Bontrager Aeolus 62 or 75 vs. HED Vanquish 80s

Trying to get some info and feedback from users here regarding the two wheels. I am likely getting a new Trek SC Gen3 and have most components to build a frameset up. I am looking at comparisons of building a frameset up with HED Pro 80s vs. getting complete bike and upgrading to RSL wheels (62 or 75) for additional $1100.
*I am getting a steep discount on bike vs. frame due to crash replacement.

I did a search and didn’t see much detail regarding the Aeolus wheels. I like the weights of the Bonts and the price seems decent. I am also considering HEDs because I get a discount based on my triathlon team. HEDs are more expensive, heavier and have more narrow internals.

Bonts:
62s are 1520 grams
75s are 1645 grams
23 inner and 30 outer

HEDS
60/60 1630 grams
80/80 1730 grams
22.4 inner 32 outer *Andy Tetmeyer of HED on ST shared the widths-not sure why HED’s site isn’t up-to-date.

What experiences do you have with either of these disc brake wheels?

I think Trek does a really good job with most of the Bontrager stuff. I’ve had a few sets of their carbon wheels and have pretty much loved them all. I’d argue that they are a better shape, and you’re getting some really nice hubs with the RSLs. The lifetime warranty is really nice too!

2 Likes

I have a set of Aeolus 5 Pros and a set of Aeolus 3Vs. So, hubs are one level down from the RSL. No complaints. They aren’t the lightest available in their size, but they’re competitive at their price points for mass-produced/name-brand wheels. I don’t know how much aero work Trek does (vs following trends or licensing aero designs from elsewhere).

Anyway, if the complete bike has a build you want, the $1100 uncharge for RSL wheels sounds like a decent deal.

Check the used market for both. I got my 5 Pros for $500 in great condition. The 3Vs came on my Checkpoint.

1 Like

Thanks for your responses (AlistairSH and Eddie). I’m kinda leaning that way. I do like the fact that their hubs are reliable. I haven’t had issues with the HED hubs, but they are in house. I will say during my test ride of the SC, the 51 pros were whisper quiet. I loved it. I am not sure I will love the louder hub of the Aeolus RSL.

You could probably quiet them down quite a bit with some of DT’s grease… :man_shrugging:

I like quiet hubs too which is why I’ve typically run DT350s.

You could go with the Aeolus Pro 51s which have the 350s.

They weigh 1,590g and are only $1,200 right now… :eyes:

I had the Aeolus Pro 37s and they were completely silent.

I’m not sure which freehub the RSL used, but a slightly heavier lube quieted my 3Vs a bit. And my 5Pros aren’t any noisier than anything else (not quiet, but not angry bees either)

1 Like

I am a major HED fanboi (they are local after all), they are nearly indestructible. I have a set of first gen Vanquish 6s on my road bike, used a curb as a berm in a crit and was certain I had broken the wheel, but scrapped off the yellow paint on the rim flange and have ridden them for another year.

3 Likes

First time I greased my DT 180 hubs they were a little noisy. Just a little more and they were quiet.

2 Likes

I have a pair for my roadbike, and I like them. THat is a pretty light set. Is the pro 51 the same shape as the newer RSLs? I think my pros are from prior to the RSL line.

Just looked at them. Looks like they are the newer rim profile…Thanks.

I also never considered greasing the hubs more to reduce the noise.

Yeah, they are the same ID and OD rim dimensions. The 62 is just deeper.

A little extra grease helps a lot! Just make sure you’re using what the manufacturer recommends and that you’re not overdoing it!

1 Like

Well, “I” won’t be the one to do it…LOL. I’ll have the shop do it.

I feel like it makes more sense to get the 62s for more versatility, but I will primarily use them on my SC…so, should I go with the 75s instead? I haven’t made the jump to tubeless, but thinking about giving it a try…I will likely be using GP5k s tr tires in 28…maybe even 28 front and 30 rear.

by SC do you mean Speed Concept? If so then I guess the 75s! :sweat_smile:

DT hubs are really simple to service which is why I love them. Especially now with the EXP hubs that are on the RSL wheels. You just pull your freehub body right off. I think there’s one spring and one ring that comes with it. Thats all!

A shop would be more than happy to pull apart a new set of RSL 75s I’m sure though… :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

I have a set of RSL 62 on my gen7 madone and I love them. The extra depth doesn’t cost extra money so you could always consider a 75 rear and a smaller one up front if you’re concerned with crosswind stability. I have found them to be pretty reasonably stable in crosswinds. The hub is noisy. Good to know that greasing them could cut down the noise a bit as I do prefer quieter hubs as well.

1 Like

Almost all modern wheels have free hubs that just pop right off. Just give a gentle tug and it’ll come free.

DT star ratchets have two springs (decent size, so they won’t get lost) and two metal plates (springs go on outside to push the plates together). The new DT EXP design simplifies this to one spring and one plate (the second plate is now machined into the hub body). Any reasonably competent person should be able to relube these at home.

Normal pawl-based designs (most of the Bontrager hubs) have 3 or 5 pawls that are spring loaded. Usually not a problem, but every once in a while, a pawl will slip loose and the tiny spring will launch across the room and land under the tool cabinet. Still easy to service at home, but needs a little extra care to not loose those springs (they aren’t loose on their own, but if the pawl slips, they can get loose). Might want to have the shop service these, as they’ll have spare pawls and springs on hand if needed.

Lube recommendation varies by wheel - but it’s almost always a heavy oil or light grease. I just use Dumonde Pro-X on all of mine and it seems to work fine.

If you’re concerned about minimum resistance for race day, you could go slightly lighter for the event. And don’t use a normal bearing grease - it’s too heavy and the pawls can stick/slip, especially in cold weather.

Really up to you. Do you have a less-deep wheel set for windy days? You could always go 75 rear and 55 front, or some other mixed set-up.

Tubeless is the way to go, IMO. Just be careful on tire/rim selection (hookless rims are a fairly new development that I’d probably skip for now - but regular hooked bead rims are fine). If not tubeless, latex or TPU tubes instead of butyl.

1 Like

Thanks. I definitely am not interested in hookless. I want the confidence in hooked wheels.
I currently have a Hed Jet+ 4 front, 6+ front and rear, 9+ rear and disc rear. Kinda overkill, but I use the 4 and 6 for training and I had the 6/9 combo from earlier and then I talked my wife into letting me get the rear disc. This is all for my current rim brake Trek SC.

I am likely selling all of the above to help fund the purchase of the new bike and wheels. I am happy with the current rim Jet+ wheels (black brake track). But, I was impressed with the ride of the aeolus pros on my road bike (disc brake). Then I saw that many people have been happy with the RSLs and their weight is better than the HEDs. I just haven’t been able to find any data on the Aeolus wheels. I know HED tested well.

The 62s would be interchangeable on my Tarmac (SL6), but doubt I would use the 75s on it.

75s are obviously not as deep as the HED 80s obviously, but I know that the HEDs come in a 60 too.