Best workouts you can do in 30 to 45mins?

If you had to pick the absolute best workouts from TR library what would you choose? 3 or 4 different ones to do a week I’m thinking. Not following a plan, just fitting in some work when it suits.

I found Zwift has a workout in 30mins that looks good called Emily’s Short Mix:

What you think of it, good enough to keep fitness, or not enough time in each zone? Must be hard to design a 30min workout with little warmup and isn’t an absolute hellfest, but still actually gives you some adaptation…

I highly recommend checking out Time Crunch 30 and Time Crunch 45 plans listed here:

Training Plans > Specialty > Enthusiast

8 Likes

After smacking myself with a 10min hard as I could go today, I’d say that if you only had 45min

20 min warm up
20 min test
5 minute cool down

2 Likes

vo2: Spencer -3 or Huffaker -4

Suprathreshold: Elephants -3, Dicks -3

Over-under / threshold: Prater -4, Carter +3

All those look good. I’m not sure you can get too much value from threshold or tempo work in such a short space of time.

3 Likes

Agree with @KickrLin. I used the Time Crunch 45 last fall for a few months and it was an absolute ball-buster after being off the bike for 2+ months. Probably the best structured workout you’ll find for 45 minutes, 3x a week. Mostly Threshold, VO2max, and Sprint workouts, with minimal recovery between intervals. If I was pinched for time and looking for something in the offseason that didn’t follow a specific target (other than limit you to 45m), then I would go with this.

As someone who needs a bit longer to warmup I had taken to riding the first half of taku then starting something from time crunch 30. This gave me a decent 45 minutes. I know extend warmup is an option…but I like my way :smiley:

12 min warm up
4 x 4min on, 4 min off 110-120% of FTP
5 min cool down

or a 10-20 min warm up then 20 x :30-:30 and a 5 min cool down, or 10 x 1:00 on, 1:00 off

in between the hard days, take two days and just ride zone 2 for 45 minute

basically, jam in one good 20-minute set of high intensity between a warm up and cool down, or just use the time crunched plans, which will do the same thing with more variety.

2 Likes

Rather than changing workouts could just load the 30 min workout and add 15 mins to warm up at start. Less hassle that way

2 Likes

I know. As I said…I like my way :wink: Plus this way there is some variety over the 15 minutes and I know from experience that this approach actually works for me.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking… might be fun but could ultimately just be a bit of a waste of time compared to loading something with more VO2 work…

Like all out 20 min effort?

I just couldn’t face that too often :smiley:

Few could. At some point, the CNS takes over and “20 min hard as you can go” means “20 minutes as hard as you can go that day” – if you’re fresh, that means a good, evenly paced 20min test. If you’re not test-day fresh, it probably means 20min at 95-100% of FTP.

“Hard as you can go” is not a set number…it is a set perception of effort, however…