain relief and would be up in arms if they were denied appropriate pain relief at the time they needed it most. Using cannabis or itā€™s derivatives in similarly appropriate circumstances seems to some to be a really dangerous step towards a drug fuelled lawless society :thinking:

More research and knowledge can never be a bad thing for informed choice however contentious it might be to some and IMO is well worth discussing.

5 Likes

Stay on topic. There are some with personal attacks that have no place on this forum.

EDITED:
I deleted several posts after review this morning.
Keep it on topic and free from personal attacks, and we wonā€™t need to curate again.

8 Likes

i only have personal experience to draw from so as far as facts and science go i donā€™t have much to offer. i am a heavy CBD and weed user. first off let me state that i would never race high. i look at it like alcohol. i wouldnā€™t get drunk and try to race, thatā€™s for after. have a couple beers and chill with your buddies. goof on something your team mate did or tell stories of avoiding that ā€œnasty pile up in turn one.ā€ from reading research its way better for you than getting drunk as far as recovery and effect on the bodies functions. so this is my chill out thing for after races and after work and training is done for the day. its nice to get stoned in the evening and really enjoy dinner or feel an overwhelming sense of love and connection when i hug my partner. as far as the lack of motivation stereotype. i think lazy people smoke weed, but there are lazy people who drink milk as well and no one thinks that milk make you lazy. there are just lazy people in the world and some of them happen to smoke pot. Iā€™m a daily weed smoker, but also ride twice a day during the training year. i generally ride between 10-15 hours a week and im working on my cat 2 upgrade. so i donā€™t think its making me lazy. i agree with all the clinical studies and research and medicine and blah blah blah, however thatā€™s not why i do it. that seems to always be the trojan horse that people try to justify their habit with. i think its time weed users just come out of the closet and say I JUST LIKE GETTING STONED and thereā€™s nothing wrong with that. it doesnā€™t have to be about recovery or this or that. i like to expand my mind. i like to listen to music and feel inspired. has anyone ever had a 2 or 3 hundred mg edible and jumped in a float tank for and hour or taken a kundalini yoga class? try it some time, it gets pretty psychedelic. for those who donā€™t use weed products. thatā€™s fine, i donā€™t think anyone is asking you too. no need for personal attacks or ridicule from EITHER direction. what we do with our bodies or our consciousnesses is up to the person whos making that decision. and thereā€™s no side of that fence to be on thatā€™s correct. as far as performance benefits go idk if there is any. i feel a little less sore the next morning if i have a little CBD oil under the tongue before bed (charlottes web extra strength CBD oil if anyone is interested) but i donā€™t think its any less sore than id be if i just took NSAIDS. it just doesnā€™t ruin your liver and kidneys in the process. Iā€™ve smoked half a joint a day (get it from a buddy, who gets it from a dude, who gets it from a guy, incase anyones interested hahaha) for the last decade and ive never felt burnt lungs or effects wile im training or racing or anything like that. this is just my experience with the plant for what its worth.

love and acceptance brothers and sisters, Sub Ek (all one), Sri Hanuman, RAM RAM

19 Likes

But then drinking doesnā€™t help cycling either, and anecdotally cannabis does help inflammation, sleep and other issues that are treated with OTC and prescribed medications. Iā€™d be interested in studies but again due to itā€™s legal status there are less likely to be large scale studies yet. Although with Canada now legalising it I wonder if there will be more interest in studying the effects.

I canā€™t be the only one who has sleep issues and sore kness which CDB is often said to help, long term NSAID use is bad for your stomach so CBD could be an alternative.

Where I live itā€™s illegal, be it medical or recreational, so I have less ability to act on it if it did improve performance.

5 Likes

CBD oil is 50 state legal and available over the internet. thereā€™s no risk in trying it for yourself. Charoletteā€™s Web is kind of the gold standard in my opinion. it was developed to treat pediatric epilepsy but works wonders on sore knees. they sell different strengths. im a daily pot smoker so i use the strongest stuff but if you have no experience with the sacred plant, try the lower dose stuff as you might be more sensitive to the compound. its all THC free as its made from the male plant aka hemp. so it wonā€™t make you fail drug tests at work. give it a try

as our lord and savior, Terrence McKenna said

3 Likes

This is a well stated point, there was a time when opium was exclusively associated with the idea of Opium Dens, and the potential destruction of modern society. Now, derivatives of it are routinely prescribed literally millions of times a day.

THC which is arguably a far less destructive compound to start with, could produce a chemical in CBD or its derivatives that is as effective, and less detrimental to overall health than opioids IF we give it a chance and get some proper research done.

If on the other hand, we get a bunch ā€œshut up hippy, go help the commiesā€ (:joy::joy:) attitudes, then weā€™re stuck in neutral.

2 Likes

Has anyone found any decent research on the health impacts of vaporizers/nebulizers for dry flower?
All of the literature I have come across seems to fall into one of two buckets;

1. Vaporizers for e-cigs; most of the health impacts outlined are due to the nicotine and addictive nature of smoking and not the actual process of consumption
  2. Nebulizers for asthma medication - impacts of dosage and effectiveness of administering the medication
    Neither addresses the impacts, if any, of vapor inhalation.
    Given the use of our lungs for cycling it would be interesting to know if there are any serious adverse impacts to occasional usage.
2 Likes

I vapeā€¦ I assure youā€¦ no issues with lungsā€¦ Smokeā€¦ that is what causes issues!

There are plenty of places showing that Vaping Cannabis is the most effective way to get it in your system. This is why my Medical Dispensary issues Vape Cartridges, Edibles and Tinctures.

1 Like

Vape just cannabis or E-cig type stuff too? And how often?

I have to respectfully disagree on ā€œno issues with lungsā€ I was a regular vaper (Ecigs) and when I quit that too back in July 2017 I can honestly say I noticed a significant difference.

Iā€™ve been vaping through a Bubblerā€¦ using either Vape Cartridges with the Vapor Slide or Electronic Vaporizers like the Arizer Solo II with their ā€˜bong adapterā€™

As someone for cares for my lungsā€¦ I assure youā€¦ no issues at all for me!

I tend to medicate through out the day if required, but mostly at night as my strain is Indica dominant.

If I even sense that there is an issue, I would stop immediately!

I workout 6 times a weekā€¦ between TR HIIT session and weight liftingā€¦ no breathing issues at all!

YMMV!

3 Likes

I donā€™t smoke cannabis myself. Sometimes when Iā€™m training of an evening with the back door open for ventilation, my neighbour will go out onto his deck, light up and the smoke will drift on inā€¦ Sadly this unwanted second hand exposure seems not to given me cycling superpowers :rofl:

Sometimes I do need to yell at the poor guy - ā€œManny! MANNY! Iā€™m in the middle of an interval! Do you mind?ā€

7 Likes

LMAO!!! Oh my!!!

The same as most of the other things in this thread - this is anecdotal. Many people seem to think that the plural of anecdote is data.

Iā€™ve heard both good and bad things about vaporizers and the potential particulates that would be the vapor. The biggest negatives Iā€™ve heard are all theoretical and tied to the temperatures used to create the vapor and what that would do to the other materials in the cartridge as well as the vaporizing mechanism itself.

As with the benefits of CBD or THC there are many opinions and countless personal stories about these things but a paucity of real data.

Saying that CBD makes you sleep better or that it is totally safe to ā€˜vapeā€™ has not, as far as Iā€™m aware, been scientifically proven. Iā€™d love to see a study, or ideally, a variety of studies that investigate these things and prove or disprove a variety of hypotheses.

Unfortunately because vaporizing hardware is not considered medical equipment there is no regulation around the manufacturing and thus no incentive for companies to invest in consistent high quality materials or to conduct studies about the risks of their product. This would type of research is possible at a university and hopefully, with the huge increase in vaporizing among the general public, will start showing up soon.

The reasons for lack of studies in the US on CBD and THC have been well documented earlier in the thread, but hopefully we will start to see data on that over the next several years as it becomes legal in other developed countries and studies become feasible

Here are some of the top studies with some really good information from well founded establishments

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/top-cbd-cannabis-research-2017

Cannabidiol (CBD) passes stage 3 clinical trial for treatment of epilepsy in children.

Source: New England Journal of Medicine, May 2017

Add autism to the list of CBDā€™s medicinal benefits.

Source: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences , October 2017

Addressing 2016ā€™s biggest health scare: Does CBD turn into THC in our stomach?

Source: Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, available online December 2017

1 Like

None of them speak at all to any performance or recovery benefits though - it simply isnā€™t a high enough priority for these initial studies.

Are you aware of any that show anything like what has been discussed in this thread?