At what point does “healthy eating” become an eating disorder?

Then I’d take what she even more seriously. She may have no clue about healthy eating, but she doesn’t have to to recognize unhealthy behavior. If your wife is a therapist, it’d be like riding a bike for her.

The way you talked about food in your first post sounded off to me, too. But I don’t know you personally nor am I a psychologist. Take it for what it’s worth.

1 Like

Ahh, I only spoke about food in that way as I know I’m no monk! I have days where I might not eat 4 square meals and i would be grazing/snacking food all day.

In reference to robotic, I’m meaning it’s my relationship can be robotic. I do eat for pleasure, I love tasty food which really hits the spot! But, I don’t do it every day. I’m happy to make freezer boxes for lunch. Just straight forward slow cooked beef, loads of veg to bulk it out, a carb source and some flavourings.

Honestly, I do think some things should be allowed to be boring, it’s not penance, It helps me appreciate the good things

Clearly a lot of unknowns in this area as with anything in psychology. A lot of it is about accepting definitions.

Just throwing this into the pot though - exercise bulimia: Exercise bulimia - Wikipedia

Wouldn’t be surprised if quite a few of us have fallen into this category over the years.

As I wrote, the reason for me suggesting you take this serious have nothing to do with my ability to judge your situation specifically, I don’t and can’t, and everything to do with taking your loved one serious (especially if she is a psychologist) and the fact that you felt compelled to post here. In my experience, too few people go to psychologist and many don’t go until the problem is very severe. Psychologists can help you make sure that a tendency does not escalate into a problem. Or that you can just go to a mental professional just to double check whether you have a problem in the same way you’d go to an orthopedic to check whether the twitch in your hamstrings is something to worry about.

1 Like

I would not want to make that judgement call based on the post alone. You are right that his partner is not as objective as in other circumstances. And perhaps she has specialized in issues other than eating disorders. But I’d still maintain that rather than judge yourself (and you are way less objective about yourself than even a loved one), take that seriously. Even if the OP’s partner’s expertise elsewhere, I’d still take the advice of a gastroenterologist about a potential heart problem more seriously than if someone without a medical background said as much.

2 Likes

I would tend to agree. What the OP might think of ‘educational’ is what his partner feels is obsessive. Sometimes an external point of view is needed. Purely based on the original post, the level of defensiveness and need for external justification from this particular forum gives me pause for thought. Ultimately though, there’s too little information here.

2 Likes

Agree completely and would just add when feelings of real guilt and depression come into play when not eating right.

To go along with this, doesn’t anybody else think it’s kind of crazy that we’re getting to a point in time where we think eating healthy, or wanting to eat healthy is a disorder? Like, we’ve been so conditioned or normalized to fast food and large portions of unhealthy food, that if somebody says no to eating it, they’re questioned whether they have an eating disorder or at the very least, they’re thought of as being weird.

I’m not downplaying eating disorders, I work in medicine and they can be debilitating and absolutely damaging to the body and mind. I’m talking about probably a lot of us here wanting to fuel our bodies right, who want to maintain a healthy weight and eat foods that can prevent future disease. And we’re the ones that are being told we “might have an eating disorder.” Meanwhile putting down a Big Mac or a pint of Ben and Jerrys is cool because hey, you’re not depriving yourself of your desires, good for you.

4 Likes

+1 billion

100% to this and sugar for a lot of people is a huge addiction. Plus fast food is cheap and most people gravitate to that.

The plus side of regular training is that fast food is not cheap :slight_smile: I have to eat two sets from McD (and I am very lean) to satisfy my hunger and this is around 2-3x more expensive than normal, homemade, full of nutriton meal :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“If “we” go to McDonald’s, I’m happy not to have anything as I generally feel pretty rubbish after eating one”

I have a young son and he sees going to McDonalds as a special treat. One of the luxuries of cycling is that we can eat pretty much whatever. Its not the end of the world to eat a burger, particularly if you never do. I’d say, unless you are a vegetarian, that if in these circumstances, you cannot bring yourself to eat a burger, that’s unusual, a discussion point, and potentially means you should take your other half seriously. For what its worth, I track calories in Cronometer. But I will happily nail a beer and some Pringles.

In fact, what message would I be sending my son, if I took my family to McDonalds, on the odd occasion, and then just sat there not eating with them?

2 Likes

Sorry, I think I’ve been a little misconstrued. I love Big Mac sauce, tastes great. Double whopper with bacon, awesome. Fries, take it or leave it, not really a fries-guy. If it’s a soda, il choose the diet option from habit.

I literally feel rubbish after, if I do eat a burger. Stomach is in knots, diarrhoea etc. Steak, no probs. Mince meat, no probs. Burger, poopsville.

Il happily have a coffee there, steal a chicken nugget. But the calories vs benefit/drawback don’t weigh in McDonald’s favour. Wagamamas every time!

2 Likes