Breaking weight loss plateau?

Damn Barry, thats some heroic level weight loss. And the fact that you’ve sustained it for 9 years speaks loads to your shift in lifestyle.
So damn impressed.

2 Likes

Damn impressive Barry. That takes a huge amount of willpower and dedication. Thanks for being an inspiration!

1 Like

Thanks. It’s been worth it.

A few thoughts…firstly, eat a lot more carbs and less protein. Protein is extremely overrated for endurance athletes. You need enough, but after that calories are better off going to carbs.

I don’t think you should be focusing on weight with your current power output. Increase that first, and weight loss is much easier. Even just 300w threshold will mean you’re burning quite a lot of energy and I think you’ll find you can more or less forget about it and will happen over time.

I find that article a bit dubious but is there more peer reviewed available?

Also to the others mentioning metabolic reset: isn’t that just a rest? Sounds like potential bro science to me.

1 Like

I think the Whoosh effect is a fact. It is mentioned many times and I have also experienced a stall in weight loss followed by a sudden drop. This is for sure water, but the exact mechanism behind is probably not certain.

Well, Google scholar returns nothing and it is purported by a lot of keto Reddit pages. Not so convincing.

I’ve seen similar effects so I can see where you’re coming from, but on a long enough time scale you’ll see the gradual weight loss as expertly shown at the start of this thread (kudos Barry!).

1 Like

What I mean by metabolic reset is to slowly increase carbs so that your body adjusts (without significant weight gain) to the new intake. When I lost, after 4 weeks of reduction, I increased carbs 30g for 3-4 weeks, then another 45g for 3-4 weeks. I only increased 1-2 pounds in weight but performance on the bike went up. Then, I cut back 45g and have lost an additional 5 pounds. I am pretty much at the ride weight I desired.

Now that the OP is close to his A events, he needs the additional carbs for performance. 10 days or so after the last A event, he can cut back again. FWIW.

2 Likes

Interesting stuff though I just do not see the mechanism. Why would when chemically speaking carbs always require a % of water composition to exist then the body gets used to an increased amount? Different storage mechanisms? (I genuinely do not know so I am not trying to be a pain!)

In my case, the metabolic increase must, then, have happened pretty quickly. If I remember my weight initially went up a kg but over 2-4 days settled back down. The water increase might account for the 1-2 pound weight fluctuation. In my case, I just did what my dietician told me to do. :slight_smile:

A lot of the discussion about a metabolic reset comes from Lyle McDonald and his discussion of flexible dieting. There are studies that have looked at how people have lost weight with the question of how to prevent metabolic slowdown that is observed as one loses weight.

The flexible dieting strategy as advocated by Lyle is to diet to a certain point (8-16 weeks) then take about a 1-2 break by eating at around maintenance calories minus 10-20%. Studies (and they are there, I just don’t have time to find the references right now) show that this may counteract the slowdown in metabolism, from losing weight. It is theorized that the slowdown is combated as your hormones are regulated back to normal giving your body a break from the dieting performed. Typically these diets are higher in protein and the move to maintenance increases carb intake which should help to regulate hormones. However, the downside of the strategy is that your time on a diet is effectively lengthened which many don’t like to do. Link to a good discussion of why you may not be losing weight from him is here:

In terms of when to take this diet break, Lyle discusses that here:

Lyle is also one who reported the anecdote of the woosh effect here (note the 2009):

Since then this observation has been taken up and discussed more on internet forums. The one that is typically pointed to when someone has been on a diet, has increased their exercise activity, but has not seen the scale move is this one from reddit:

IMO, 10 days isn’t really a long time to worry about a stall. It should be around 3-5 weeks of being stalled that you should be worried. Focus on making sure you’re tracking your macros correctly and if you are in a deficit, you have to be losing fat (which is a good thing). The scale doesn’t reveal that.

2 Likes

Nutrition science is still at a very early state, and is as much an art as a science. While there is some great work being done, and certain broad principles are becoming better understood, there is still enough individual variation that some trial and error is inevitable. I also know that many usable strategies for weight loss and/or athletic performance get dismissed in casual conversation because they take weeks, months, or even years to show benefits. The search for a silver bullet is misguided, in my experience.
Best to develop good filters, search out reliable sources that represent broad consensus, and then commit to a given strategy for a period of several months. Even then, small tweaks from a well founded strategy are more likely to be efective than wholesale changes in diet.

1 Like

100% agree on the early stages of it. I have worked in research, I was a lecturer too, and do have to say the standard and rigorous nature is, well, pretty poor compared to the other sciences, but it will catch up. It does not help that it is exploited by large-scale advertising too.

1 Like

My academic background is in experimental psych, with an emphasis on research design and data analysis. It drives me more than a little nuts to see the lack of controls, low n, and ambiguous designs used by researchers and marketers who trumpet the latest silver bullet for weight loss or athletic performance.

3 Likes