Bike broke, out for 2 weeks, what is a good running schedule instead?

Was just finished (Almost) build plan and was planning on restarting SSBMV but the bike broke and the part is due to arrive in 2 weeks. So asking all the runners out there what is the best thing to maintain fitness? Used to cycle about 9 years ago for a couple years, then got married and 3 great kids and worked full time with 4 hours of commuting a day until last year when I changed jobs and started cycling again.

I’m 38 male, FTP ~290, 71 kilos, Riding ~9 hours/week.

It hurts my ankles when I run :frowning:. I just attempted to do a 5k and was actually disappointed in finishing 25:05 after hearing Jonathan’s time of 18 minutes. Also base miles, running seems like its more uncomfortable than tempo and threshold due to all the pounding on the ankles.

Any and all advice is welcome.

How much do you usually run? If that was your first 5k in a couple of years, and you were pushing the pace, you might be in for a surprise on about Wednesday

1 Like

I never run…

When did you last run a significant amount? If not recently you may be going too hard.
Every time I tried running I end up injured, this year I did a ‘couch to 5k’ training plan, even though I could happily to run 5k anytime. The intervals and slow pace worked wonders - fitness improved quickly and all those niggly injuries I usually get didn’t happen.

After maybe 9 runs and 3 weeks I did a 25 min 5k. Had plenty more to give but it felt good and nothing hurt after.

1 Like

It’s really easy to underestimate the effect running has on your body. You have all the cardio fitness to run, but none of your muscles and bones are conditioned for it. You end up pushing too hard, and you’ll get sore.

Maybe find a gym with an excercise bike for those two weeks?

4 Likes

Guess I did underestimate. Always had a bucket list item to finish a marathon and wanted to dip my toes in to see what running was like…

Are there any trails nearby that you could run on? It’s a lot easier on the joints than road running, especially if you go from zero running to a few times a week.

I’d just stick to the base running for 6-8 weeks before starting to add in any speed or threshold work to get used to the pounding. Can be very hard on the joints and muscles.

1 Like

I’d second the gym work. If I haven’t been running in a while I like to do a few weeks of strength training and then plyometrics before kicking it off. Gives them muscles and tendons a chance to adapt. Very important as we get older.

What I’m hearing is don’t run to maintain fitness unless one is well conditioned for it. Was not planning on signing up to gym for such a short period since around me they are only yearly memberships. Maybe the answer is walking up stairs briskly Rocky style…

Sorry I didn’t mean to put you off the running :sweat_smile:. It is definitely worthwhile for keeping your fitness up.

Regarding the strength training - you can do a lot at home. Single leg squats, single leg deadlifts and core work will make a huge difference. I do all of my strength training at home at the moment I just use a couple of kettlebells. Won’t be back on the gym till after Christmas.

1 Like

Running is good, but it’s more important to ramp up the intensity slowly than with cycling. So unless you already are a runner, it’s difficult to suddenly swap to running as your main excercise, without overdoing it.

You could take those two weeks to start a running program, but while that will help stregthening your running legs, you’ll likely have to go too slow and too short to work on your aerobic fitness.

Another option would be to go swimming. Swimming is hard aerobically, but doesn’t put as much stress on your body as running.

Got it ok thanks for the valuable advice. Probably saved me weeks of recovery :smile:

See how you feel, and then decide if you want to go for any more runs?